Baseline temperature monitoring while underway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hydraulicjump

Vessel Name
Off Leash
Vessel Make
Helmsman 38e
I have not assembled baseline temperatures for various parts of our our newish to us Helmsman with a QSB 6.7 engine. Other than the obvious tracking of coolant temperature (a reliable 163 F), I am curious to hear what long range cruisers monitor with their IR thermometers on a regular basis. Just looking for a “you ought to have baseline info on the following” list. Thanks, as always. This forum is invaluable.

Jeff

This list is sure to grow!
Alternators, idling and under load.
Dock side connections
Shaft seals....

I always make sure the the coolant temp gage matches the IR gun reading. Taken at the temperature sender. Doesn’t have to match exactly but reasonably close. Then you can trust your gage and monitor that.

I mark my temperature spots big with a black sharpie so that I hit the exact same spot every time. Each are numbered in an easily repeatable sequence. Places I mark off the top of my head:
Oil filter can
Oil cooler outlet
Transmission case top
Next to the coolant temperature sender
The engine thermostat housing
Coolant header tank top
Exhaust riser top of elbow
Alternator frame
Fuel injection pump inlet
Shaft packing gland
Generator casing plus same stuff as the main where possible

Hi, I have a 2019 6.7 L 250hp Cummins, reliably at 163/164 degrees. I do tap some water for stabilization and pss seal. Waters cool in sfo.

These are great

Probe attached with electrical ties to exhaust elbow for heads up of water issues - has saved us twice.
And yesterday, probe attached to Alt with electrical ties to see effects of dc2dc charger X 2

https://engineguard.com.au/shop/

Will get another soon for gearbox oil filter and engine oil filter

I hit

Thermostat housings
Alternator cases
Oil filters
Oil sumps
Exhaust elbows
Exhaust hoses
Center of transmission cases
Stabilizer hydraulic pump center body
Stabilizer oil reservoir

Ken

Thanks everyone. I will set these temps up in my logbook. I really like the idea of a sharpie mark (at least on the light colored stuff) so that you have genuinely reproducible measurements. I remember well one of the Slowboat trips where Sam Landsman picked up an increase in temps on his alternator and had to have one flown in. It was the temperature that told him he was about to have a problem. His other problem--getting the pulley off--is for another thread.

I hit

Stabilizer hydraulic pump center body
Stabilizer oil reservoir

Ken

Yes to those, and anything else hydraulically powered, such as assisted steering or hydraulic winches. A hydraulic system filter that is neglected for long enough will result in hot lines and fittings, which are a recipe for all manner of troubles. I discovered this once by casually resting my hand on an above-deck hydraulic hose powering an anchor windlass, and thinking, wow - that shouldn't be so hot!

Some good ideas so far. See also the photos from Tony Athens showing suggested monitoring locations. https://www.sbmar.com/articles/ir-gun-temperature-check/
I checked my engine several times per year, as well as while we were running WOT for a few minutes. If temps rise too much (above your baselines) while at WOT, it can be an indication of possible impending trouble, suggesting further investigation.

Back
Top Bottom