Dinghy Davits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Panacea123

Vessel Name
Panacea
Vessel Make
Novatec 42 Sundeck Trawler
Looking for the best Davit solution for my aft cabin trawler
10ft RIB
Thoughts and pics appreciated

Attachments

• 507D3695-22D1-4605-A127-8F15ED684ED2.jpg
    507D3695-22D1-4605-A127-8F15ED684ED2.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 69
We put Seawise davits on a previous boat and loved them because you don’t have to remove the motor.

Thinking about Weaver Davits (similar) using 2 stroke so no need for motor tilt.
Wondering about other options

You could also do hanging davits and pull it up above those aft windows. That would avoid losing your view out the back. But pretty much any option will hurt use of the platform due to your ladder arrangement.

Thinking about Weaver Davits (similar) using 2 stroke so no need for motor tilt.
Wondering about other options

Two thoughts:
1) As you age, that easy lifting motor will eventually not be easy lifting.

2) Eventually that 2 stroker will go to 2 stroke heaven and you will be looking at a 4 stroke.

Another vote for Seawise davits at age 72.

Fortunately the 2 stroke only has about 50 hours on it, just got it out of storage after 20 years and serviced it. Should last me for a while.
Weaver Davits appeal to me for a few reasons.
Clean install not in the way when dink is deployed.
Will give solid footing on boarding
No need to remove or tilt (2 stroke)

Downside
Have to remove fuel tank and empty dink when stored.
Plan on cruising the Great Lakes in fair weather so can mostly tow in right conditions.

Just looking at all the options
Thanks

We had Seawise davits on a previous boat. We set up the RIB so that the battery and fuel tank did not need to be removed when the dinghy was tipped up. I literally could launch the dinghy in one minute and retrieve it in about 3 minutes. And that was with a hand crank. Now I would use an 18 volt drill instead of the hand crank. The davits were awesome. Great customer service. No affiliation.

How did you deal with the fuel tank and battery?
I guess AGM and just close the vent on the tank? (Secured of course)

Yes we did use an AGM battery. They make a 3 gallon gas tank that looks like an L from the side. When you tip the dinghy the gas flows into the L and uncovers, so to speak, the filler cap so the gas level is below the filler. And we secured them both so they wouldn’t move. The battery with a more permanent tie down, the gas tank with S/S rachet tie down. Amazon has the S/S rachet tie downs. I don’t think that we even closed the vent on the gas tank so it could expand and contract but it still didn’t leak.

Defender has several different 3 gallon L shaped tanks. They even show them in a vertical position in the photo

What dinghy? If it’s a RIB why not just tow it? I had a heavily modified Roskelly on my trawler to hold a 13.5’ Nautica with Yamaha 50 - very challenging to maneuver in tight places. If you have to have davits then folks in my club have liked Seawise.

We second the Seawise solution. After three seasons it is a super set up.

JimL

When you’ve got that style of boat and platform setup, It would be hard to figure a more practical, efficient (and economical) setup than Seawise or Weaver. I’d do it. The ideas mentioned above on fuel tank & battery options would seal the deal for me.

With that ladder any set up has to have a reasonable offset aft of the aft edge of the swim platform. Other than doing something complex involving storing the dinghy on top of the sun deck roof I think Seawise might be the only real solution for a “larger” RIB.

Back
Top Bottom