Boat innovations you would implement today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garpow2026

There are so many great discussions on TF and many go deep into very specific items/equipment this invaluable for understanding your experiences if you know what to look for. It is exciting to learn about the many retrofit projects, updates and a number of new builds that happen. I would love to hear from this group what you feel are the top 5 new innovations in the marine industry that you would consider and/or install (or wish you included) if you were currently doing a refresh on your boat or you were embarking on a new build. There has been tremendous innovation in all areas of boating from safety, ease of use, security at sea and on the dock, convenience and maintenance. Really too many to keep up with up and thus my request for your thoughts and inputs. I understand and appreciate some will feel simpler is better and am not looking for tech to replace solid seamanship and skills but am interested in what some of you have done or would do on your boats given the significant innovations over the last decade. I look forward to hearing your thoughts. I am nearing a 'build' decision and this information will help me think through some of the options that may not be a standard part of the builder an option from the builder.

Long list

- Smaller, more mobile Starlink antenna with multi-country availability

- Smaller, marine-appropriate mini-split AC

- larger single LiFePO4 battery vs multi-smaller ones.

- improved solar production and panel efficiency

- improved flow through ventilation for at-anchor comfort

- a standalone propane oven so I can go induction cook top

I'm sure there are others, but you get the idea. Most of my improvements move energy use and production from early-adopter to mainstream.

Peter

I can only think of two things that have evolved/emerged in the past 10 years.

- LFP batteries. If you are going to be anchoring out, I wouldn't build a boat with anything else. These have evolved from science experiment to well engineered systems over the past 10 years.

- Internet communications. There are better cellular systems that bring reception further than ever before, and there are data packages that won't break the bank. It works better than most marina wifi, and reaches most coastal cruising locations. Then there is Starlink that expands access to everywhere except the high seas and high latitudes (for now), and does it at much higher speed.

I think those are the big 10 year things. Most other improvements like AIS have been around a lot longer than that, though they have become more popular so that's kind of on the edge of 10 years.

an great electric oven to fill the 'cave' so I could go induction stove top. Good temp control.

Finish keypower fins, then proportional bow/stern thruster kit.

I would second the basic ideas Twistedtree stated. But I would expand on them just a bit.

For the LFP batteries it would include a comprehensive system to include alternators and solar and management. I am sure that was implied but I just wanted to state it.

For the internet communications I would add a type of boat monitoring system that you can monitor from a distance. Things like cameras, bilge monitor, electrical monitoring, smoke & Fire monitoring, remote GPS tracking etc.

I don't live on the boat. It would be nice to open an app and check the entire boat out remotely.

This is neither new technology nor novel but adequate and well considered chases for electronics cabling and good access to electrical circuitry and mechanical systems.

Lithium is interesting to watch as it evolves. It will be interesting to see what changes going forward or if there's something better in the next 4 or 5 years. My battery system works great now and see nothing currently that would make me give up what I have to go the Lithium route. If I have the boat 4 or 5 years from now, it will probably be time to consider at least replacing the batteries and maybe new technology.

Starlink is on the radar for a possible install this winter. I see that as a game changer for my type of cruising.

I have a list of upgrades for this winter before heading out next April, but nothing else falls into the new innovations category. Generally I'm replacing stuff thats getting tired with the newer improved model.

Ted

an great electric oven to fill the 'cave' so I could go induction stove top. Good temp control.

There are some really great countertop electric ovens like the Cuisinart Air Fryer that may be able to be installed in the void with proper space and ventilation.

toa65_ff_pizza.jpg

I get by great with an electric skillet, microwave, coffee pot, Instant Pot, Magma propane grill and air fryer. I disconnected my propane oven years ago and just use it for storage.

IMO, the good air fryer ovens are just about perfect for feeding 2-6.

I had a great, cheap, 2 level countertop toaster oven that I stuck in the hole where the old electric oven/stove top that had failed was removed.

I put a 3 burner Eno stove top propane with the electric toaster oven below that worked out great for cruising.

Garpow:

I think you nailed it in saying there have been many advances and innovations over the years. I spent decades on the water, then decades off the water, and am now returning with a new build. Seeing the changes, point to point rather than in the small incremental steps along the path is a different view than many have seen.

The advances are sometimes mundane but often not so much. Anchors today are so much better. Mechanical systems seem better. Batteries. Solar.

The issue most on my mind is the electronics. Back in the day there were no chart plotters. It was paper charts, compass, maybe a depth gauge, and reliance on markers and landmarks. Now one absolutely will have a chart plotter, an advanced transducer, good radar, AIS, auto-pilot, thrusters with remotes, cameras and night vision, and remote alarm systems to provide alerts when off the boat. TV and wall to wall sound if you like.

Having said that, electronics reliability remains an issue. I'm sensitive to that since I'm nailing that down now. Name a brand and you will find people who had nothing but trouble, and others who only have good things to say. Every brand. And reliability comes into play in a secondary way, when many experience models being phased out, and updates cause certain components to no longer work. The package is one of the most expensive batch of gear decisions to be made, and they don't make it easy.

The charts themselves run in the plotters remain in a state of flux. Its not the best sign of things when many run multiple apps in addition to the plotter.

So I'd say take the time in a new build to get this part right, if that's possible.

All of the additional systems "stuff" brings new complexity too. Good luck trying to tame it.

You mention either a refresh or new build, and that can call for different answers. If new build, the basic value of a model that's reasonably easy to maintain has grown and it seems easier to find that today. Less teak above. No more teak decks. Decent engine room spaces.

The other folks can speak to upgrade projects that I can't address. I'm sure you will listen, and there's a wealth of knowledge to tap.

A complete adoption of OneNet, unleashing the capability to have a much more robust interaction between devices, with a much greater data flow.

Interchangeability between PC’s and chart plotters. That would mean software is the driving force behind innovation, not hardwire bells and whistles..

Part of that process would be a complete on boat-off boat interaction capability. Another part would be what Garmin is attempting with the use of cameras and GPS for automatic docking.

Last edited:
The more I think of this question, more I land on Solar/LiFePO4 and a system to support. If you're spending more than a couple nights aboard at anchor, it really is a game changer. Even for a dock-queen, allows rhe boat to be unplugged. Nothing in technology compares. But really needs the entire system thought-out, including solar, battery capacity, and DC alternators. Would make a huge difference for independence. I've been using a Westfalia style camper van on/off for 30 years. Solar and LiFePO4 in recent incarnation is am absolute change. Really opens possibilities.

Peter

It all depends on what you plan to use your boat for, what the budget is, etc. For me personally my 2 1/2 month trip to Alaska has got me thinking in slightly different directions than I had in the past when contemplating a clean sheet, dream boat. I have come to grips with the fact that I really don't have that much desire, and certainly no near term plans to cross oceans. Having a boat that is capable of it appeals to my sense of romance and fantasy, (My current boat can and has crossed oceans) but the weight and slowness of it is starting to outweigh the romance. My dream boat has taken a decided shift to the lighter, faster end of the spectrum. I would like something that can cruise relatively economically at 10kn. I also think my current boat at 56' is really bigger than I need and I am thinking 40-50' would be better for me. As far as tech, I am coming around to the idea of gyro stabilization. The reasons being that much of the time we don't need stabilization at all in the PNW, and it would be zero drag or appendages to worry about breaking in those situations. It would also work really well while fishing, which neither the. paravanes, or active fins on my last two boats worked well for. It would also be good for the very rare case around here where the anchorage is rough.
I am definitely on board with lithium batteries and solar. I don't know if the tech is solid yet, but I would definitely do a bunch of research on fixed magnet DC generators, such as Polar Power makes. The amount of heat coming out of my alternators and generator makes me think there has to be a better way with modern technology.

The more I think of this question, more I land on Solar/LiFePO4 and a system to support. If you're spending more than a couple nights aboard at anchor, it really is a game changer. Even for a dock-queen, allows rhe boat to be unplugged. Nothing in technology compares. But really needs the entire system thought-out, including solar, battery capacity, and DC alternators.

Agreed. I did DC system refit and it's been very rewarding.

If I were starting again with a blank slate I think I'd be going with a 48v generation and storage system. On demand Ac and 12v from from the big bank.

An elevator

An elevator

LOL, but seriously. There are boats with elevators. But the question is too broad. Like asking "How long is a piece of string". What you're asking is "Tell me all the things that COULD be installed in a boat".

Honestly, your best bet is to go to a boat show. You will see ALL of the gadgets there.

Agreed. I did DC system refit and it's been very rewarding.

If I were starting again with a blank slate I think I'd be going with a 48v generation and storage system. On demand Ac and 12v from from the big bank.

Just add 48V LFP and solar, then connect it to your existing 12V bank with >48Vin-12Vout MPPT controller(s) (which you my already have if you have solar charging your 12V bank now...) In this manner you get to keep all the capacity of your 12V bank and enjoy the added capacity of the 48V bank too. If you add a 120VAC powered 48V charger, you can charge the 48V bank with shore power, genset power, or with alternators via a 12V powered inverter if you need to top up the 48V bank beyond what solar gives you.

The more I think of this question, more I land on Solar/LiFePO4 and a system to support. If you're spending more than a couple nights aboard at anchor, it really is a game changer. Even for a dock-queen, allows rhe boat to be unplugged.

Peter

Good point, and one I didn't really anticipate when switching to LFP, but have found to be very useful. I would say about half of the dock days in our 5 month trip this year were unplugged and not using dock power. In Seward where we stayed for about a week, there is no dock power on the main transient dock. And at a bunch of other stops we just didn't bother to plug it since we were only there for a day or two. This can be very helpful in many Alaska locations where power costs are a significant fraction of the moorage bill. I remember staying in Ketchikan for a month several years ago, and the power bill was the same as the monthly moorage bill.

Just add 48V LFP and solar, then connect it to your existing 12V bank with >48Vin-12Vout MPPT controller(s) (which you my already have if you have solar charging your 12V bank now...) In this manner you get to keep all the capacity of your 12V bank and enjoy the added capacity of the 48V bank too. If you add a 120VAC powered 48V charger, you can charge the 48V bank with shore power, genset power, or with alternators via a 12V powered inverter if you need to top up the 48V bank beyond what solar gives you.

I would have loved to do 48V, but there were no alternators from name brand companies. That was the hang up. There are always a few boutique shops that rewind alternators to 48V, but I'm not interested in relegating such an important device to a one-off, boutique supplier.

As we speak I am replacing all my inverters, and this presented another opportunity to switch to 48V. But the same problem still exists.

If anyone comes across a main-stream 48V alternator, please let me know, even though I don't relish another DC power refit.

As we speak I am replacing all my inverters, and this presented another opportunity to switch to 48V. But the same problem still exists.

refit.

Could you elaborate on this. Most curious about the what and why. Might be best to make this a new thread.

Garpow:

I think you nailed it in saying there have been many advances and innovations over the years. I spent decades on the water, then decades off the water, and am now returning with a new build. Seeing the changes, point to point rather than in the small incremental steps along the path is a different view than many have seen.

The advances are sometimes mundane but often not so much. Anchors today are so much better. Mechanical systems seem better. Batteries. Solar.

The issue most on my mind is the electronics. Back in the day there were no chart plotters. It was paper charts, compass, maybe a depth gauge, and reliance on markers and landmarks. Now one absolutely will have a chart plotter, an advanced transducer, good radar, AIS, auto-pilot, thrusters with remotes, cameras and night vision, and remote alarm systems to provide alerts when off the boat. TV and wall to wall sound if you like.

Having said that, electronics reliability remains an issue. I'm sensitive to that since I'm nailing that down now. Name a brand and you will find people who had nothing but trouble, and others who only have good things to say. Every brand. And reliability comes into play in a secondary way, when many experience models being phased out, and updates cause certain components to no longer work. The package is one of the most expensive batch of gear decisions to be made, and they don't make it easy.

The charts themselves run in the plotters remain in a state of flux. Its not the best sign of things when many run multiple apps in addition to the plotter.

So I'd say take the time in a new build to get this part right, if that's possible.

All of the additional systems "stuff" brings new complexity too. Good luck trying to tame it.

You mention either a refresh or new build, and that can call for different answers. If new build, the basic value of a model that's reasonably easy to maintain has grown and it seems easier to find that today. Less teak above. No more teak decks. Decent engine room spaces.

The other folks can speak to upgrade projects that I can't address. I'm sure you will listen, and there's a wealth of knowledge to tap.

FWT...well said. It is interesting to see the responses and opportunities. Marine tech is overwhelming and trusting a builder that they know the 'right solar array with Lithium battery banks" is trusting them a lot. Not to mention with technology comes complexity and on the ocean that means added risk. It is such a balancing act. I do agree that getting the basics right and maintaining them will help more maintian value than the technology will. Thanks for your thoughts.

LOL, but seriously. There are boats with elevators. But the question is too broad. Like asking "How long is a piece of string". What you're asking is "Tell me all the things that COULD be installed in a boat".

Honestly, your best bet is to go to a boat show. You will see ALL of the gadgets there.

Agreed and will be heading to FLIBS in October and get all the sales pitches. That said, my question, while broad is to a group of folks that I imagine are evaluating new options all the time and may have insight into what actually works well and as advertised vs tech or innovation for tech sake. I definitely know one can get carried away. Thanks!

A complete adoption of OneNet, unleashing the capability to have a much more robust interaction between devices, with a much greater data flow.

Interchangeability between PC’s and chart plotters. That would mean software is the driving force behind innovation, not hardwire bells and whistles..

Part of that process would be a complete on boat-off boat interaction capability. Another part would be what Garmin is attempting with the use of cameras and GPS for automatic docking.

Thanks for this I will look deeper into the Garmin capabilities. This sounds interesting. I like Garmin but they too are overwhelming and finding with right balance of their tech a challenge. I love my Garmin watch though!

Last edited:
I would have loved to do 48V, but there were no alternators from name brand companies. That was the hang up. There are always a few boutique shops that rewind alternators to 48V, but I'm not interested in relegating such an important device to a one-off, boutique supplier.

If anyone comes across a main-stream 48V alternator, please let me know, even though I don't relish another DC power refit.

Looks like Balmar makes 60 and 100A 48V alternators (that's 2.9 and 4.8kW!)

https://balmar.net/96-series-48v-alternators/

Do 48V windlasses and thrusters exist? Alternatively I suppose they could use 120VAC?

I love the idea of a large 48VDC LFP house bank.

Thanks for this I will look deeper into the Garmin capabilities. This sounds interesting. I like Garmin but they too are overwhelming and finding with right balance of their tech a challenge. I love my Garmin watch though!

The gotcha with Garmin is that they sunset equipment quickly, and I think work to make their equipment so that it is much more difficult to work with others. While many like Garmin, I don’t care for that approach, having been burned by Raymarine when they obsoleted the software on a year old chart plotter. Furuno, on the other hand, continues their support for years.

For us it's been
Big solar
Big inverter charger
Lifepo4
Providing ability to use cheaper, more reliable and easily sourced 240v appliances without using Genset.

And OpenCPN with sat2chart
The ability to easily do georeferenced satellite, navionics and C-Map overlays and do mouse driven nav on huge screens is brilliant.

I am not an engineer, of any kind, and not necessarily pro electric engine, but if an electric engine that was designed to have low power consumption and produce 100 plus horsepower. Where you could be self sufficient on as few solar panels as possible.

I am not an engineer, of any kind, and not necessarily pro electric engine, but if an electric engine that was designed to have low power consumption and produce 100 plus horsepower. Where you could be self sufficient on as few solar panels as possible.

Not wanting to derail this thread, but for the record electric motors (which I'm 100% "pro") are already extremely efficient, as are power electronics. Unfortunately the laws of physics are such that it takes a *lot* of energy (electric or diesel or wind) to push a big boat through the water, particularly at double digit speeds. The boat innovations that would enable a solar/electric yacht to be practical are really around the weight and energy density of batteries, and the efficiency of solar panels. Both are improving.

Having done the calculations lots of times though, we're just not quite there yet. If you squint you could see a path for a hull speed power catamaran in a sunny climate to be able to go, say, 80-100nm in a day, hang out on the hook for a day or two, then repeat. For now, if you want a zero emissions cruiser, buy a sailboat and wait for it to get windy :)

Back
Top Bottom