Colorful Tapes for 1" to 3" wide Decorative Stripes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Art

Guru
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Hi Tolly Folks!!

Looking to purchase colored, decorative [1" to 3" wide] restoration tapes for our Tolly's bridge and other locations' stripes.

We've owned [and well used, much enjoyed] our 1977, 34' tri cabin Tolly for 14 years.

Now - We are giving her an outside and inside face lift!

Any suggestions where I could locate the correct "Tollycraft Color" tapes to rejuvenate her original stripes?

Appreciation for any who might know where Tolly colors in tape could be found. :thumb:

Thanks!!

Art and Linda :speed boat:

I don’t know about tape but the Tolly Classified site has the paint color codes for Tolly colors (including the lovely 70’s turquoise). Tolly Classified - Name Plates, Gel Coat, & Pennants

The paint is from Cloverdale Rodda paint company, you might call them and see if they’re aware of any tape suppliers.

I don’t know about tape but the Tolly Classified site has the paint color codes for Tolly colors (including the lovely 70’s turquoise). Tolly Classified - Name Plates, Gel Coat, & Pennants

The paint is from Cloverdale Rodda paint company, you might call them and see if they’re aware of any tape suppliers.

Thanks SeaDog! - I thought Tolly Classified was closed down... will proceed!!

Paint - Tollycraft Colors
We do not supply the Tollycraft paint. The paint codes are from Cloverdale/Rodda Paint Company. For UPS shipments call Rodda Paint Company at 503-737-6000.

Paint Color Product Code Color Code
Turquoise 1110114 LV 07L875
Dark Blue 1110414 LV 07L876
Off White 1110314 LV 07L877

Off-White Gel Coat (up to 1989)
$124.25 per quart
$237.30 per gallon
Now Available.....

Off-White Patch Paste Kits
$24.65

Thanks SeaDog! - I thought Tolly Classified was closed down... will proceed!!

Paint - Tollycraft Colors
We do not supply the Tollycraft paint. The paint codes are from Cloverdale/Rodda Paint Company. For UPS shipments call Rodda Paint Company at 503-737-6000.

Paint Color Product Code Color Code
Turquoise 1110114 LV 07L875
Dark Blue 1110414 LV 07L876
Off White 1110314 LV 07L877

Off-White Gel Coat (up to 1989)
$124.25 per quart
$237.30 per gallon
Now Available.....

Off-White Patch Paste Kits
$24.65

Sent email request to Rodda Paint Company. Planning to call them today.

Also have tape samples due from: hullstripes.com ... we'll see how close in color to Tolly turquois/teal color their evidently high quality tape matches up. Of course, being that our 1977 Tolly is 45 yrs. old... not sure how close to original color its stripes have actually remained! - LOL

You could always paint the stripes if you can’t find tape.

Reactions: Art
If searching for tape, vinyl letting companies would be a good place to look. Even if they don't have it in the desired color and size, I'm sure they could cut to desired width from sheet stock.

Personally I think painting on stripes is a superior way to go. It also gives you the ability to protect the stripe from dirt and U/V fading with a polymer wax.

Ted

If searching for tape, vinyl letting companies would be a good place to look. Even if they don't have it in the desired color and size, I'm sure they could cut to desired width from sheet stock.

Personally I think painting on stripes is a superior way to go. It also gives you the ability to protect the stripe from dirt and U/V fading with a polymer wax.

Ted

Quite true regarding the waxing of paint. However, Tape on a 1975 Crestliner runabout we have is still pretty good condition. I imagine in 2022 there's some pretty high quality U/V resistant tapes available... I'm contacting tape dealers and manufacturers; samples should be forthcoming. Doubt I could hand-paint as clean/smooth as tape... without a whole lot of prep work/effort. Problem with tape is color match to orig Tollycraft stripes.

Actually- has anyone been able to contact the Tollycraft Classified folks. I phoned and got what sounded like an 'out of service ' message. I have also tried emailing without getting a response.

Now that I look around their website I found a note that they closed down in 2019. I found an obituary saying that the guy who ran it died in March of this year.

This is email I got back when I contacted Rodda Paint. Still waiting for additional contact... as mentioned in email below.

Thank you for contacting us with your inquiry

Your inquiry has been forwarded to our Store team that handles the Tollycraft paint program and they will be contacting you soon to help you with your needs… Your mailing address is missing and will be needed

Regards,
Priya
PRIYA BHAGAT
Marketing Program Manager
Rodda Paint Co.
6107 N. Marine Drive | Portland, Oregon 97203
(971) 291-3179 | pbhagat@roddapaint.com
http://www.roddapaint.com

FOLLOW RODDA PAINT on SOCIAL MEDIA

Now that I look around their website I found a note that they closed down in 2019. I found an obituary saying that the guy who ran it died in March of this year.

2008 when we purchased our Tolly... Gordon was the owner manager. He'd been Tollycraft Boat Company's lead purchasing agent for 20 +/- yrs in the 70's / 80's. Gordon and I had many a fine conversation over the phone when I ordered various parts.

When Tollycraft went broke in the 90's [under a new purchaser and different management] Gordon purchased the extra parts... that's the stock he sold on the net.

Patsy his wife helped quite a bit too... and, a son also from what I understand. Eventually all things pass...

I do wonder where and if there is still some container sitting around somewhere with Tolly parts sequestered??

:speed boat:

Your local Sherwin Williams store can match any color with oil or water based paint. We found that we couldn't tell the difference even on the same panel. Of course that will get you paint that matches your sample, not necessarily the same as the original color.

If you want to use tape, we've had good luck with https://www.boatus.com/products-and-services/boat-lettering -- both for tape and for lettering.

Jim

Greetings,
Mr. A. You're WAY overthinking this. Take a walk on the wild side...

iu

Tollycraft venturi Plastic

Why the flying bridge plastic wind deflectors are called venturis, don't ask me!
Many years ago I restored a 15' bell Buoy Banshee (2 ft tailfins!) and it needed a windshield. The Fiberglassics group here in the PNW directed me to Middy Plastics in Redmond, the original factory. There is one many standing. Skip. Not only did he make a new windshield from the original pattern, he helped me fit it into the frame. He has turned out to be a good friend, lives on his WWII MIKI tug in Lake Union in Seattle.

He has the original molds to make your venturis in blue. Plus uniflites, baylitter, etc. I don't know how much, I think around $800 for all the pieces up there. I help him once in a while with bigger (two-man) windshields. Very innovative creative guy.

Middy Marine Plastics
9320 151st Ave NE

Redmond, WA 98052
(425) 883-4600

I'm not going to give out his cell number

He works from about 7am-1pm pacific time
Go there, it is a trip, walking into the past!

Attachments

• middy.JPG
    middy.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 40
I recall lips; much more than the heels:

Big, beautiful, lusciously sometimes pursed n' pouty and often smiling wildly... LIPS!!!

Lots of the gals went barefoot anyway! :dance: :smitten:

Since 6/21/22 when I began this thread... Much/many improvement have occurred to our Tolly's refurbishment/enhancement; on its interior and exterior.

At bottom of descriptions in this post is my request for your product suggestion. It is regarding a coating of luster that this coming Monday, 7/11 we plan to apply to all exterior gel coat deck surfaces.

I placed my two best construction workers onto the project. I also worked there while acquiring and supplying needed materials and application tools.

We three diligently worked for four-8 hour days. All exterior smooth surface gelcoat was compounded and then waxed/buffed to a bright glow/shine, stainless railing shined, colorful stripes requiring-so well repainted, windows newly calked, metal rub rail 220 grit sanded to a glow, upholstery cleaned/shined, walls and headliner washed, interior teak baby oil coated, Berber carpet shampooed, under engine and transmission white-cloth absorbent pads replaced a-new. Other items also accomplished.

Next Monday, 7/11 is the final day for we three to be working aboard my Tolly "The Office"... in our quest to approach visual perfection! [LOL] On that day... we plan to coat all exterior decks to bring their corrugated and at times stippled gel coat surfaces back to a condition of sheen, glow or maybe even somewhat of a shine.

Therefore, I ask the following question in search of your experience and guidance for product to apply onto exterior decks that could enhance surface appearance.

Question: What clear coat [or other type of gel coat surface enhancement product] do you feel best to rub onto/into the very clean surface of 45 year old gel coat fiberglass decks that are still in good condition but have lost all shine and appear totally flat [almost chalky looking - but not at all a chalk texture]?

I tried/tested several products. So far have settled on:

"Bona" - Hard Surface Floor Finish - Stone / Tile / Laminate / Vinyl & LTV

https://www.amazon.com/Bona-Kemi-Stone-Laminate-POLISH/dp/B000QZ3DDA?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Your input appreciated!!

Cheers! - Art

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom