Biggest boat for 1 1/2 persons to operate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phillippeterson

What is the biggest boat you would have if you were handling by yourself? Or, for us, handled by 1 1/2 persons. My wife is not adept at things like handling a can opener - much less a boat. Her contributions in life are great, just not mechanical.

Yes, it's plain that some folks have the experience and skills to do amazing things. And this answer will be different for everyone. There won't be an iron-clad rule coming out of this question.

And then there may be folks like me. I'm certainly both ignorant and naive. And my imagination gets me into predicaments sometimes. What I think I could do and what I really can do are usually different. I do have some experience on boats far from land in the Bering Sea, the Atlantic, the Pacific, the Indian Ocean and other places - as casual crew. I do have quite a bit of coastal experience either solo or with others on board. I can fly a floatplane and a helicopter (I'm an instructor in both). I've been flying forty years and still earn my living that way but would honestly evaluate myself as only average (I hope I'm at least that good). I can rebuild an engine. I can use a chainsaw.

I'm aware of energy management, as in, don't approach a dock any faster than you want to hit it.

I have sailed a 60 foot sloop single handed. My imagination tells me I could handle up to a 70 foot trawler.

I'm not looking for an evaluation of my skills, just an opinion from you on what might be reasonable with regards to docking, anchoring, and general operation of a somewhat large trawler. We would often have other guests or family to help with getting underway, but would mostly be just the two of us.

It seems like most modern trawlers equipped with thrusters, joysticks, etc. wouldn't be "that" hard to handle. And, from flying for personal missions as opposed to the commercial operations I usually do, I often make the decision to wait it out when conditions aren't right. A schedule is the worst thing to have on a boat or plane.

I'm kind of more interested in what size YOU could handle and I'll extrapolate from there.

I have my big boy pants on so let the comments fly.

Last edited:
It depends a lot on layout and equipment. My 38 footer is basically unreasonable to singlehand for docking in all but dead calm conditions. No thrusters and the layout means there's not quick enough access from the helm to the side decks. Some layout changes and/or thrusters with a remote would make a huge difference and I've seen other, larger boats singlehanded without issue.

In general, you'll want to look at each potential boat for things like how quickly you can get between the helm and the dock, what controls can easily be made remote, how easily you could come into a dock, apply a spring line and then power against it to hold the boat in place, etc.

It depends. With average wind and current conditions and other variables (docking configuration, etc.), I would feel fairly comfortable single handing about 40 feet and less.

As we age we become less nimble (no more jumping off boat to the dock ) my wife and I have mitigated the ageing issue with equipment. Thrusters and the ability to remote the operation of throttles, thrusters and rudder position enable us to safely operate a 50fter. I see no reason that 60+ could be operated with the right equipment

I have sailed a 60 foot sloop single handed. My imagination tells me I could handle up to a 70 foot trawler.

There is almost no upper limit on size for single-handed docking if the boat is set up well and the conditions are reasonable. Larger boats usually get blown around less so if you have a control station with good visibility and a manuevarable boat (thrusters), you can put it on the dock. The challenges occur when you can’t see the corners or the off side of the boat in a tight marina and need spotter(s) to help with that.

In overall practical terms, I suggest you think more about how much boat you want to clean and maintain yourselves, if that is your plan. Also, how far do you want to be separated from your wife and other guests on the boat? Can you see the galley or salon from the pilothouse/helm? Will you need to figure out where on the boat your wife is reading her book before you can ask her a question?

Find a boat that you can comfortably afford and that you are comfortable spending time on. Consider distance between spaces; enough but not too much. Especially with your background, the max boat size that you can run will be a larger size than what will be a good fit for the 1 1/2 of you.

Where thigs get dicey are when you fit big boats into little spaces.

Doesn't matter if it's a rowboat or a super tanker with tugs.

Me.... I guess 75 feet might be the max...but if I am handling it with 1.5 people...seems like about 25 feet more than I need unless crossing oceans.

Things like locks and small fuel docks, crowded marinas, some haul out facilities all will/might require extra hands aboard or on the docks...but anchoring out most of the time and open waters both allow a lot of flexibility in size and small crews.

With enough engines, including thrusters and remote/portable operating station(s).... the size limit goes up accordingly.

The biggest factors usually are experience, agility, and cool headedness of the skipper.

Last edited:
Depends on you and it depends on the boat. I have seen 70’ narrow light weight boats that I could single hand and I have seen 50’ wide tall heavy boats that I could not single hand.

On average I would say 45’ is pushing it for the average person on an average boat. 35’ would be comfortable for most people on most boats.

Boats move much slower obviously than float planes and helicopters (I too used to fly those).

I can single hand a 60’, but not without its nervous moments at times. The only issues in normal conditions are sight lines and line handling when docking. My boat has low decks etc so it’s easier. You have someone that can help with line handling. And you can get a remote to allow for the sight lines when docking.

Like flying single pilot IFR, the other issue is that in an emergency the work load could get too much for one person. Even little things like lowering the tender, getting an anchor unstuck, etc are much easier with two people though.

Last edited:
I have a 45' boat. Cruised 31,000+ miles in the last 7 years with 99% of the time solo. I could go larger, but how much more room do you really need?

For me, the bigger question is what do you plan to do with the boat? Passage making is probably out with 1.5 people. I've done over 200 locks this year. Depending on the lock, that can be significantly more challenging than docking. Are you planning on anchoring out in places with significant currents? Anchor retrieval in significant currents or strong winds can be truly challenging.

Why don't you define the mission before choosing the boat.

Ted

I agree with others. Size isn't the main issue; layout and equipment are more important.

If you have to do the work, you need to be able to get to where that works needs being done. And/or things like thrusters -- or the more elaborate "yacht controller" systems -- can level the playing field a bit (or a lot).

And then it also depends on whether your definition does or does not include help from dock hands.

Length is sorta beside the point, at least up to a certain limit. (Not sure where that limit might be.)

-Chris

The biggest - 75'
Average single handed- 45'
Starter single handed - 35'

Experience and layout are the big factors here.

Depends on you and it depends on the boat. I have seen 70’ narrow light weight boats that I could single hand and I have seen 50’ wide tall heavy boats that I could not single hand.

On average I would say 45’ is pushing it for the average person on an average boat. 35’ would be comfortable for most people on most boats.

Good advice. I recently sold a 42+ twin-engine trawler which I had single-handed for more than half of my six-year ownership. While I handled it with little anxiety for extended cruising (one was five months), I always felt this would be a lot easier had I bought in the 32' range, and I probably would still own that hypothetical boat at age 78.

I have a 49’ DF with twins, bow & stern thrusters incl. Bluetooth remote so I can stand at gunwhale or on dock for that matter and control lines, so happy to single hand & do frequently. Exception is 15-20 + knots wind blowing off the dock. I need someone to get a spring line hooked on in those conditions. As others have stated, layout is paramount. We have walk around decks <2’ above the water except the bow. Many aft cabin/motor yacht layouts, though spacious, can make aft line handling a challenge with floating docks. A side door adjacent to the wheel/Pilothouse is also essential for single handing.
That said, Herb Seaton single handed the Loop twice in his 50’ Motor yacht Phanthom. We travelled quite a few miles, along with Herb in the Trent Severn in 2016. After watching him, my admiral (similar boating skills to yours perhaps) convinced me to get the remote control for the thrusters when we moved up to our 49’ from a GB36 classic (twins, no thrusters). The 49 is significantly easier to dock than the 36. I really would not want to maintain more than a 50 footer especially since 95% of our cruising is just the 2 of us.

Thought about it while I read the other posts.

I have yet to handle a boat that I cannot single hand so do not have a basis for an answer. But whether I am solo or with a crew of 1 or more, I am still handling it solo until alongside a dock and ready to tie up.
My answer, the limitation on handling a boat solo is you.

I will need my wife to help docking if the wind and current are not favorable. I can follow her instructions from the helm, but someone has to be there until she can loop the dock cleat and secure the line.

If the conditions are good, I could do it alone I am sure. If not I would need help. Maybe a dock attendant? Maybe none there.

I could do an out and back to my home slip no problem all by myself.

But an adventure all by myself, not ready for that yet.

As others have said, almost any size boat can be set up to to single-hand or short-hand, and that's especially true if you're operating mostly from a familiar dock. I have routinely singlehanded a 50' sailing vessel, leaving from / returning to the same dock every time, anchoring in well-known conditions, etc. And I have captained a 125' boat running with just one lightly-trained deckhand - again, in familiar settings.

That said, for cruising in new waters and visiting unfamiliar marinas that may present you with tight maneuvering, complicated wind / current factors and untrained dock personnel to (supposedly) take your lines, etc., my feeling is that something in the mid 40' range is about right. For example, I'd go anywhere singlehanded in a 42' Grand Banks with confidence.

In the old days- If you could afford a 75-100 foot yacht you had a paid crew to handle lines etc. In my opinion two people probably don't need that large of a boat.

In the old days- If you could afford a 75-100 foot yacht you had a paid crew to handle lines etc. In my opinion two people probably don't need that large of a boat.

The only time you really need a boat is when the one you're on is sinking and the one next to it isn't.

Appropriately equipped, upper limit is more financial than practical.

Peter

Personally I had a 42' (loa 47) docked and tied myself for years. Twin screw parked like a car. I would venture out alone fishing all the time. Now I have a 61 (loa65) . Need 2 people for vision. My wife and I use headsets. She is on the stern relaying info. Once at the dock she mands the helm and follows my instruction for tying . Bump , thrust etc. . I tie the boat from the boat , staying on board incase there is a helm issue. I pretty much handle and line the boat myself plus her eyes. This boat has great controls . Bow ,/stern thrusters , twin screws, and joystick. I can really make this girl dance at the dock. Working on a camera system to improve my awareness for docking.

My wife and I are quite comfortable handling our 68' LOA 100,000 pound boat. When more people are on board, we ask them to simply be quiet and resist the temptation to help while docking / disembarking (the only times they could be helpful). It helps that the boat is twin engine and has a bow thruster. We never have the need to be nimble or quick, and in that regard, the boat's size (inertia) is a benefit. Also, a boat of this size can't be manhandled anyway. It is really just a matter of me getting it along side the dock or into the slip, and holding it there while my wife ties some lines. Then hooking up shore power, shutting down the mains and turning off the radar is done at our leisure. The only other critical thing she needs to do, particularly when leaving the dock, is to stand at the far side of the Portuguese bridge (close quarters maneuvering is always done from the wing stations on the PB) and watch for traffic (I can't see that side of the boat from the other wing station).

I can imagine that other designs (particularly those without twins or that lack a bow thruster or that lack good visibility along the sides of the boat) would require more than two to operate safely.

I’ve spent the last six months helping friends run/maintain a 77’ single screw trawler, and I’m just wrapping up a couple weeks cruising on my own 50’ single screw trawler. Both boats are built for ocean crossing, so it’s an interesting comparison.

The biggest advantages of the 77 are:
-Space, at least four times the interior volume. Lots more space on deck for toys. Also space for things like a real workbench in the engine room and plumbed in new and used oil tanks!
-Seakindliness, the boat weighs twice as much and is more comfortable when it’s bumpy, underway or at anchor
-Redundancy. A second generator, watermaker, etc. More to maintain, but more flexibility on when/where to do the maintenance or repairs.
-Range/speed. Only really an issue crossing oceans.

The biggest disadvantages of the 77:
-Everything is bigger. Lines, fenders, etc, and there are more of them. Launching flopper stoppers on my 50 is a one person, 5 minute job. On the 77 it takes two people an hour or more.
-Moving around the boat takes longer and is required more often. This could be eliminated on a new build with thoughtful systems design. This 77 has a lot of controls in the engine room.
-Complexity is much higher. Additional heads, helm stations, inverters, etc. don’t individually seem like that big a deal, but cumulatively they add lots of complexity.
-Cost. I’m guessing the 77 costs at least 3x more to run. Fuel is double. Batteries are 4x. Insurance is 6x. Washing and waxing are a lot more on the 77.

Maneuvering the boats isn’t that much different. The 77 has better sightlines and remotes, so it’s easier in lots of ways.

We never have the need to be nimble or quick, and in that regard, the boat's size (inertia) is a benefit. Also, a boat of this size can't be manhandled anyway. It is really just a matter of me getting it along side the dock or into the slip, and holding it there while my wife ties some lines.

I think that's a big factor, particularly for boats that can't be readily man-handled (which is most boats over 35 feet or so once the wind picks up). And for those without really quick access between helm and dock. Getting the boat in place is the easy part, keeping it there long enough is the challenge many times.

What is the biggest boat you would have if you were handling by yourself? Or, for us, handled by 1 1/2 persons. My wife is not adept at things like handling a can opener - much less a boat. Her contributions in life are great, just not mechanical.

Yes, it's plain that some folks have the experience and skills to do amazing things. And this answer will be different for everyone. There won't be an iron-clad rule coming out of this question.

I'm kind of more interested in what size YOU could handle and I'll extrapolate from there.

I have my big boy pants on so let the comments fly.

I'll add my comments to the size doesn't matter crowd. It's much more about how the boat handles and your skills and experience. I confidently single handed an Army T boat, 65 ft, single, no thruster. I won't generally attempt to single hand my twin engine Californian 42 LRC. Some of the important differences are weight, draft and windage. The T boat was predictable and dependable in how it handled. It tended to stay where I put it long enough to get a line on. The Californian by comparison is light, shallow and had a lot of windage. Any wind at all and she doesn't want to stay where I put her.

So far I've been speaking only to docking and getting uderway. But there is so much more to single handing than docking. If your wife is as challenged as you say to call yourselves 1 1/2 then I suggest you take a lot of other things under consideration as well.

Speaking from my point of view, take from it what you will.

Easy access fore and aft. My wife in her younger years was a very accompilshed athlete in many sports. She still is very fit and has great agility for someone in their 70s but has developed weak ankles. Falling is a worry and happens always at the wrong time. One of our very important check boxes when we purchased was the main deck all one level with good side decks. She needs to be able to walk easily from stern to bow when handling lines. That meant no wide body boats giving up considerable interior space. One change I would make to that check box if we were to purchase again is allowing steps down to the cockpit with level step access to the swim step and then to the floating dock. Floating docks are the norm where we cruise. That way she could easily walk out onto the swim step, step onto the dock with stern line in hand while I keep the boat alongside. She could then calmly walk on the dock to the bow, I could then step away from the controls and hand her the bow line.

Easy to understand and use controls and navigation equipment so that it is easy on her. I will need breaks or to check on the engine room. After a long career on the water I take for granted knowledge and skill levels others don't share. I want it be zero stress on her when I ask her to take the conn, especially if I need to be in a hurry to deal with an engine room problem.

Good ground tackle that is easy to use. Unfortnately we missd that one. It's difficult to find good easy to use ground tackle on a modest recreational boat. My recreational boat experience is limited in the number of boats but it always seems to be a bit of a struggle to get the hook down and back up again. We need one, usually me, on the windlass and one at the boat controls.

Easy safe access to the engine room for you. So you're not gone any longer than necessary and not likely to get tangled up in any rotating machinery as you make your underway checks.

Easy safe dingy launch and recovery. If your wife has trouble with a can opener how is she going to assist with the dingy?

Where will you cruise? What do you expect to find for dock space, fuel dock access, black water pump outs etc? The bigger the boat the more challenging those things can be. It doesn't matter how well the boat handles and how good you are. If it won't fit, it won't fit.

Why don't you define the mission before choosing the boat.

Ted

And then I would pick the smallest boat possible. The mentioning of flying a plane is appropriate. How big of a plane can you fly (with a newbie copilot?) Does that matter? The question should be how big of a plane for two people to comfortably perform the mission. If you want to visit remote lakes, the plane's length isn't an important factor.

I feel sorry for the big RVs going down the freeway. At 25 feet, they can only see half of the country. At 35 feet, only 25%. The biggest possible, probably only 10% (that's why they have to tow a smaller vehicle). Is the mission "how big an RV can I manage," or is it seeing the country?

I don't keep up on what is available in new or even newer boats. But a Grand Banks 32 (or equivalent) would be a commonly available boat for 1 1/2 people. A CHB 34 (or equivalent) for 4 people. Both have a head, shower, berths for 1.75 people, galley, etc. All the necessities for most missions.

Some feel twin engines make handling easier such that it makes up for the drawbacks. Bow thrusters and twin engines make smaller boats easy to dock with .75 people. There might be a 60' boat that is as easy to dock. But why?

I am definitely lost on the RV size and seeing "different percentages" of the country????.....extrapolating that would be if you don't have a 4X4, then a dirt bike, then climbing gear till you graduate to a helicopter.

Agree with Ted, without more specifics on use, choosing the best vessel is nearly impossible.

Agree with Ted, without more specifics on use, choosing the best vessel is nearly impossible.

Add to this, what is the definition of single handling? I know a gentleman who single hands his 60’ boat all the time. If you can define single handling as bouncing off the neighbors boat and driving into the dock as single handling.

Does single handling include docking in stiff cross breezes with no thrusters?

36 Feet, no more.

Why would 2 people need more room than 36 feet anyway?

pete

Add to this, what is the definition of single handling? I know a gentleman who single hands his 60’ boat all the time. If you can define single handling as bouncing off the neighbors boat and driving into the dock as single handling.

Does single handling include docking in stiff cross breezes with no thrusters?

Dock crashing is pretty well illustrated by fully crewed boats... so no ...crashing is not desirable in any definition.

I guess the same can be said about docking in any situation...some can still do it alone, some can do it alone with lots of help from systems or people ashore.

If you are good but the conditions are pressing your limits, and the no crashing rule still applies, the waiting or different destinations may be an option.

As in just about every single threat on TF.... the person in charge is the key to success...from docking to soldering to navigating....etc...etc....

My husband and I starting boating this year. I led the charge on figuring out what type of boat to get (Nordic tug 32), doing classes, doing organization, cleaning and understanding of all the systems on the boat. I am not handy or coordinated but I really wanted to boat and so I spend about 4x the time as husband training/learning (he picks up on stuff quickly). Between the two of us , we are probably a 1.5 equivalent. And I pilot the boat in/out of slips, locks, and he is my eyesight/lines/maneuver guide. We have headsets -super helpful.

So even if your wife isn’t handy or coordinated, is she interested? Excited to learn? This may help in terms of if the 1/2 becomes a whole. I’d highly recommend the womens weekend powerboating course by nw expeditions in Bellingham (offered ~2 x year).I think women often learn differently so an all womens group was great. I did this and it went a long in skill development and, perhaps more importantly, confidence.

Oh yeah and thrusters are SO helpful for newbies and the uncoordinated.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom