Californian 42 lrc mast/boom capacity.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boomsurf

Vessel Name
Novela
Vessel Make
Californian 42 LRC
Does anyone have the capacity of the mast/boom on 42 lrc? Wondering how heavy a dinghy I can hoist onto rear deck. Mostly concerned w standing rigging.

Without pictures there is no way to guess. We need to see the layout, the materials and the dimensions.
Also the location you are planning to use to store the dinghy, as its weight capacity is important too.
If you can look at other similar boats and their setups, talk to those owners, you might get a good idea of what works in actual practice.

Assuming the rig is aluminum and standing and running rigging are in decent shape, it can handle quite a bit of weight. The limiting factor is not load carrying of the rig, but awkwardness of the geometry (though where the boom connects to mast will be a hi-stress point).

I used to hoist with a wood mast and boom off my Willard 36. In my opinion, hoisting a dinghy more than a couple hundred pounds with a long boom can be a handful in anything but flat conditions. I'd say the practical limits are in the range of 11-foot RIB with 15-20 hp outboard, or around 250 lbs total. But common sense prevails - as Koliver states, tough to tell. These are just guesses even with pictures.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom