Battery charger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Dread Pirate Robert

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Blessing
Vessel Make
Jefferson 42
The battery charger on my Jefferson 42 just shorted out and smoked up the entire boat. Disconnected and removed now needs to be replaced.
My charging needs are: one battery for the generator start, two batteries for the twin engine start, and a six battery bank of agm for house that are also charged by 4 solar panels and provide power for the 3000 watt inverter. I only use the built in charger when using shore power on cloudy days to help the solar and the inverter is turned off.
Can I get some recommendations for a replacement charger.

I have a Magnum 3000W/150A inverter/charger. I have had persistent issues with it 'clipping' under load meaning there is a relay-click and the system disconnects for a fraction of a second. Not a problem unless there is some sort of compressor-like load on it such as my watermaker or air conditioner. I started a thread on it a few months ago. Their tech-support was unresponsive. Best theory of the fault was from this forum - likely a software/firmware issue.

As a result, I'll be dragging a Victron multiplus down to Mexico when I return in October. Needless to say, my opinion is do NOT buy a Magnum.

Good luck -

Peter

What I would do would be to buy the 3 bank Victron battery charger for your genny batt and your 2 start batts (thats 3 batteries there) I just purchased this for my boat and it has bluetooth so you can monitor it from your phone this one is for 12Volt systems and is only $200. https://defender.com/en_us/victron-...&utm_term=4581115212407952#493=9045&615=34398.
Then, have a dedicated Inverter Charger for your house bank. Victron makes a ton of choices there too.

I will take a moment to caution people on Inverters and chargers. There was a time when Heart was at the top of the game. They got replaced with Trace. Unfortunately, both were bought by Xantrex who destroyed both products by building them as cheaply as possible. Magnum stepped in and took over with good quality equipment and good service. Alas, they have been bought up and I can no longer recommend them. If you purchase a Magnum more than 6 years ago you probably will be just fine but, I'm not likely to steer anyone in that direction now. Currently, I wouldn't buy anything but Victron. Outback has produced some really quality stuff but I don't see anything new coming out and I fear that they are currently going down hill. I no longer feel comfortable placing my future in their hands.

That said, I would recommend Victron. Certainly not the cheapest but, I think it is the best value in the long run.

The battery charger on my Jefferson 42 just shorted out and smoked up the entire boat. Disconnected and removed now needs to be replaced.
My charging needs are: one battery for the generator start, two batteries for the twin engine start, and a six battery bank of agm for house that are also charged by 4 solar panels and provide power for the 3000 watt inverter. I only use the built in charger when using shore power on cloudy days to help the solar and the inverter is turned off.
Can I get some recommendations for a replacement charger.

Were it me, I'd probably look to install a 3-bank charger for the two start banks and the genset battery. Victron with Bluetooth, or maybe ProMariner ProNautic.

And then I'd change your current inverter to a Victron inverter/charger, with Bluetooth and internal automatic transfer.

That would probably also give you more control over voltage settings appropriate for each of the 4 banks. Especially useful if your 6-battery AGM bank is made up of Lifeline 6Vs... since Lifeline usually recommends lower float voltages compared to other battery brands.

-Chris

I have a Magnum 3000W/150A inverter/charger. I have had persistent issues with it 'clipping' under load meaning there is a relay-click and the system disconnects for a fraction of a second. Not a problem unless there is some sort of compressor-like load on it such as my watermaker or air conditioner. I started a thread on it a few months ago. Their tech-support was unresponsive. Best theory of the fault was from this forum - likely a software/firmware issue.

As a result, I'll be dragging a Victron multiplus down to Mexico when I return in October. Needless to say, my opinion is do NOT buy a Magnum.

Good luck -

Peter
Oh Peter, "do not buy a Magnum" applies to new buys. Since you have one, let it work as designed until it dies.
Your clipping is the inverter working correctly. You have a 3000W continuous and then a temp peak bump of maybe 3500W before it clips due to overload.
By all means get your Victron but leave the Magnum connected, split the load and have redundancy. When you have 2 chances are one will be working.

Oh Peter, "do not buy a Magnum" applies to new buys. Since you have one, let it work as designed until it dies.
Your clipping is the inverter working correctly. You have a 3000W continuous and then a temp peak bump of maybe 3500W before it clips due to overload.
By all means get your Victron but leave the Magnum connected, split the load and have redundancy. When you have 2 chances are one will be working.
The Magnum is most definitely not working "as designed." Not an overload issue - it happens every 34-seconds regardless of load. Has always had it but I didn't realize it was a fault condition until I tried running my watermaker off it and realized it was not normal. I have managed to do a hard reset which cures it until I plug into shorepower, but last time even the hard reset didn't see to do the trick.

I opened a trouble ticket with Magnum (or whover they are these days) and received no response after several follow-ups and waiting several weeks. One person on this forum postulated the new company lost the brain trust of engineers and can no longer support issues. Perhaps.

Inverter is about 4-5 years old at this point. All I can say is Magnum is on my DO NOT RECOMMEND list these days.

Peter

I have had a Magnum going on 4 yrs now. So far so good! There tech support I must say is very good.

I have a few Victron products and I do like them. My only problem with Victron is that you must go to the seller for support. You can not call them directly like Magnum. SO don't buy Victron from anyone that can not support it if you have any questions.

I have had a Magnum going on 4 yrs now. So far so good! There tech support I must say is very good.

I have a few Victron products and I do like them. My only problem with Victron is that you must go to the seller for support. You can not call them directly like Magnum. SO don't buy Victron from anyone that can not support it if you have any questions.
Good reminder about buying Victron from a reputable dealer with tech support (I use PKYS).

How did you get decent tech support from Magnum? I received the following auto-response when I opened the trouble-ticket but nothing else.

Peter

Thank you for contacting Sensata Customer Service. We will be reaching out to you in your local working hours to assist you shortly regarding case number 00519930 with subject - Tech support for MAGNUM MSH3012M.
We appreciate your business.
Thank You,
Sensata Customer Service Team

I called them a few times when I installed lithium batteries. They were very helpful.
When? Because I have an open ticket for a circuit board I no longer need, another story. I had an immediate reply confirmation of case opened about a year ago from Senseta and this year two request for a status with no reply. I agree would not buy another now, new stock on hand is being sold, buyer beware, no support or parts according to the shop I went to. Until all stock is sold do not expect an official Magnum is dead.

When? Because I have an open ticket for a circuit board I no longer need, another story. I had an immediate reply confirmation of case opened about a year ago from Senseta and this year two request for a status with no reply. I agree would not buy another now, new stock on hand is being sold, buyer beware, no support or parts according to the shop I went to. Until all stock is sold do not expect an official Magnum is dead.
Guessing you were the other person on the forum who I said had a similar 'crickets' experience with Senseta/Magnum. Thanks for your post.

I chose Magnum over Victron a few years ago because it was more of a standalone product meaning it didn't need a bunch of other stuff. I've now grown accustomed to the Victron ecosystem though I have to say, watching newer off grid kit tells me there is much cooler stuff on the horizon that is much easier to integrate and install. But for now, for 12v/24v marine/RV applications, tough to beat Victron.

Peter

I had no problems reaching them. This was about 2 years ago. And another time last year. I dont know what to tell you?

Victron makes a very good product that can be networked with other devices.

I had no problems reaching them. This was about 2 years ago. And another time last year. I dont know what to tell you?

Victron makes a very good product that can be networked with other devices.
My request that I cut/paste above was Feb 8 2024. Might be something fairly recent. I may try opening another ticket.

Glad things went well for you Iggy. Always good for folks to get multiple views.

Peter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom