Californian 42 lrc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cwdudley

I know this has been discussed many times but I’m looking for problem areas on the Californian 42s for instance stringers rot/spongy decks cabin and flybridge. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

It may well depend upon year built. Marshall, Carver, Navigator. I'm not really up on who built when. I had one of the later Marshall builds of the 42 LRC. A great boat IMO. It was an 83. So all of the 40+ yr old boats issues. PO maintenance, upgrades etc. That said a helluva well built boat. The only specific Californian 42 LRC specific issue I'm aware of is sagging decks in the saloon and on the fly brigde.

It may well depend upon year built. Marshall, Carver, Navigator. I'm not really up on who built when. I had one of the later Marshall builds of the 42 LRC. A great boat IMO. It was an 83. So all of the 40+ yr old boats issues. PO maintenance, upgrades etc. That said a helluva well built boat. The only specific Californian 42 LRC specific issue I'm aware of is sagging decks in the saloon and on the fly brigde.
Thank you for your reply. 77 to 81 vintage. Mostly worried the plywood core for the decks and house for that matter. I’ve always liked the Californian I know the hulls are solid just worried about rot in the stringers house etc

I always take a small phoenolic hammer with me when I look at a boat. You can tap out the decks. Good core should have a sharp sound when tapped, not real hard of a tap so as not to damage the finish. Bad core will give more of a dull thud sound. You can quickly learn what bad core sounds like. The photo shows what my hammer looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_1437.jpeg
    IMG_1437.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 26
Thank you for your reply. 77 to 81 vintage. Mostly worried the plywood core for the decks and house for that matter. I’ve always liked the Californian I know the hulls are solid just worried about rot in the stringers house etc
So much with an older boat depends on how it was cared for. I'd be more concerned about rot around the windows than the decks. A boat of that vintage is going to have some soft spots. The question will be how much.

I always take a small phoenolic hammer with me when I look at a boat. You can tap out the decks. Good core should have a sharp sound when tapped, not real hard of a tap so as not to damage the finish. Bad core will give more of a dull thud sound. You can quickly learn what bad core sounds like. The photo shows what my hammer looks like.
Thank you
So much with an older boat depends on how it was cared for. I'd be more concerned about rot around the windows than the decks. A boat of that vintage is going to have some soft spots. The question will be how much.
Thank you Portage Bay

Back
Top Bottom