Block Island

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg QS

Vessel Name
Quiet Storm
Vessel Make
Nordlund 61
Hello all
Out doing yearly service. Thinking of the warmer weather.
We are planning to go to block island RI this coming summer. About a 130 mile trip for us. Anyone want to give me some advise on the area. Is it dog friendly? Time to go ? need advanced reservations? Things to do? How long to stay? etc.

A lot of our friends have gone and always here good things. Comments welcome.

Last edited:
Weekends are jammed. Ferries bring loads of tourists. Long lines at restaurants. Marinas full. Mooring field full by noon. But it's great place to visit, well worth the trip during the week.

Like SoWhat said...and if you cannot snag a mooring holding ground stinks at 50' of water.

As said go during the week or in June or September.

Block was one of our go to places every summer for 4 or 5 days at a time. Some years made multiple trips.
Yes dog friendly. You'll need reservations for a marina, but anchoring is fine as long as you set your hook. I've anchored many times (50?) and never had a problem.
We always go to town before noon when it's the least crowded.
Block I is a party Island. Have fun!

I would anchor behind the mooring field to the east at Great Salt Pond in 6-8 ft of water at low tide. Never had a problem with holding.

David

Last edited:
We’ve stopped going. Place is way too crowded. People in anchorage don’t know how to anchor so boats dragging into you is a real possibility. People are disrespectful. Running poorly mufflered gas Honda generators at all hours. Bad loud music as well. No concept of quiet time. Getting in and out is bumper cars. Gotten ridiculously expensive as well with sag harbor prices.
Only time to go is midweek while school is still in session. Even then there’s so many nicer places in Naragansett and Buzzards bay why in the world would you go 130nm to be stressed out by the jerks.

We’ve picked up a town mooring a few times, knocking a few miles off before heading to Cape May. Once we went in August mid-week stopping from Cuttyhunk to Mystic and it was packed to the rafters. We managed to get the last town mooring. Boats will circle though the mooring field nonstop looking for a boat to leave, then snatch up the pennant the second it leaves your hand.

We went ashore, walked around, grabbed a bite to eat but, were content to sit on the boat and watch the antics and wait for the Andiamo boat. The party stuff doesn’t hold any interest for me and would never stay at a marina where you are required to raft six deep having drunk strangers cross over your boat all night long.

We’ve stopped going. Place is way too crowded. People in anchorage don’t know how to anchor so boats dragging into you is a real possibility. People are disrespectful. Running poorly mufflered gas Honda generators at all hours. Bad loud music as well. No concept of quiet time. Getting in and out is bumper cars. Gotten ridiculously expensive as well with sag harbor prices.
Only time to go is midweek while school is still in session. Even then there’s so many nicer places in Naragansett and Buzzards bay why in the world would you go 130nm to be stressed out by the jerks.

I'm of like mind. I go out in my boat to get away from crowds, not to seek them out. I love Block Island (family has had a house there for 40+ years), but for me it's off-season.

I witheld comment because I didn't want to sound like a wet blanket, but I have to agree with Hippo and others. We used to love Block Island, but that was about 30 years ago. We recently returned and doubt we will go back. There are much better choices in the area. If you enjoy the crowded boating party scene (many do) then maybe it's for you. Just not our style. We even paid the premium to stay at Champlin's marina. We didn't have to raft with others but we were tied to a fixed dock that required some gymnastics at low tide.

We are planning a 2 week cruse. Cruse from back Raritan bay up the ocean to block. Thinking of jumping over to Martha's vineyard, and wind up in Newport. I see Narragansett are on the way back. Going to cruse the sound all the way back to the east river, down into Raritan bay to our home port on the cheesequake creek Just starting our research now. Im sure there are plenty of stops along the way. So all let me know your favorites.

We are planning a 2 week cruse. Cruse from back Raritan bay up the ocean to block. Thinking of jumping over to Martha's vineyard, and wind up in Newport. I see Narragansett are on the way back. Going to cruse the sound all the way back to the east river, down into Raritan bay to our home port on the cheesequake creek Just starting our research now. Im sure there are plenty of stops along the way. So all let me know your favorites.

The places you mention so far are all extremely popular so be sure you have reservations in advance and expect crowds and high prices. There are too many great harbors in the area to begin to list. It somewhet depends on what you are looking for because you can stay at 5-star luxury resorts or quiet anchorages. Either way, I hope you have a great trip. You should take in NYC for at least a night. Again very pricey but nice marinas at Liberty Landing and One 15 in Brooklyn.

Agree that summer weekends are out. Midweek and after Labor Day are fine with plenty of moorings available. Pretty dog friendly easy to get around.

I might recommend a night at Watch Hill

I agree with everything above. However you should see it one time. Kids (and some big kids) will love the excitement. Holding ground is excellent. People that have no idea how to anchor is the problem. The island itself is spectacular. Worth getting a scooter or cab to tour the island and see the bluffs. Food is good.
Town moorings are green on the south side of channel. First come first serve. If nothing is open anchor on the north side of channel. Contact the harbor master and tell them you would like a mooring when one becomes available. (If you are not a menace they are your friends I promise you) Monitor VHF 12 and 16. Harbor master will start assigning private moorings for the night at around 2 pm. Give them a call and refresh their memory. Their goal is to put everyone on a mooring that wants one. (From harbor masters mouth to my ears) They also hate the near disasters that happen in the anchorage when a thunder storm rolls through.
If you get up at first light next morning and use your binoculars there is a good chance you will catch a green town mooring opening up as someone gets under way. (Most others are still in their bunks hung over and will miss the opportunity.) If nothing opens up contact the harbor master mid morning. They appreciate the communication and may keep you on the private mooring or possibly switch you to another. If you don't act like many of the clowns in the harbor you will have a great experience. BI is working hard to improve the boaters experience in the harbor.

Last edited:
You're on a two week cruise so just stay at Block Island during the week! It's a beautiful place and very worth a visit. Don't expect it to be a place of solitude but people and boat watching are fun. I always grab a town mooring or the harbormaster will place you on a private mooring. I have anchored at times with no problem. There's a pump-out boat that will visit on-call.

Visit Narragansett Bay on your trip, Wickford, Jamestown, etc. You could spend a night in Point Judith Salt Pond. Fuel up at PJ Marina.

going to Block Island

It is a dog friendly island, as long as you clean up after them.
There are 3 marina's in Great Salt Pond, and 1 in Old Harbor.
Would suggest using Great Salt Pond. Moorings are available.
Best to contact the Harbor Master on the Town of New Shoreham's website.
After Labor the place closes down and all the docks are removed for the winter. Also fuel, etc is available at 2 marinas. If you want a slip RESERVE NOW!

Hello all
Out doing yearly service. Thinking of the warmer weather.
We are planning to go to block island RI this coming summer. About a 130 mile trip for us. Anyone want to give me some advise on the area. Is it dog friendly? Time to go ? need advanced reservations? Things to do? How long to stay? etc.

A lot of our friends have gone and always here good things. Comments welcome.

Block Island can be fun although it's not for everyone. We have spent weeks anchored and/or moored in Great Salt Pond over the last several years. If you draw less than 5 1/2 ft, definitely anchor to the east of the mooring field in about 6 ft of water. It's very flat and good holding. Get there mid week and you won't have any problem with anchoring or finding a mooring. Although it can get busy on weekends and holiday periods, the island has a lot to offer. There is a launch service, ice boat, water boat, raw bar boat and a morning coffee and pastry boat. There are groceries and plenty of restaurants and bars within walking distance as well as shopping in Old Harbor about a 20 minute walk. You can also get a shellfish license and dig fresh clams only a dingy ride away. You can take the dingy to shore and walk across the road to one of the nicest beaches in RI. All in all, it can be a fun place to visit.

Late 50's thru 60's we did the Block nearly every year... a couple seasons twice.

As a family of 5 [3-boys!] we rode rental bikes over every inch possible. Left a snagged Danforth anchor in the big bay. After hours of effort we cut her loose!

Back then, Block Island was pretty nice!!

I helped a friend bring his boat out last year the weekend before July 4 and it was madness both on the water and on land. This was a week BEFORE July 4. I am told July 4 is worse. Good luck.

Anchoring

I visit Block for about 4 weeks every summer on a loop around New England . 34 Tollycraft aft cabin so fairly heavy . I have been anchoring in the Great Salt Pond for the last 30 years never had a problem holding . I use a Rocna 2 sizes larger than recommended on all chain with a snubber and don’t worry about leaving the boat all day every day to go ashore . Payne’s Marina doesn’t take reservations and will always make space for you if you don’t want to anchor . Downtown is busy in the summer the businesses and local people are very accommodating. The beaches are beautiful and the whole perimeter of the island is beach so you can go to a crowded beach to people watch or very secluded beaches with very few people . I have weathered many storms in this anchorage and only once took a mooring as a tropical storm was moving in . Do not try to anchor at the downtown harbor as the holding is poor and it can be noisy until after 1am. Don’t let the naysayers scare you thousands of boaters visit all summer .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom