Best open-top tool bag?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The canvas Riggers Bag is made by a company called "Bucket Boss." They have a decent collection of tool bags - more expensive than Husky, less expensive than Veto. The Veto seems to have a lot more pockets which is what I'm looking for. They seem to have a variety of bags, but not the 10-inch cube one favored for electricians bags which is closer to what I'm thinking.

For me, this all started almost 40-years ago when I first saw a tool organizer for a 5-gal pail. I had one for years. Didn't help that my 3-lb mini-sledge always seemed to be hiding in the bottom.

Peter

Attachments

• 1726236114220.png
    1726236114220.png
    411.1 KB · Views: 7
The canvas Riggers Bag is made by a company called "Bucket Boss." They have a decent collection of tool bags - more expensive than Husky, less expensive than Veto. The Veto seems to have a lot more pockets which is what I'm looking for. They seem to have a variety of bags, but not the 10-inch cube one favored for electricians bags which is closer to what I'm thinking.

For me, this all started almost 40-years ago when I first saw a tool organizer for a 5-gal pail. I had one for years. Didn't help that my 3-lb mini-sledge always seemed to be hiding in the bottom.

Peter
I use a bucket boss to this day at home.

Peter

I have one of those for a bucket and have found it to not be terribly useful for me. Too prone to tipping over and takes up a lot of room. Good for some oddly shapes items however.

My two 10" Husky's arrived today (next day free delivery from HD) and they are perfect for my needs. I'm glad they are not larger, seem to be just about perfect. Plenty of pockets and also plenty of room in the middle to drop in a cordless drill or a hydraulic crimper, saber saw...

Also like the folding steel padded carry handle, much easier than straps.

Going to spend some quality time reloading my tools next visit - :)

2 questions - how do you all feel about the hard plastic bottom on some of those bags. Do they scuff anything? Do they slide around at all?

The other comment is I like to use smaller bags so I can bring a small bag containing the likely things I'll need, and make a second tool run if I need to. If I carry everything I own to every project then I'm carrying a lot of hard to handle weight to every job. Plus, I like to stow smaller bags than 1 really big bag.

2 questions - how do you all feel about the hard plastic bottom on some of those bags. Do they scuff anything? Do they slide around at all?

The other comment is I like to use smaller bags so I can bring a small bag containing the likely things I'll need, and make a second tool run if I need to. If I carry everything I own to every project then I'm carrying a lot of hard to handle weight to every job. Plus, I like to stow smaller bags than 1 really big bag.

I am looking for an "80% bag." The grab-bag that has tools needed for 80% of the oddball stuff that needs doing. The 10" x 10" Seems to be a good size, but many don't have many pockets. I do keep a pair of crimpers and some crimp fittings in it, but have a separate bag for electrical stuff. Especially on a boat, electrical seems to be part of the 80%. But that's me.

The Veto "Marine" bags claim to have a rubberized bottom that will not mar/scuff yacht finishes. I own a boat, not a yacht so not a big deal to me, but I understand the concern. Presumably they don't slide around much either.

Peter

So the cheap bag that I got from Amazon to use for my electrical gear has worked out well. So well that I decided to splurge on the Veto Pro bag.

This is the bag I got from Amazon for my electrical gear. It has a plastic base, is 20" long, and is pretty basic. However, it has worked pretty well. It has a plastic bottom which is something I wanted.

1727472309160.png

This is the bag that I ordered and will arrive on Monday. It is not something that I anticipate carrying around a lot. My current 24" tool box is just too damn heavy and the tool bag won't be any lighter. It will be easier to carry with a shoulder strap. The advantage that I see with the bag is that I won't be having to dig around in the bottom of my tool box to to find what I need. Most of the time. I will be taking out the tools I need and putting them in a carry tray that I have.

It sill is too damn expensive, but I finally thought about the amount of time and frustration of digging through my tool box and decided the expense will be worth it. At least I hope so.

Veto Pro Pax XXL-F Tool Bag

Back
Top Bottom