Faria gauges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cosmo

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Shear Bliss
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 44
1988 Tollycraft 44 with twin 8.2 Detroits

Our boat went in the water today after sitting on 'the hard' for 4 months. We just found a new marina and excited to be back floating.

I have Faria temp gauges on flybridge. Faria temp gauge on port engine at lower station and stock temp gauge on starboard lower (I don't know why or what previous owners did). On flybridge, temps are around 160 at 1700 rpm. Lower station-port, mirrors the flybridge port gauge. However, starboard lower is at 180 which is acceptable but starboard upper is 160 as well. So to recap; 3 gauges say 160 and the one odd ball stock gauge says 180.

We bought the boat last June and worked on her all summer until going on the hard. During mechanical survey, she checked all great.

Why would starboard temp sending unit tell the lower gauge it's twenty degrees hotter and then relay that same info to upper gauge at 160?

Do the sending units and gauges need to be matched? I am thinking maybe the Faria gauges aren't matched to the sending unit.

I think the stock gauge and sending unit may be correct. 160 on the other three seems a little cool.

An easy way to test is to swap the oddball gauge with the one next to it and see if the problem follows the gauge or remains in the circuit. I'd look for a simple poor wire connection first, though. A bad ground or sender connection will cause higher resistance and affect the reading.

I have Faria temp gauges on flybridge. Faria temp gauge on port engine at lower station and stock temp gauge on starboard lower (I don't know why or what previous owners did). On flybridge, temps are around 160 at 1700 rpm. Lower station-port, mirrors the flybridge port gauge. However, starboard lower is at 180 which is acceptable but starboard upper is 160 as well. So to recap; 3 gauges say 160 and the one odd ball stock gauge says 180.

Why would starboard temp sending unit tell the lower gauge it's twenty degrees hotter and then relay that same info to upper gauge at 160?

I think you're saying both gauges on your port engine agree, whereas both gauges on your starboard engine disagree, yes?

(Not quite the same as three agree and one's off.)

Anyway, Faria gauges aren't the most accurate in the free world.

You could take an IR temp reading at the engines, compare to gauge read-outs...

Then if necessary, adjust a gauge (or two or four) or maybe replace. (Actually, we had adjustable Faria tachs, but I don't remember whether there were adjustments on the temp gauges or not...)

And/or what Boomer said.

-Chris

Thank you all. Looks like I have some homework....

Back
Top Bottom