DIY Weld Mount Panel Fastening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeaBoy

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1982 Albin 40 DC
Not sure this is of any weight- but in my new electrical panel build, I needed a way to fasten my neutral bus bars to the back of the panel. Because of the less than slightly look of fasteners on the face of the panel, I was looking at Weld Mounts to secure these bus bars. To get started, their kit is like $130 even though you could probably do it cheaper.

I decided to make my own “weld mounts” by using 1/4-20 SS Tee Nuts. Filled the tee nuts with grease then put them in a container of epoxy with 2 layers of glass at the bottom(probably not needed). Greased em so the epoxy didn’t go in the threads so later I didn’t need to tap them. Not sure how I’m gonna glue them on yet, maybe jb weld/thickened epoxy

Anyone else have good ideas of bus bar fastening to your panels?

Attachments

• IMG_2367.jpg
    IMG_2367.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2368.jpg
    IMG_2368.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 43
I would clean the area with acetone, sand it with 80 grit to give some tooth, clean again with acetone and then use thickened epoxy since I have that on hand. Don’t have any JB Weld on hand.

Might I add… it’s being glued to my polycarbonate panel. Not sure that matters on the jb weld vs thickened epoxy

Might I add… it’s being glued to my polycarbonate panel. Not sure that matters on the jb weld vs thickened epoxy

Either one will glue to the poly base, but sand with heavy grit paper to give the panel some tooth for best holding.

How thin is the poly panel?

I think it’s .18”

OK...too thin for other ideas.

JB Weld or MarineTex should work as long as cables are secured well to another strong object.

I was hoping for screw in clamps off to the side of the panel...GOOD, TRUSTWORTHY securing points, glued on good but second best in my book.

he'll need those too, but a clamp very near the buss will do a lot. plus, the wires themselves when secured in a bundle will help support each other.

I would like to add that straight epoxy (like the West System) is not the BEST for adhesion. It is very brittle by itself. The strength comes from the glass fibers or thickening agents added after the Epoxy ratio is mixed correctly.

he'll need those too, but a clamp very near the buss will do a lot. plus, the wires themselves when secured in a bundle will help support each other.

Just hoping the sides of the panel were close enough a second clamp right at the buss wouldn't be necessary but yes if the span is more than a few inches.

Back
Top Bottom