Buff and Wax

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magna 6882

Guru
Vessel Name
Intrepid
Vessel Make
North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
Hi All
I have the boat buffed and waxed last week and she charged $4900. Last December it was $3800. Price included polishing all the stainless.
Got me curios what others are paying across the country.

Slow Hand (45' Cherubini) was in the yard in October. After subtracting the electronic control module ($2,250), the bill was $4,000 +/-. That included haulout, month on the hard, wax and buff topsides, bottom paint with 2+ gallons of Petit Trinidad SR ($450 per gallon), bottom paint the running gear and strainer, prep the hull before painting, and some other odds and ends I bought at the store.

I've had a great relationship with this boatyard for 25 years. My recommendation is to spend some time and seek out the traditional waterman boatyards that are out in the middle of nowhere. There are just as many that don't do good work, so it's not always easy to find the good one. I usually give the employees that work on the boat about $600 in tips. Tip the 2 owners with enough to "take the wife to dinner". Everyone working in the boatyard loves to see Slow Hand arriving in the yard.

20231106_131647.jpg

20231107_114045.jpg

Ted

There are just as many that don't do good work, so it's not always easy to find the good one. I usually give the employees that work on the boat about $600 in tips. Tip the 2 owners with enough to "take the wife to dinner". Everyone working in the boatyard loves to see Slow Hand arriving in the yard.

Ted

Maybe the best tip would be to tell us where this great boatyard is so they can get more business. All I could read on the travel lift is "otts Cove Marina".

Maybe the best tip would be to tell us where this great boatyard is so they can get more business. All I could read on the travel lift is "otts Cove Marina".

The one I use (Scott's Cove Marina) is in Chance, Maryland on the Chesapeake. Equally important is to know what they do well and what they don't do as well. The guys are great on outside work. I do my own inside work including plumbing, wiring, and electronics. They're not likely to paint any boats on this forum (other than mine ;) ). Sean will do engine swaps (Cummins, Cat, and John Deere [dealer for John Deere]), but that's more a courtesy to regular customers.

They're almost always busy, so contacting them in advance and not expecting them to drop what they're doing to work on you, is important. As with any local boatyard, stopping by instead of calling is important to developing a relationship.

BTW, Slow Hand is about as big as they haulout.

edit: They are a "do it yourself " boatyard, as they're customers are primarily Chesapeake Bay watermen.

Ted

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom