Charts suggestion& pertinent miscellaneous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Rodbone

Vessel Name
SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Make
1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
If all goes well with the survey next week my wife and I are about to experience another”one of the best days in your life moments” and become proud owners of a Grand Banks 42. The boat is in Nashville TN and we will be bringing it down (as it appears to me looking at Google earth) the Cumberland River to Tennessee River, to Tennessee Tombigbee Waterway, to Mobile River, to The bay then down the bay to ICW east over to our home port of Josephine. I have a Cpt going with me at a minimum of from Nashville to Pickwick. I have my USCG 50 Ton Masters License with Sail Endorsement but have zero experience with twin screw navigation. Any guidance/advice on the below will be very much appreciated!
1. Charts as far as to Mobile. I’m sure Government charts are available but they have gotten so expensive. Would one of the spiral chart books suffice and if so what is the recommended one?
2. Any ideas on estimated times given running daylight hours sharing mid October to these spots along the way?
Days Nashville to Pickwick
Days Pickwick to Demopolis AL
Days Demopolis to Dog River off Mobile Bay.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

I'd expect several of the phone/tablet apps will have useful charts... and usually neither the app nor the charts are very expensive.

FWIW, we've used AquaMap Marine a lot, most recently in our neck of the woods, because they offer an option to in-app purchase the USACE surveys... very relevant along the AICW. Perhaps AquaMap is useful for your route, too.

And then there are a bazillion other nav apps to chose from.

Twin screw navigation isn't much different from any other: don't hit dirt or other boats. :)

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom