CHB owner in Socal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Socal_Cecil

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
No Hurries
Vessel Make
78 CHB 33.5'
Hi,

I'm new and wanted to say hi. I'm located out of Marina Del Rey in Los Angeles and have recently( within a year) acquired a 1978 CHB 34. I'm still at the minor repair/ tracing systems stage but have the regular big projects after that.

My history, I started boating at 14 when I got an old 16ft run a bout with a 25HP motor on the back. It wasn't pretty but it would pull a hydroslide( not a skier though) and I ran all over the chesapeake bay in it. My next step in the nautical world was in the US Navy where I was an electrician/ nuclear operator on a submarine. Beyond running the propulsion plant we also had all the electrical and the main battery along with the AC to DC gensets under our purview. From there I took some time away from boats( but not the ocean) until acquiring my current CHB.

This is likely my practice trawler until I'm ready to retire in a decade or so and go full time on something a little bigger. I have plenty of practice projects planned.

I have one of the black steel tanks pulled and need to install my 2 50Gal poly replacements still. This will likely require pulling off at least some of the fuel system from my single lehman.

I picked up a cheap NMEA 2000 data converter from aliexpress that I want to hook up to tank level indicators everywhere along with the engine indicators eventually.

I need to install a refrigeration plant and pull the dorm room refrigerator and build a cold box. I'd love if I could get it to run an HVAC cooling system too.

I have a diesel water heater I want to hook into the freshwater cooling on the engine to act as a engine preheater/ hot water heater alternative heater/ water supplied cabin heat supply. Wondering if I could also use it as cooling with either seawater exchange( rarely goes over 70deg) or chilled water supplied.

And of course there is the normal teak decking for the aft cabin roof and touch ups on the gunwales. The main decks have the teak removed but some soft spots. The flybridge decks and indoor decks are recently refinished and look so good it's hard to commit to removing any anymore teak instead of trying to refinish it.

I'm an engineer by trade in the pharma industry so enjoy the projects. When I'm not projecting I'm hoping to use the boat for Scuba, fishing, and general exploring.

Looking forward to exploring old and new threads to figure out what the best way to accomplish things are and meet the forum members.

Congrats on your new boat. Have a lot of fun!

Back
Top Bottom