Cabin door handle/lockset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNWPederson

Vessel Make
1970 Grand Banks 32
I just purchased a 1970 GB 32. The door to the cabin is a sliding door, but it doesn't have a handle on it. I have to put my finger in the opening for the handle to lift the latch to open the door. I know that this isn't how it was designed originally. The lock for the door isn't on the door either, it's on the door frame. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement handle or lockset for this door? I forgot to take a picture of the door and get that in a day or so.

That is indeed how it was designed originally, same on my boat and two other late 60s-early 70s GBs I regularly visit. Some previous owner of a friend's boat even made a nice custom teak plug that fits in that hole when you want to keep the breeze out!

I'm sure someone has, and I'm not at the boat now to check. But I think there is very little clearance between the edge of that hole and the door frame when the door is slid fully open. If you replace it with anything else, it would need to be very small form factor. Plus, at least for me, a big part of the charm of owning these boats is the original hardware. If your lockset is like mine, it is super cool in that when you extend the bolt, it also splays out to the sides so it can grab the inside of the strike to prevent the door sliding open, I've never seen any other lock do that.

IMG_3084.jpg

Back
Top Bottom