Engine Oscillations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Juliet 15

Vessel Name
Knot Hours
Vessel Make
Hatteras 58 LRC
Hi all, I've been observing a very small oscillation in the stbd engine (DD 4-71N, Glendinning synch, Hat 58LRC). It's been going on for probably a year. I set 1300 rpm to cruise, and after about 1 to 2 hrs the stbd engine will "hunt" by about 25 rpm above and below the port engine. If I set the rpm to 1400 or 1200 it goes away. It's not an issue, except it's an audible rpm change.

Any ideas?

Engines "hunt" for various reasons. Normally in no load . Under load, could be a few things.
Start with the simple stuff. Fuel restriction. Change filters and for fuel air leaks , Second check the Glendenning cable , It could be restricted. Check first then we move on
To determine if it is the glendenning, when it happens , turn off the sync and manually set the throttles, If it continues it is not the Glendenning.

Start there and we can continue.

Good advice from Greg above. Also, check for a sticky cable or loose fitting which secures the cable sheath or end fittings. If there is a lubrication maintenance on the lead screw of the motors, perform that and see if it improves.

Back
Top Bottom