Bridge Clearance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roger L

Veteran Member
I plan on going up the Hudson to Lake Champlain in My Mainship 200634T fly bridge. Has anyone done this? I do not have a hard top and the mast can be lowered. Boat is on the hard and covered so I can’t get an accurate height right now. I see many clearances listed at 15’ 6”

When you're running from your fly bridge look at the bridge structure. If you can see the underside of the far side of the bridge, you should be good-to-go. At least that's how we did it after we put on the flybridge. Of course remember that a wake or wave while you're under the bridge can be real detrimental to a safe passage.

This is just an old mariner trick for when the bridge numbers are missing or suspect.

I plan on going up the Hudson to Lake Champlain in My Mainship 200634T fly bridge. Has anyone done this? I do not have a hard top and the mast can be lowered. Boat is on the hard and covered so I can’t get an accurate height right now. I see many clearances listed at 15’ 6”

I did the trip last summer. There are a number of 17' listed bridges based on Waterway Guide or Active Captain on Aquamaps. It will take you 2 or 3 days from Waterford to Whitehall. The canal water levels are maintained through the use of spillways. So with the exception of heavy rain storms, the levels are pretty consistent. If you're close and may need to lower your mast, do it at Waterford. While currents aren't bad you won't want to try to do it on the river / canal.

Ted

My 2005 34T: Mast down with canvas up = 15'8"

There was an interesting video on YouTube a while back. 70 for boat was scraping the bottom of a railroad bridge in Chicago. There was a train on the bridge at the time. They backed off and waited for the train to pass and gained a couple inches, enough to get under. Just to keep in mind, if it looks real close, wait till the trains gone.

Back
Top Bottom