Feedback for remote fuel senders...what's wrong with this idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HW...i have Garmin stuff as well. Ill have to look up those senders. Thanks for confirming my thoughts.

Ditto on the Tank Tender recommendation: KISS+No Elex+Remote Readout+Excellent Vendor Support. Ten years, no problems. Did have to replace black water tank sensor tube (VERY easy) because it got clogged with ... well, you know what it got clogged with.

I all so love tank tender for multiple tank monitoring. Another possibility would be a Centroid 90 degree tank sender y would not need access to the top of the tank.

I agree. I will have to look into the Maretron.

Anyone have experience with the accuracy of the Maretron?

Fintry's 160 gallon day tank has a glass sight gauge and a Maretron FPM-100. I added the FPM-100 because the 160 gallons lasts about 20 hours and on overnight passages you need to keep track of fuel state in the wheelhouse. For a couple of years I logged both the sight gauge and the FPM-100 reading. The tank is rectangular so it's easy to convert inches in the sight gauge into gallons and the Maretron gauge reads in gallons if you want.

I graphed one against the other -- it's a straight line within 1/2" of fuel. That's less than 1% of full scale (60").

Maretron also makes a sonar gauge which reads up to 40" depth. It's significantly cheaper, but you have to have access to the top of the tank and for best results you need to insert a tube that runs from top to bottom of the tank to eliminate the effect of sloshing. I use the sonar gauge where I can and the pressure gauge only when there's no choice.

Jim

As RickyD mentioned above there are tank float sending units that mount through the side instead of the top.

Actually the Centroid has no moving parts. It can be ordered in different lengths and can be bent to accommodate a slanted tank. I think it is also programable for irregularly shaped tanks but mine is rectangular so I'm not completely sure about that.

Actually the Centroid has no moving parts. It can be ordered in different lengths and can be bent to accommodate a slanted tank. I think it is also programable for irregularly shaped tanks but mine is rectangular so I'm not completely sure about that.

Oh, ok sorry I didn't look it up beforehand. I'll check them out, not that I need them but always like to learn.

Ditto on the Tank Tender recommendation: KISS+No Elex+Remote Readout+Excellent Vendor Support. Ten years, no problems. Did have to replace black water tank sensor tube (VERY easy) because it got clogged with ... well, you know what it got clogged with.
BarkingSands' situation is the perfect use for the Tank Tenders.
I had them in my last boat. They work and require no fabrication.

Last edited:
Just a thought, install a camera.

I have a Garmin camera as part of the new install. Not a bad option.

I already purchased the gauges and senders andvrecieved them. Pretty good quality for the price. Now that i have the sizes I will get some 3" pipe this weekend and some weld on bungs and make the little tanks. This really is a simple and fun project for me and I enjoy doing these types of things. I will report back on how it turned out.

Again the reasons are multilayered but at the top of that list is to have a fuel quantity system that can be seen at a glance easily everytime you walk by.

I appreciate all the fantastic feedback and ideas. Much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom