Best EPIRB for 2021

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptTom

Guru
Vessel Make
Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
It's time to replace my old Category I McMurdo EPIRB. I'm looking at options, and interested in hearing what others have done.

I'm pretty sure I want:
- Cat I (Automatic release)
- Built-in GPS (I think they all have that now)
- Fully enclosed mounting bracket/case
- User replaceable battery

What am I missing? Any other "must have" features?

Is ACR basically the only game in town now?

Best place to buy? Any special offers/sales/rebates?

Finally, with the price of Cat I EPIRBs, I'm wondering if my strategy is wrong. I already have a PLB. Maybe a couple more, one for the dinghy, one on deck? They would cost about the same as one EPIRB.

I think the one I bought in 2017 is an ACR Cat 1 with user changeable battery. I kept and rebatteried the Cat 2 in my pilothouse and have a PLB on my inflatable PFD. Personally I don't think you can have too many. An automatic deployment is important and one to be with you on your PFD is important.

Ted

do not have either but checking into personal AIS ones as they may replace epirbs in the future

There was a 27-foot Albermarle that flipped over 16 miles off the beach here recently. Einstein had run out to the Chesapeake Light Tower to fish in lousy weather. There were no other boats out there. He decided to tie up to the light tower with a stern line.

Needless to say, it didn't end well.

ONE guy had on a personal EPIRB. Because of that, they all lived. The boat was not equipped with one.

I have an old McMurdo FastFind on my boat, in the ditching bag. I went with the McMurdo because at the time there were running a "free batteries for life" promotion. It's easily replaced by the owner. The ACR was about the same price as I recall, but the batts were expensive and could only be replaced by the factory. So, the decision seemed easy to me. I read a mess of reviews and the performance was essential a toss-up since the McMurdo had recently its internals upgraded.

Starting to think the personal beacons are the way to go unless you spend all your time on your own boat.

EPIRB PURCHASE - Garmin inReach Explorer+

Was planning a trip and wanted to get an epirb/maybe PLB.

After some of research (on this site and online) seems like folks are loving the Garmin inReach Explorer+ (Not so much on this forum, bit it seems like relatively new tech)

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Explorer-Satellite-Communicator-Navigation/dp/B01MY03CZP/?tag=boatsafe-20

From manufacturer:

- 100% global Iridium satellite coverage enables 2-way text messaging from anywhere (satellite subscription required).
- Trigger an interactive SOS to the 24/7 search and rescue monitoring center.
- Track and share your location with family and friends.
- Pair with mobile devices using the free Earthmate app for access to downloadable maps, U.S. NOAA charts, color aerial imagery and more.
inReach Explorer+ device adds preloaded DeLorme -
- TOPO maps with onscreen GPS routing plus built-in digital compass, barometric altimeter and accelerometer.

Not too sure about the new tech. I’ll be offshore +75 mile for a few stretches of a few days.

The texting and weather options are nice, but I grew up on the big ol” clunker epirbs on families commercial fishing rigs.

I wanted to get some feedback from folks from a technical perspective. (I know that there may be some practical advantages/disadvantages or preferences such as one being big and yellow and easy to locate etc.....)

I just want to know that if I an 75 miles offshore and hit a shipping container and sinking is inevitable, that I hit the godamn button and it works, and will continue to work for the next 48 hours.

I may be approaching this as a simpleton, but i always assume I don't know things.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• D2B12708-9E86-4706-9101-52E1F345B93D.jpeg
    D2B12708-9E86-4706-9101-52E1F345B93D.jpeg
    13.1 KB · Views: 86
As far as I know, non EPIRB/PLBs are not directly in the SAR network.

While that doesn't mean a separate system doesn't work...... what guarantees are there that it will when you need it?

True these other devices have great "other" features but what is their primary function versus everything they do? Maybe things like the Inreach might be best if paired with a PLB

I use and very much like the Garmin inReach products. I've used them for routine comms, urgent comms and letting those ashore easily track me. To get the best out of it I have a dedicated person ashore who I can trust to keep track of me, stand by if need be and handle shore comms when I need help.

The weather services leaves a lot to be desired. Nearly useless in my experience. My workaround for that is if I have no other devices available on a trip I will ask my DP ashore to read the best wx sources available and send me a briefing.

What the inReach will not replace in my opinion is a dedicated EPIRB in true emergency situations. I want both.

InReach isn’t exactly new tech. I’ve had DeLorme versions for more than a dozen years before Garmin bought them. Unlike EPIRBs and PLBs which go directly to COSPAS/SARSAT, InReach goes to a private company GEOS which then contacts emergency agencies and which Garmin also acquired. Nothing inherently wrong with that and I’ve not heard any complaints about service, just that there’s a middleman. Also, EPIRBS/PLBs use dedicated satellites while InReach uses the Iridium network. Again, nothing inherently wrong, just that SARSAT is set up for that distinct and sole purpose.

I use a Garmin Montana 700i for its two way communication and tracking as well as maps and charts for other purposes. I view the SOS function more as a back up to two PLBs.

In 2007-13, I was with the military in Whitehorse Yukon. We would send out five platoons to very remote locations. We were always nervous about locating them in case of emergency. So we used first generation SPOTS. We could track the platoons with the signals being sent out every 10 minutes.

A few times we were able to reach the platoons telling them they had gone the wrong way after watching their signals take a wrong turn. We'd call them on a SAT phone. So I followed SPOT accident reports for about a year. The first boater to use SPOT in a rescue situation was off the coast of Australia, sailboat beaten down in a storm. The signal went out, proper S&R types notified and the rescue made.

Another famous rescue here in Canada was a military aircraft flying up in the high North, higher than Whitehorse, Anchorage, Yellowknife and it went down. Some one on board had a recreational SPOT for snowmobiling in the high north. That SPOT was activated, the military went in and rescued the downed personnel. Even a first generation SPOT is very effective for emergency signals, you can probably pick one up for about $25 used now.

...After some of research (on this site and online) seems like folks are loving the Garmin inReach Explorer+ (Not so much on this forum, bit it seems like relatively new tech)...

...I just want to know that if I an 75 miles offshore and hit a shipping container and sinking is inevitable, that I hit the godamn button and it works, and will continue to work for the next 48 hours...

A bit off topic (I'm the OP) but I have had an InReach for a few years now and I can attest that they're great to have.

I haven't personally used their emergency function, but I see that as no more than a backup to a "real" EPIRB. For one thing, it adds an intermediary between you and the SAR authorities, and the ability to text them may be helpful or it may slow down the response, depending on the situation.

In addition to having a mounted EPIRB on my own boat, I carry an InReach and PLB on deliveries.

I strongly doubt the InReach would be able to communicate continuously for 48 hours. Standby, yes.

This was great. Thank you. Makes sense.

I appreciate the time folks took to provide me the advice.

An EPIRB it is.

Thanks again

A

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom