Battery charger conundrum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DrQ

Vessel Name
Deep Blu
Vessel Make
1990 46' BestWay Sundeck Trawler
I have a hdm 70 battery charger on my 46' Bestway. It constantly has a buzzing noise and I never see the gauge move on it.

Is the buzzing noise common are my batteries are in jeopardy?

Thank you,
TQ

Last edited:
More info might help. Charger make and type, battery size and type, that sort of thing?

A link to your charger? I'm looking at the Newmar site and they do not make it easy.
I can't , at least, easily find your model.
Is yours one of the power supplies that can be modified to operate as battery charger?

I suspect it should not be noisy except for any cooling fan and even those used are usually quite quiet.

As for your question "are my batteries safe" who knows. Need more information.
What testing have you done, amperage, voltage? What kind of batteries and how old are they?

I tried to upload a pic but this site is difficult to post on.

The batteries are new.

Your right. Let me investigate this more. I was just wondering if it was common for these types of charger to have a continuous buzz.

I googled HDM 70 battery charger. It led me to Newmar Power web site. I looked under manuals and found one for a HDM 24 35. When I opened the manual it said it covers the HadM 70. According to the manual the HDM series are a ferro-resonant charger. That is likely where the buzzing noise is coming from. I would read the whole manual and see how it charges. Most ferro-resonant chargers I have seen are really good at cooking batteries and run them dry.

After eight years, my charger/invert is needing replacement.

We have an ancient OEM ferro resonant 60A charger,puts out lots of amps when I ask for them. Solar maintains the batts when docked so no need to leave the charger running but if I did, that`s when it might cause trouble by constant overcharging.
I don`t notice loud buzzing, but I do see output on the gauage.

Check the voltage at the output terminals. After charging all day the voltage should be 13.0-13.8. This voltage is the key to long battery life. Any higher and it will slowly boil electrolyte.

If you have batteries with filler caps, a high float voltage is ok as long as you check and add water periodically.

David

I googled HDM 70 battery charger. It led me to Newmar Power web site. I looked under manuals and found one for a HDM 24 35. When I opened the manual it said it covers the HadM 70. According to the manual the HDM series are a ferro-resonant charger. That is likely where the buzzing noise is coming from. I would read the whole manual and see how it charges. Most ferro-resonant chargers I have seen are really good at cooking batteries and run them dry.

Great. Thank you

ferro-resonant chargers often buzz. They are not sophisticated like new chargers but do the job.

I suggest measuring the voltage at the battery with the charger on and off If it is working spend boat bucks on something else.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom