Do you have to pay to park at your marina?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you pay a fee to park at your marina?

• Total voters

FlyWright

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
FlyWright
Vessel Make
1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I just got a notice today from the Vallejo Muni Marina stating that effective in less than 2 weeks, I have to pay the city $10/mo per car to park at my marina. It's not being billed by the marina so I have to pay separately online each month for the 'privilege' of parking at the marina in which I'm a non-liveaboard tenant.

In the big scheme of things, $120 or $240 per year ain't a whole lot, but I'm interested if others have to do the same thing.

Thanks!

In my mind, that's crazy. Having somewhere to park while I'm at the boat should be an expected feature of paying for a slip. I could understand if they were to limit it to 1 or 2 spots per boat and pay for more, but having to pay to park at all is just crazy.

My marina is an inner city one, and the only parking available is street parking or a public carpark, both options more than $10 per day. Fortunately I can ride a bicycle to it from home so I just park for short periods to drop off stuff.

But I think the majority of marinas here would have free parking for berth users, behind an access gate.

I never have had to pay at a commercial marina.

Parking at my marina is free for those who have a slip or mooring. In fact, if there wasn't parking, it would be a LONG walk from a municipal parking lot!

Ken

I've not encountered that in my home marina or any other.

I got the same notice. At first I thought it was for Wrangell. :eek:

Considering all the vacant space they have, it's just one more way Calif communities make it a PIA to live there.

I do see that a few day people park there and walk to the ferry, but it's not more than half a dozen.

Isn’t the City of Vallejo bankrupt and essentially poverty stricken? Perhaps they need to get funds any way they can including charging for parking?

No charge for parking at our State Park Marina.

At the downtown Toronto marina I'm currently in they charge about $100/mo for a season parking pass, or $20 per entry. Even with a pass parking availability is not guaranteed, as they allow public parking until full.

Free parking (one pass) for slip holders. But it was a long uphill battle to get that. Used to pay for an annual pass.

Here In chicago we get a parking space included in our fees (at 5k for 6 months btw) but each additional costs us $300 for the season. Actually cheap for chicago for open lot parking.....

From another’s comments- sounds like they realize it’s another revenue stream and chose to make it separate- eventually maybe they will include it...

My marina is an inner city one, and the only parking available is street parking or a public carpark, both options more than $10 per day. Fortunately I can ride a bicycle to it from home so I just park for short periods to drop off stuff.

But I think the majority of marinas here would have free parking for berth users, behind an access gate.

Same here. We only have street parking (almost all pay parking or for those few areas that are not pay a 2 hour limit) or public carpark. Street parking is not useable for "going away". If going away, I drop the wife at the boat (with supplies etc.), take the car home to park inside our garage, and take a public bus back to the marina. It works out OK.
When coming home, take the bus home to get the car.

Day time parking is free at the municipal marina in Crisfield, MD. You get a free vehicle tag for overnight parking for the first vehicle. No idea what a second overnight tag would cost. Frankly doubt they ever check. At the Yacht club in Fort Myers, parking is free, but you do have to get past the guard house.

Ted

The greed of gobment in action. It is never enough. The left(ist) coast is awash in it...

More and more marinas are charging for parking. Or building marinas in downtown areas with no parking available and tenants have to park in a pay lot.

Des Moines Marina recently started charging for parking. Marina tenants receive free passes.

As greedy as the City of Des Moines is, they will find a way to charge marina tenants in the future.

Not a cent.

Don't have a marina
Don't use a marina
Don't have a car
Less worries that way

Vallejo isn't like a busy city where there is a shortage of parking.

Another thing I didn't like about it was you had to sign an application stating that you would comply with the Parking Rules and Regulations. So far no one can tell me what they are. An incomplete summary says nothing over 6000 lbs or 21', which means I can't park my pickup in their lot - for any price.

In an area where there is a multiyear wait for slips, the Vallejo marina is about 1/2 empty. This isn't going to help fill it.

IF they are charging you, they must be assuming some liability for your car?

Supply and Demand.

pete

Or to prevent and or identify abandon cars?

It looks like a user fee directly charging those that use the marina. As opposed to taxing the citizens of Vallejo, few of whom own boats, to cater to the wants of a minority. It’s good conservative economic policy. Why should a working class family in Vallejo pay an extra dime in taxes so that out of town yacht owners don’t have to pay to park?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom