Cummins 480e with 6500 - 7000 hours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

welippisch

Vessel Name
Adrift
Vessel Make
MS 400
To All,

I have 4 years experience with a 2007 single engine trawler that had a Yanmar 6LY2A-STP with 1800 hours. Never any engine or generator issues.

I am now considering the purchase of a larger 2003 Trawler with 6500-7000 hours on the Cummins 480e engines. Along with 2 Onan generators 17kw and 9 kw. Hours are approximately 5600 and 6100 hours. Maintenance invoices from the last 3 years show that they have been completed yearly without any significant comments or parts replaced listed. Unfortunately oil sample results are not available but "were done without abnormalities". Engines start up easily without any smoke apparent.

My question - other than looking at oil samples, what should I be looking for in these engines? What is their typical useful, average life, if maintained properly?

Thanks

Ed

Sbar marine is your best source of reality on this question. Is it a C or CE? I remember the CEs had head issues. When was the last aftercoolers servicing? If not recent that could be a tell on other maintenance PMs.

What vessel brand?

Yes sbmar.com has a forum that you can ask questions on. They are the Cummins gurus. If the boat is in saltwater then the aftercoolers are a big deal on servicing. Not quite as critical in freshwater. I have 6CTAs in my boat. It is a 98 and I don’t think the aftercoolers had ever been serviced. I put in a new one and am going to replace the core in the other one. But my boat has been freshwater all it’s life.

I agree about Seaboard Marine. www.sbmar.com

Look at the site and go for Tony's tips. He has put a huge amount of effort into providing people like us with info to set the engines up so they will give good life and minimal problems.

When you contact Seaboard have the specific model and serial number of at least one of the engines so they can KNOW what you have for an informed opinion.

Sunchaser has a good point. Specifically what are the model #s of the engines.

If they are the 480CE and the owners ran the engines hard then they can have cylinder head issues if the owner pays little attention. Read about them.

Ask about oil test records. They are not fool proof and one shot tests are not capable of showing trends although they can indicate specific developing problems. A history of oil tests is best so ask. If available then ask to have them Emailed in PDF.

There are several things to check during a survey:

Does the engine start up quickly from cold?

Remove the cap on the valve cover and place your hand over it while in gear at about 1,000 rpm. You should feel little or no blow by.

Does the engine reach rated rpm at wot underway? Does it overheat?

An oil analysis will tell you little unless things are way out of wack, but high Na with K about 1/30 of Na is a pretty good indicator of saltwater injection.

Check the riser spill over height. It should be at least 12” higher than the waterline.

David

All other advice is spot on. In addition, the engine manufacturer may give you guidance based on fuel gallons consumed. If the total consumption is near "recommended overhaul" I would be wary. Any diesel tech should be able to tap into the ECM to get the gallons consumed for you if they are not available on boat displays. If the engines have been run at a lower RPM, gallons consumed might be quite low, if not you may be close to major work.

Just the general condition of things in the ER and lazarette speaks volumes.
Rusty, dirty, oily, grimy, cobbled together— walk away.
Adversely, beware of shiny new paint jobs on motors too, that’s sucker bait!

Back
Top Bottom