electric BBQ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wfleenor

Vessel Name
Double-Wide
Vessel Make
49ft Custom Power Catamaran
Has anyone found and been happy with an electric BBQ on their boat? Thanks.

I`ve got one, Australian manufactured, so brand won`t help you. Previously had LPG bbqs which I prefer, but this one came with the boat 4 years ago, does the job, requires genset on, doesn`t require bottle refills, doesn`t impart a bbq flavor like the Magmas did. On balance, rather have LPG.

Yeah. I tried an electric BBQ once and that was enough. They just don't get hot enough.

Had one years ago that I loved for the boat....not too big and got REALLY hot to sear stuff nicely.

It had a thick porcelain base and seemed to retain the heat instead of conducting it away like the metal ones I have tried since. The only problem with the porcelain base....less than indestructible, thus my having to be disappointed with the newer models.

Moral..... make sure the one you get can get and stay hot.

Last edited:
To be fair, mine does get hot enough to caramelize a steak. It has a metal and glass hinged cover which helps. Just let it heat well first, and don`t overload it. I have to admit, it`s very convenient.
Or get an LPG one.

Good enough that I wouldn’t consider replacing the one that came built in with our current boat, but not as good as the Blaze grill we had mounted on the rail of our last one. They do make nice grill marks and are easy to keep clean. I thought I would be annoyed with having to run the generator to use it but it’s actually a good opportunity to top up the batteries and make some water before the evening. Not having to worry about running out of propane is also nice.

I don't have an electric BBQ, instead I have an electric commercial grill plate and that works fine. I covered it so the wind cannot blow straight over the cooking surface and it works out fine.

Thanks all. Just trying to decide if I want to get rid of LP altogether.

I am shy of appliances that consume a lot of electricity, so LP is my fuel of choice for all cooking.
Oops, full disclosure here, I do have a 700w microwave onboard that I like and use often without noticing a huge impact on batteries.

Back
Top Bottom