Bilge Pumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueHeron

Looking to replace 24v Rule 3700 with identical, Johnson 4000, or similar - any comments/thoughts as to quality, reliability, or experience would be appreciated.

thanks

Ron W
M/V Blue Heron

If Johnson provides with the 4000, the washer and little neoprene profile cut washer that they call a check valve, I would leave it out, it will leak anyway.

Be careful to not tighten the hose barb fitting into the pump body too much or you can split the pump body. I did that once although I was using a bronze, not the supplied nylon, hose barb.

Otherwise they seem like good pumps, that should seldom get used..

Looking to replace 24v Rule 3700 with identical, Johnson 4000, or similar - any comments/thoughts as to quality, reliability, or experience would be appreciated.

thanks

Ron W
M/V Blue Heron

Welcome to the forum. No advice on the pumps but happy to see yet another Rhode Islander. I am in Newport tonight.

Welcome aboard. I put Johnson pumps in our last boat and really liked them.

Have a history with Johnson pumps failing due to the drive shaft corroding and breaking.

Be careful to not tighten the hose barb fitting into the pump body too much or you can split the pump body. I did that once although I was using a bronze, not the supplied nylon, hose barb.

Otherwise they seem like good pumps, that should seldom get used..

Don’t know if you did this, but teflon tape isn’t recommended for plastic (female) fittings because it makes it easy to over tighten and break something.

Don’t know if you did this, but teflon tape isn’t recommended for plastic (female) fittings because it makes it easy to over tighten and break something.

I have seen that same warning for steel and bronze fittings on cast iron manifolds. As always, mind the torque.

If the fittings going into the pump drip a bit it won’t hurt since it will just get pumped out the next time the pump runs anyway.

Also recommend the Practical Sailor article on their testing recommended by JoeCanuck. Pay close attention both weight as well as operating temperature. This was recently a topic on Kadey Krogen forum as well. We have five (5) Rule pumps but will be looking to change to Shurfro over time.

Gary Reed
M/V Unwinding
Kadey Krogen 58EB

Installed a 4000 Johnson in my GB 36. Had to increase to a 20a breaker because of the increased current draw from the motor, as well as installing a current compatible float switch. Wiring was plenty robust for the increased draw. Blasts the water out!

Back
Top Bottom