Deposits in coolant hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jomarjr

Vessel Name
Scraps
Vessel Make
Albin 36
I am in the process of replacing all hoses and gaskets on my 1979 Lehman 120. When I pulled the coolant hose off the tank, I noticed the old hose full of this crusty material. Any ideas of what it is and the easiest way to flush it from the block?

Attachments

• E13BE061-DB98-4555-971E-06437E715D5A.jpg
    E13BE061-DB98-4555-971E-06437E715D5A.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 46
Assuming it’s the fresh water side….. It’s deposits from hard water. After you have replaced the hoses and it’s back together flush with Prestone radiator flush or the like. Follow instructions on the bottle. When filling with coolant be sure to use a 50/50 premix or distilled water if mixing your own coolant.

If it’s the raw water side what Dave said above.

Greetings,
Mr. J. If it's not too late, leave the old hoses on for flushing purposes. THEN change to the new units.

Are you talking about the sea water side or the coolant side?

Greetings,
Mr. J. If it's not too late, leave the old hoses on for flushing purposes. THEN change to the new units.

I haven't removed the old hoses yet, this is a good idea - I will flush before installing anything new. Fingers crossed not too many leaks!

If the coolant side looks like that the sea water side is probably pretty bad too. So BB may be in order for that.

Trying to flush a motor that looks like that would just be prolonging trouble. I would take the coolers off and have them cleaned at a radiator shop.

Greetings,
Mr. j. One more thing I VERY vaguely recall (may or may NOT be true). There is a "pocket" somewhere in the Lehman engine cooling cavities (#6 cylinder?) that fills up with refuse suggesting some sort of reverse flush is in order. Don't know if this is true or possible but I think I remember something of this sort??????

Trying to flush a motor that looks like that would just be prolonging trouble. I would take the coolers off and have them cleaned at a radiator shop.

It can be a DIY job, but I would completely disassemble the entire system, including tubes and hoses, and make sure all parts are cleaned and then flushed clear of resulting debris.
Cleaning is useless if debris remain in the system, and they will eventually block flow. Some motors utilize a filter or wye strainers to catch debris.
Don’t forget that coolant has a useable lifespan of about 3 years, it looks like this was an overlooked maintenance item on your motor!

Clean it well and thoroughly and reverse flush with a good coolant side cleaner .
Cummins also offers one, Cummins RESTORE.

Do NOT use tap water. Get distilled water from the pharmacy or it will rebuild that scale.

Ran into that a lot when servicing I/O set ups. Owners used tap water which leaves those deposits. It's way worse when the water is from a natural source rather than municipal source. Always use distill water unless it's an emergency, then make sure the system is thoroughly cleaned when repairs are made.

I'm a little nerdy and would probably do a bit of testing in my kitchen by trying to see what dissolves it. Take a sample of those white deposits:

- try dissolving in vinegar (acid)
- try dissolving in baking soda/water mixture (base)

My guess is vinegar would dissolve it, and that would indicate mineral deposits. I would then make sure whatever cleaner I use is acidic.

I'm a little nerdy and would probably do a bit of testing in my kitchen by trying to see what dissolves it. Take a sample of those white deposits:

- try dissolving in vinegar (acid)
- try dissolving in baking soda/water mixture (base)

My guess is vinegar would dissolve it, and that would indicate mineral deposits. I would then make sure whatever cleaner I use is acidic.

Yes, vinegar will dissolve the deposits. That's what we used to clean cooling systems when I was an auto tech, and when I started working on boats, I carried that practice over. Since then, Barnacle Buster has came out, and I haven't used it. If I get another boat that is kept or used in salt water, I plan to give it a try. Seen a lot of good youtube videos with success stories. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom