Dimensions of Helm slding door

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SimonBryan

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Monesk
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy 32
Hi all
We have an IG32 built in 1986, recently i had cause to rebuild the helm door to damage and subsequent rot. Seems I may have made a rookie mistake in my measurements in not checking if the door was rectangular or slight rhmboid.
The new door was really nice except it didnt fit.
Now i look more carefully it seems the door may be about 3cm out of square. If not I am stumped!
Can anyone confirm the size of the door and if indeed it is slightly out of square before I go and build a new one?

Life lesson: nothing in or on a boat is ever square. Things may not be parallel, etc.

Best to use the old one as a template or get someone to template theirs for you. Or build a mock-up out of cheap materials in place to get the dimensions & details sorted out before doing a nice job again. Good luck!

Sadly by hte time i got it home the old one was not a real good template. But yes agree I should have checked more.

We have an IG36 and will measure the door later today and post the dimensions.

The door measures 27-5/8” x 57-1/2”. It is not square though, I didn’t bring anything to measure the angle today, but can maybe later or tomorrow. I checked it with a stiff piece of paper I had onboard.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom