Cape Dory repower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DZ1

I’m looking to repower my recently purchased 1988 Cape Dory 28’ cruiser (hull #149). It’s a sweet little boat. The Chrysler 360 is dead. I’m wondering if a GM or Mercruiser 5.7 will fit. Or do I get the Chrysler rebuilt long block and add new parts? I checked with Michigan Motors on a drop-in ready fuel injected 5.7 that will bolt up to the Velvet Drive. The measurement from the center of the crank to the high point on that engine is 20.5 inches. The Chrysler in the boat now measures 19 inches from crank to top, and it barely fits. Any advice?
Thanks

I think it would depend on where the high point is on the Chrysler in its present configuration.
Closed cooling, manifold riser/style/ht, etc.
If its something more or less benign like flame arrestor height, that can be easily modified.

But you're pretty close now.......check out the below link to see various Merc configs

In addition to the factory offerings, Chrysler gasser, 100 hp Westerbeke and 200 hp Volvo diesel, the CD has been successfully repowered with the Yanmar 4LH 220 diesel. That has proved to be the best diesel engine for that boat. Unfortunately it has been discontinued.

If you can find a running take out, or rebuilt Yanmar it would easily be worth another $20,000 over the cost of a new Mercruiser.

The Chrysler has also been a good engine for that boat (I had one), so rebuilding or replacing your Chrysler with a new long block or crate engine would probably be the best and cheapest option. It would require no installation mods that the other options require. Those can easily add $5,000 to the cost.

David

How easy is it to get parts for the Chrysler? We had Chryslers in a previous boat about 12 years ago and it was becoming an issue. Don’t know if it is worse now or not.

Did you check the dimensions of a carb 5.7 small block Chevy? I remember the fuel injection engines were taller due to the fuel injection stuff.

How easy is it to get parts for the Chrysler? We had Chryslers in a previous boat about 12 years ago and it was becoming an issue. Don’t know if it is worse now or not.
I’m still looking into the parts availability.
Thanks

In addition to the factory offerings, Chrysler gasser, 100 hp Westerbeke and 200 hp Volvo diesel, the CD has been successfully repowered with the Yanmar 4LH 220 diesel. That has proved to be the best diesel engine for that boat. Unfortunately it has been discontinued.

If you can find a running take out, or rebuilt Yanmar it would easily be worth another $20,000 over the cost of a new Mercruiser.

The Chrysler has also been a good engine for that boat (I had one), so rebuilding or replacing your Chrysler with a new long block or crate engine would probably be the best and cheapest option. It would require no installation mods that the other options require. Those can easily add $5,000 to the cost.

David
Seems that a rebuilt 360 may be the ticket. What cruising speed did yours produce? Thanks

It would cruise in the mid teens, top out at 20 mph.

David

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom