Dinghy Search for A Trailerable Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

portager

Vessel Name
Osprey
Vessel Make
Nimble Wanderer
I'm searching for a rigid hull inflatable boat (RHIB) to use as a dinghy for our trailerable trawler, Osprey. We need a minimum of ~750 lbs of payload (3 people ~600 lbs, a 10 HP outboard ~105 lb, and a fuel tank). I plan to use a Seawise davit to carry the dinghy crosswise on the swim platform at sea. However, I don't want the dinghy broadside to the wind at Interstate speed, and it would block the primary access route to the boat on the trailer (we plan to stay onboard during multi-day trips for boat security), so my plan is to recover onto the boat trailer, deflate the sponsons and put the RHIB in the bed of the truck for overland transport. Therefore, the collapsed length must be <8 feet. Osprey has an 8.5-foot beam and since I don't want the dinghy protruding more than a few inches on each side, a length of 8.5' to 9" would be ideal.

I have looked at many RHIB options, but most are too large. So far, the best option I have found is the Highfield CL260 which has a length of 8'6", a max payload of 794 lbs, and a package size is 7'3" x 3'6" x 1'5" (LxWxH).

The Highfield CL290 has a length of 9'6", a max payload of 1058 lbs, and the package size is 8'2" x 3'6" x 1'5" (LxWxH). Which is too long for the truck bed.

I wondering what Highfield users' opinions are of Highfield RIBS, and also if someone could recommend an alternative that would stow in an 8' pickup bed and possibly provide higher payload capacity.

You might also think about making some kind of a bracket to carry the dinghy above the pickup box. That way you could still use the bed for carrying things. A hundred pound dinghy would not be too difficult to lift up onto a bracket.

I've been aboard a few Highfields and they seem really well made. My slip neighbor has one with a small center console and the wiring work inside the console is gorgeous.

Since you'll be pulling the engine often, consider an older two stroke 9.9. They are really light and most can be upgraded to 15HP with an inexpensive carburetor swap should you desire a little extra power. I converted a 2004 Mercury 9.9 to 15HP a couple of years ago for around 250 bucks and 20 minutes work. I think it weighs 79 lbs. They are pretty loud and they do use a lot fuel, so there are downsides to a two stroke, but for your application, it seems like a perfect fit.

I'm not sure if the tubes on a rigid hull inflatable are intended to be inflated and deflated on a regular basis. You should check with the manufacturer on this.

Why not just load the dinghy (inflated) at an angle in the truck bed?

Highfield has a good reputation. I see a lot of Highfield inflatables around marinas and on boats.

I'm searching for a rigid hull inflatable boat (RHIB) to use as a dinghy for our trailerable trawler, Osprey. We need a minimum of ~750 lbs of payload (3 people ~600 lbs, a 10 HP outboard ~105 lb, and a fuel tank). I plan to use a Seawise davit to carry the dinghy crosswise on the swim platform at sea. However, I don't want the dinghy broadside to the wind at Interstate speed, and it would block the primary access route to the boat on the trailer (we plan to stay onboard during multi-day trips for boat security), so my plan is to recover onto the boat trailer, deflate the sponsons and put the RHIB in the bed of the truck for overland transport. Therefore, the collapsed length must be <8 feet. Osprey has an 8.5-foot beam and since I don't want the dinghy protruding more than a few inches on each side, a length of 8.5' to 9" would be ideal.

I have looked at many RHIB options, but most are too large. So far, the best option I have found is the Highfield CL260 which has a length of 8'6", a max payload of 794 lbs, and a package size is 7'3" x 3'6" x 1'5" (LxWxH).

The Highfield CL290 has a length of 9'6", a max payload of 1058 lbs, and the package size is 8'2" x 3'6" x 1'5" (LxWxH). Which is too long for the truck bed.

I wondering what Highfield users' opinions are of Highfield RIBS, and also if someone could recommend an alternative that would stow in an 8' pickup bed and possibly provide higher payload capacity.
https://www.achillesboats.com/boatmodels/tendersandsportboats/lsi/ the Achilles 260E

Thanks for all the comments. I should have mentioned that my truck currently has a topper over the bed, which I like for the secure storage it provides. Also, most years I'll only be deflating and reinflating the sponsons for transport twice per year. Once to go to the PNW and once to return home, but I'll check with the manufacturer to make sure that won't cause damage or premature wear. I'm considering getting a rack that could go over the topper to support the RHIB at least as an alternative if not the primary means of transport.

I'd suggest measuring the front deck. It might sit happily upside down in front of the pilot house. I've carried inflatables that way on sailboats. If it fits it should be easy to secure.

I have a Highfield 340UL and have been very impressed with it. If you could manage a 290 I think you'd be happy with it. The 260 looks too small to me, but I don't have any hands-on experience.

Nice boat, BTW. I looked at some of your earlier pictures.

Back
Top Bottom