Efficient Air Con for battery powered A/C?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ERTF

That video has me thinking the solar/battery powered A/C dream might actually be possible for me. I'm in south florida. Have 1700w solar, and about 1100ah of lead acid (12v). My aft cabin is about 10x12.

This youtubers homemade 12v A/C apparently draws 185w due to an extremely efficient compressor he found that's made for some military application. He's in the tropics and claims by morning it's only running 1/3rd of the time (although his cabin is pretty small).

I have heard there have been some efficiency advancements by some marine A/C brands. For comparisons sake, I'm just wondering if anybody here has a particularly efficient (ac or dc) little marine unit just for use in one reasonably sized cabin? I've read some have an eco mode.

Last edited:
A generalisation, I know but I've found mass production and Consumer energy ratings produce the lowest cost and most efficient appliances. Niche markets and low volumes tend to produce the opposite. Don't get me started on "marine" rated labelled equipment. ?

If you are ok with a split system, it would be hard to find a more efficient AC than a regular inverter domestic unit. Here they are rated down to 2500w but that is cooling power. Electrical draw is a fraction of that when actually running. They also offer a much softer start in comparison to the old on/off relay based units. I've seen ratings down to 300w in developing countries where houses may not have the electrical capacity or US/Aussie houses.

Perhaps an option??

Back
Top Bottom