Door roller hardware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieO.

Guru
Vessel Name
Luna C.
Vessel Make
1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Where could I find something like these? They are the rollers off the bottom of my sliding helm door.

Attachments

• 0DCA6A16-4D66-472E-98F8-8DF5EFD304BE.jpg
    0DCA6A16-4D66-472E-98F8-8DF5EFD304BE.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 47
Maybe adapt rollers from a patio sliding door.

However, you likely can make or get made the actual rollers out of Delrin or Nylon.
Just cut or grind off , carefully, the pin that holds the rollers.

Any decent machinist could produce those rollers, even a rank amateur. Know anyone with a lathe?

I would though use the Black versions of the Delrin or Nylon. They are almost immune to any UV light which can damage the natural, white versions.

Use a piece of brass rod or better a bronze rod and remake the pins with just enough length that the ends can be peened over.

Unfortunately though I cannot suggest any hardware.
Have you asked on the Marine Trader forum? Others have to have gone through this and worked out the problem.
This is actually common for all boats like yours, G.B., M.T., CHB, and so on.

Last edited:
You could try using UHMW plastic and make slides instead of wheels. That plastic is pretty slippery.

Last edited:
My rear door had Bakelite rollers that had ground flat. Door was out of tolerance and would rock when opened.

I tried making Delrin rollers, but ended up cutting a block of Delrin with the hole off center. That way I could rotate the block and raise or lower the door in 1/8" increments. I cut a shallow groove so it stays on the rail.

Door screams open now, have to be careful in seas.

Dig around in my blog, grandbankschoices, and you will find it.

My rear door had Bakelite rollers that had ground flat. Door was out of tolerance and would rock when opened.

I tried making Delrin rollers, but ended up cutting a block of Delrin with the hole off center. That way I could rotate the block and raise or lower the door in 1/8" increments. I cut a shallow groove so it stays on the rail.

Door screams open now, have to be careful in seas.

Dig around in my blog, grandbankschoices, and you will find it.

My rollers work really well aside of being extremely noisy, the problem is one of the ears is broken off where screw hole should be.

I tuned up my door this summer and yea it slides too good now it always wants to slide open if an ant so much as farts on it. I'm thinking of coming up with something so the door only slides to where I put and stays there. Maybe a magnet and slide.

My rollers work really well aside of being extremely noisy, the problem is one of the ears is broken off where screw hole should be.

I tuned up my door this summer and yea it slides too good now it always wants to slide open if an ant so much as farts on it. I'm thinking of coming up with something so the door only slides to where I put and stays there. Maybe a magnet and slide.

On a NT32 the previous owner crafted a little rubber cam thing a majiggy at the top of the frame. just press the lever and the came would friction lock at that position. Sorry I don't have a photo but it worked great. You could use a standard barrel lock on the top of the door frame and make a series of holes in the door but I try to avoid anything that requires such a permanent, destructive change.

Still looking for these door rollers.

I did look at sliding screen door hardware, but it seemed much too light duty. Hopefully will be pulling off the shrink wrap in a month or so and will need to put the door back on.

I am considering fabricating a plastic rail to match with the existing bronze slide on the bottom of the door frame, but replacing the hardware with duplicates would be a time saver.

I just replace the sliding door rollers on both doors and found a great roller that i was able to fit into the existing cutout at the bottom of the door. The link shows the roller with a steal roller but i was able to order it with a nylon wheel. I have a nylon track already and the door now slides like silk. Also rather than attach with screws i went with a long shank rivert through the fiberglass door molding . I have already reinstalled the doors other wise i would send a photo.

https://www.swisco.com/Roller-Assem...MIuYiGt7Ga_QIVUsqGCh3_zAvQEAsYFiABEgIEjfD_BwE

I just replace the sliding door rollers on both doors and found a great roller that i was able to fit into the existing cutout at the bottom of the door. The link shows the roller with a steal roller but i was able to order it with a nylon wheel. I have a nylon track already and the door now slides like silk. Also rather than attach with screws i went with a long shank rivert through the fiberglass door molding . I have already reinstalled the doors other wise i would send a photo.

https://www.swisco.com/Roller-Assem...MIuYiGt7Ga_QIVUsqGCh3_zAvQEAsYFiABEgIEjfD_BwE

Thanks, I checked out their offerings, did you just call and request nylon rollers? Are the rollers easily replaceable? I did like some of the double wheel roller units in stainless, but the seemed a little pricy so I will check to be sure they will fit my door width-wise. If I can choose nylon wheels that seems like a good option to help with a quieter slide.

Is your boat a 35'? I've been keeping my eye out for a 35' sundeck model. Not that we are ready to buy our next boat yet but would like a bigger aft stateroom without going to a bigger boat.

Last edited:
Hi Charlie. I purchased them back in November and i found it on line but do not see them anymore. I suggest you contact them and request if they have them. Exactly the same body but Nylon roller. I can now slide the door with 'ONE" finger LOL.

Yes i have the 35 Sundeck. In the process of doing a total renovation on the aft teak deck/soft spots/split teak, chalking/bungs. The previous owner totally neglected it (120 sq ft) The outside space is amazing and does create a very big aft Stateroom.

The MT and SENATORS are very similar. Part of the same boat building yard ,same hull i believe.

also just replaces all the leaking windows and delaminated glass...jobs never end.

We are in luck..I just found them on AMAZON $12 a par , stainless steel with white or black Nylon wheels...they say they are for Garage doors so i hope will have a long and happy life on the water> A perfect fit for any MT/CHB/SENATOR Trawler

MroMax 2Pcs 29mm/1.14" Dia Screen Door Rollers Nylon Black Sliding Wheel Electroplating Sliding Wheel with Stainless Steel Shell for Garage Screen

Thanks for the link, I started perusing Amazon also, you find those ones quicker than me. I’ll put some in my cart.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom