Camano Owners: Access to Fuel Senders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sleepy

Veteran Member
My fuel gages read empty all the time. Watched a few UTube videos on the repair and headed to the boat for a reasonably quick fix. Well, boat-reality hit me pretty quick when I went below to catch a glimpse of where the senders are located. Both are in the far aft corners of the cabin. The port side is covered by the built-in seating, the A/C unit, carpeting and the deck floor- in that order. The starboard side is only covered by carpet and the floor. No access holes in sight. I really do not want to take half the boat apart to get access to the senders (which is exactly why i figure the PO never did the fix). One thought is to only repair the stbd side and count on the tanks being always equally filled. And I don't want to leave an unsightly mess after the fix is done.

So, here I am. Anyone have any great advice?

Unfortunately boat manufacturers don’t take maintenance into account when they build a boat. I would maybe put in an access hatch over the sender. There are some that look pretty nice and then you will always have good access from then on. The bad news is where everything is over the sender on the other side. It will be a PITA to get access there. No easy solution. Good luck.

It’s been a few years but I seem to recall that the senders on Otter (hull #2) were accessible from the engine bay in the space provided by the floor beams, between the tank and floor. You can see the wires there and check with an ohm meter to see if it is the sender. If it’s the sender, I’m pretty sure there was room to fit a stubby screwdriver to undo the fasteners.
That said, it wasn’t something I had to do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom