Fishing during the loop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crappierod

How do you fishermen handle each state fishingl icenses as yor travel durling the loop?

Always wondered that same question!

Buy in each state or don't fish.

Some places like NJ just require a Salt Water anglers registration....available online free.

Most southern states require a separate saltwater license with fees.....I am betting all other states for fresh water parts of the loop will require one also. Which will start just north of NYC on the Hudson and go around till hitting the ICW in Mobile/Louisiana.

On some bodies of water if you fish near a border, one states license may be good into the adjoining states waters, careful fact checking is needed for that. May also be true for salt water...just not sure which states and where.

Last edited:
I don't fish on the Monk. 2 other boats in NJ for that! Too much PITA to try to comply with all of the states rules along the way and still have the correct tackle to catch anything. Until there is a Federal license good in all states, no fishing.

I don't know about elsewhere, but here in Maine bag limits, seasons, size limits, restricted areas and other regulations have gotten so complicated that it's not worth trying to learn them all for the few times I'd go fishing. I'm not even sure I know what they're talking about with all the different types of hooks you're not allowed or are required to use in all the different situations.

That's so true... the licenses are the easy part.... the dang regs will trip you up as fast as anything.

I am not against regs, just it's hard to stay up with them. There are phone apps that help but I find trying to use a phone and handle a fish and tackle all near the water to be tricky.... usually the catch and release is where the phone goes in the water just before the fish.

Find on the trawler trolling is ineffective and too much trouble in confined waters . We are either going too fast or it’s just too much trouble when we hook up. Have on occasion used the headsets to maintain communication between helm and back cockpit where the rod holders are but it still annoying to have headsets on or to go slow enough to effectively troll.
Have had much better luck and enjoyment fishing and/or trolling off the dinghy. Will go through the exercise of getting license(s) if we’re going to be in a state for awhile. They usually charge non residents more money so have given up on fresh water licenses. Just license for salt when you don’t have to get both. Do print out the state regulations for limits, season and size for the state we’re in . Do take a peek at it before getting lines wet.
When outside the 3m limit don’t worry about licensing. Here using the trawler works better as we’re usually running a fixed course. Use the same trick we used during sailboat passages. Tie in a shock cord into the line to leave a loop of line slack. Have that loop far enough back it shows up on our aft camera. So from the helm know when we’ve hooked up. Unlike when in fresh water can be going along at a decent speed and still catch fish. Put out 2 lures that run deep. One that runs subsurface and one on the surface. Aim for nothing big as big is too much trouble to boat, clean and store. Don’t fish at night.
On the sailboat used Cuban yo-yos. On the trawler use short boat rods but could use yo-yos if storage is a problem. Where there’s saragasso don’t bother trying to fish. Too much a PIA clearing lures. From the dinghy most fun has been Spanish mackerel and sea trout on the fly. But also drop Carolina rigs with frozen shrimp from the aft cockpit when at anchor with good luck.
Last trip got licensed for salt in SC , RI and VA. Didn’t bother with the other states. Just wanted to know minimum size mostly. Unless you’re going to eat it and have room to store it everything is catch and release. So try to not use a gaff. Given wife and I don’t like a lot of species to eat it just a few target fish get boated. For us that usually means one decent sized fish but not too big that we can’t store the fillets or steaks. Exception is drum and trout. So catch limits usually aren’t a concern. Seasons are as is permissible species but that’s quickly determined. Usually that means one fish a week is kept while following all the rules. At the start of the year have a tape measure permanently installed on the gunnel of the ding and aft cockpit . Then a bunch of small tapes demarcating allowable sizes for target fish just above below that measuring tape. One and done other than adjusting for the state you’re currently in.
Have noticed territories have shifted. Likely due to MMCC. Have started to target black bass as it’s moved into New England and is yummy. Find striper/rock fish harder to get. Favorite offshore remains mahi-mahi and yellow fin.
For the loop and the inland states unless staying put for awhile probably wouldn’t bother with fishing. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
For fishing the Loop, good fresh water fishing is the best at Lake Champlain and the Great Lakes imho. We always bough either a one day or up to a weekly non resident license based on the fishing and where we were. All the lakes have good fishing but multiple non resident seasonal fishing licenses can get expensive. Michigan at the time was $70

I don't know about elsewhere, but here in Maine bag limits, seasons, size limits, restricted areas and other regulations have gotten so complicated that it's not worth trying to learn them all for the few times I'd go fishing. I'm not even sure I know what they're talking about with all the different types of hooks you're not allowed or are required to use in all the different situations.

Agree.

Wildlife regulations are complicated beyond belief, which I understand why, but that does not help complying. Fishing and bird hunting regulations are the worst since both can involve Federal and state regulations/laws.

Later,
Dan

Just logging my 40 or so miles a day really doesn't allow time for fishing. My boat cruises just a tad too fast to troll anyway. Plus it seems like I am always pretty busy with the traveling, meals, docking, reservations, cleaning, resting, etc.

If I find a place where the fishing is particularly good and I have the time I'll get a one day license, although it rarely happens.

pete

Agree regs are a PIA. Same applies to bird hunting. For fresh water fishing you often don’t know what you hooked until it’s boated. Occasionally due to exhaustion or swallowing the hook deeply you’d be releasing a dead fish. I’ve taken to going barbless and not taking fish out of the water using forceps instead so kill a very rare fish. I use circle hooks in salt and barbless on steamers. Pretty much stopped using treble.
But regs can be found on a single sheet for each state.
Here’s an example
https://www.eregulations.com/southcarolina/fishing/finfish-size-catch-limits

Fishing is fun and the fees go to a good purpose. Thnk what I understand unlike other aspects of government huge waste isn’t apparent. People are getting more divorced from the natural world. Taught my kids to fish. Now teaching grandkids to fish and hopefully in a few years to hunt. Don’t want them to think fish and meat only come from stores. There’s something magical about a kid eating a fish they caught (or bird or deer they shot and dressed).

Last edited:
Never found fishing from the trawler as that big of a deal except in weedy areas where it's the same for any boat. Feels good to get up and walk around to check lines or to reel something in.

At 5-6 knots if willing to go that slow (not too bad if Gulf Stream is giving an additional 1-3 knot push.

As far as the 3 mile state waters limits, there are also the Fed regs. This from NOAA web site about highly migratory species.

"About
This permit authorizes vessels to recreationally fish for and retain Atlantic highly migratory species, or HMS, using specific gears. This permit must be renewed annually.

Vessels with this permit may not sell their catch.

Species Covered by this Permit with Rod and Reel
Billfish
Sharks*
Swordfish
Tunas"

So be careful if you catch tuna. Also remember Striped bass has been prohibited in Federal waters and in the Fall, the USCG will slam you off the NE states. You do have to check all the regs, both inshore and Federal waters to be safe.

Also found this on the Floida FWC web site....
Florida state waters are from shore to 3 nautical miles on the Atlantic and from shore to 9 nautical miles on the Gulf. In most places, federal waters extend from where state waters end out to about 200 nautical miles or to where other country's waters begin.

Another thing to consider, is fish legally caught outside the state water limits, but sometimes possession of those fish if coming into port may get you in trouble.... so if coming in each night to a marina, keep that in mind.

All said and done....enforcement on trawler vessels on the East coast for fishing issues would be pretty rare...but yes enforcement is out there looking, especially in certain areas and times for specific species targeting...so just be careful no matter what you do.

Again, licenses from every state seem like a stick in the eye.... but getting them and reading the regs if you really love to fish becomes part of the hobby.

Last edited:
When on passage pretty much lines come in at around 200m offshore. There’s pretty much no worthwhile fishing to be done. It rare to see a fish, even a pelagic fish as once off any continental shelf there’s little for them to eat. Yes there are exceptions where there is enough plankton to support an ascending food chain but those don’t exist in the usual lanes recreational boaters travel.

Western Atlantic has been plagued by saragasso in recent years. Our rule has been if you’re clearing weed more than 3x per watch it’s too much a PIA to fish. Fish don’t like salad with their meals.

We’ve done a fair amount of fishing on passage off sailboats but mostly coastal off the trawler. Have found if going north in the stream you can effectively troll at slightly higher speeds. The fish are in the same current. But best luck has been in eddies and break outs. Think in the stream itself fish are doing what you are doing-traveling.

On the sailboat while on passage the engine would go on at around 5kts. Depending upon wind predictions and length of voyage usually run a 6-7kts and have caught fish. Most fish have been caught under sail at those speeds. On the trawler we usually want to go someplace so mostly are at 7kts or above which is a bit quick for trolling effectively. Have effectively trolled when just out for the day. Then there’s no concern about getting someplace so you can run fast to get where the fish are then slow down for trolling or stop for bottom fishing. Still given our use pattern best fishing is at anchor with simple Carolina rigs or off the dinghy. Have never caught a striped bass in international waters. They’re called rock fish by some for a reason. Even in their migrations from chessie or Hudson they seem to remain in state waters during the times I might go fishing for them. Given my preferred technique is fly following state rules is the main concern. Small tuna is yummy and fun to catch. Only caught and boated giant blues off sportfish. Same with marlin, sail, sword and other large pelagic species. Don’t have tuna bars, nor even umbrella rigs on the trawler. Find umbrella rigs need attention and we’re mom and pop. So aware and follow fed rules but they mostly don’t apply. Always wondered about yo-yos. Been using rod reel rules but it’s unclear to me.

I do do the appropriate licensing but would say in my entire life (started fishing with my dad while in single digits) I’ve never had a license checked. Have been checked multiple times when hunting. I get licensed to pay into the system. I follow the rules to preserve the resource.

I like fishing at the beginning and end of passage. It gives you something to do and crew seems to love a fish dinner. But think both offshore and coastal in general you’re either going fishing or you are traveling.

Last edited:
I do do the appropriate licensing but would say in my entire life (started fishing with my dad while in single digits) I’ve never had a license checked. Have been checked multiple times when hunting. I get licensed to pay into the system. I follow the rules to preserve the resource.
That made me think. :ermm:

My hunting license has only been checked once when I was a teenager. My license was in my pocket buried under bubble gum and it took me forever to find it. At one point, the wildlife officer said don't worry about it, he believed me when I said I had my license and the other two people I was with had their license. :D However, I KNEW I had that license and was worried I had lost it, so I kept pulling bubble gum out of my pocket until I found that license. :rofl: I did and we were both happy. :D I am sure the wildlife officer got a good chuckle of the bubble gum and it gave him a good story. :)

Same state, and roughly the same time, my dad was checked for his hunting license. I was up on a ridge and heard them talking but since they did not know I was up there, I did not get checked. :)

I can't remember any other hunting license checks and I have hunted in quite a few states and I don't remember being checked for a fishing license.

Having said that, I know plenty of people who have had fishing licenses checked, both while shore fishing and while on a boat.

Never really thought about it until now. :)

Later,
Dan

It rarely if ever happens unless you take the time and make it happen.
When doing the TSW and Georgian Bay they both are covered with an Ontarion fishing license. The perfect time is staying at/near a decent fishing spot stay an extra day and get the dingy out in morning or evening to explore & fish the surrounding areas. I've also been successful cast a lure right from the boat in AM and PM while at anchorages.

When doing the TSW and Georgian Bay they both are covered with an Ontarion fishing license. The perfect time is staying at/near a decent fishing spot stay an extra day and get the dingy out in morning or evening to explore & fish the surrounding areas. I've also been successful cast a lure right from the boat in AM and PM while at anchorages.

So true....

For those that poo poo the NJ ICW...if passing through in May/June....get the free Salt Water Registry and load up (within limits) on Flounder and nice size eating blues.

Both fish are available right in some marinas or anchorages close to the ICW...you can also find fishing piers/sod banks close by to fish from

Last edited:
I can't offer much about the licenses, but don't worry about trolling too fast.

We've caught mahi, tuna, wahoo and kingfish trolling artificial plugs at 7 to 9 knots. Even pulling rigged ballyhoo, we commonly trolled at 7 knots. And fast trolling for wahoo at 12 to 15 knots is a popular tactic. You need heavy weighted lures or an inline sinker about 6 feet in front of the lure to pull at high speeds.

I was a fisherman for many years before I became a cruiser. Catching fish in transit is always a welcome bonus to me.

I can't offer much about the licenses, but don't worry about trolling too fast.

We've caught mahi, tuna, wahoo and kingfish trolling artificial plugs at 7 to 9 knots. Even pulling rigged ballyhoo, we commonly trolled at 7 knots. And fast trolling for wahoo at 12 to 15 knots is a popular tactic. You need heavy weighted lures or an inline sinker about 6 feet in front of the lure to pull at high speeds.

I was a fisherman for many years before I became a cruiser. Catching fish in transit is always a welcome bonus to me.

I think for awhile (maybe still) the fishermen out in Hawaii experimented with high speed trolling (20+) knots) and were successful.

I am assuming ya gotta be quick on the throttle(s) to keep from spooling yourself... :eek:

My father and I used to fish quite a bit from a small canoe. One of our favorite places was a full of trees, shallow and hard for power boats to get into the good places. We would go fishing at the end of the day and usually catch 20 Bluegills or Bass.

Years later my dad bought a sail boat, and on one trip to The Keys, we did a crew swap. The crew prior to us had brought beef stew, and by the time we got on board that stew was pretty old, especially since it was being kept cool in an ice box. We decided to use some of the meat for bait one evening while at anchor...

Saltwater catfish were under the hull. All we had to do was drop the hook with some of the stew meat on it and pull in a fish. We caught 20-25 fish pretty quickly much faster than we ever did in the canoe. :thumb:

The fun part was seeing how many fish one could catch on the same piece of stew meat. I think the "record" was 5-6. :eek::lol:

We never told the person who made the beef stew how we used the left overs.... :socool::lol:

Later,
Dan

Random thoughts
Wife likes to watch fish. Turn on our underwater lights and throw in frozen peas. Sit back and watch the show. But to catch them at anchor find always having a tub or three of frozen bait helpful. After dinner drink in hand, tunes on in the background chatting with the bride or friends. Pleasant and you get tomorrows dinner. Still food prep scraps work pretty good as well. Particularly chicken. Even just the skin. Raw works better in my experience. Fish like structure so yes marinas are a good place to fish.
Have tried fast trolling. Probably doing it wrong as haven’t had much luck with it. Any changes in technique you might suggest?
Totally agree there’s often fish right under your boat. When in the leewards picked up several barracuda. That season had a series of friends come down for a week or two for vaca and do the circle. So I sat at anchor between their visits. When diving the boat would see one to three barracuda right under the boat nearly every time. Initially disconcerting but they never bothered me. Up north more than once have been trailed by great whites. Lines come in.

..............When outside the 3m limit don’t worry about licensing. When outside the 3m limit don’t worry about licensing................ .

Any issues when you bring your catch into state waters aka the pier?

Totally agree there’s often fish right under your boat. When in the leewards picked up several barracuda. That season had a series of friends come down for a week or two for vaca and do the circle. So I sat at anchor between their visits. When diving the boat would see one to three barracuda right under the boat nearly every time. Initially disconcerting but they never bothered me. Up north more than once have been trailed by great whites. Lines come in.

Was snorkeling once upon a time off the boat while anchored towards the south end Biscayne Bay. I had swam a good distance towards "shore" and eventually found a cluster of decent sized scallops which I left alone. However, during the swim I noticed a ginormous, that is a technical term, barracuda watching me. It was at a distance where I could just see it. Any further away and I think it would have been invisible.

The barracuda was almost as long as I am tall and it was following me which was a big disconcerting. It did not take long for me to figure out why.... :socool:

At the time, I had a nice shiny watch and band which was flashing as I swam. Gee whiz Wally, does is my watch shinning like a fishing lure? :facepalm::lol: Figured it would be best to take off said watch and put it in my pocket. Thankfully, my swimming shorts at pockets. :D Mr or Ms Barracuda soon disappeared, and I assumed/hoped was truly gone, and not just out of my eye sight. :D

Later,
Dan

Was snorkeling once upon a time off the boat while anchored towards the south end Biscayne Bay. I had swam a good distance towards "shore" and eventually found a cluster of decent sized scallops which I left alone. However, during the swim I noticed a ginormous, that is a technical term, barracuda watching me. It was at a distance where I could just see it. Any further away and I think it would have been invisible.

The barracuda was almost as long as I am tall and it was following me which was a big disconcerting. It did not take long for me to figure out why.... :socool:

At the time, I had a nice shiny watch and band which was flashing as I swam. Gee whiz Wally, does is my watch shinning like a fishing lure? :facepalm::lol: Figured it would be best to take off said watch and put it in my pocket. Thankfully, my swimming shorts at pockets. :D Mr or Ms Barracuda soon disappeared, and I assumed/hoped was truly gone, and not just out of my eye sight. :D

Later,
Dan

When traveling or even just on the boat wear no jewelry nor watches. First for the reason in above post. Second want to keep as low a profile as possible so to not encourage being a target for crime.

Any issues when you bring your catch into state waters aka the pier?
Generally when outside the 3m and traveling we’re traveling so don’t reenter state waters for days. Means they’ve been eaten. If leaving and returning to the same place follow state and fed rules.

When traveling or even just on the boat wear no jewelry nor watches. First for the reason in above post. Second want to keep as low a profile as possible so to not encourage being a target for crime.

From a crime perspective this was a cheap a...sed Casio which might have cost $20. We never did go ashore on that trip. One trip we had to stop at overnight at South Beach in Miami and we went looking for a hamburger. What is up with being on a boat and graving a hamburger? :D

This was when South Beach was run down and not a good area. We did not have a problem at all except for finding a place that had hamburgers and fries took forever. Though there was one "lady" standing on the street corner who likely would have traded services for a cheap Casio. :eek::nonono::D

Later,
Dan

I would assume you're talking about saltwater as there isn't much fresh that you can get to the ICW from in Maine. Saltwater fishing regs in Maine are quite simple and all you need for a license is the registry online for a buck. True there's a limit on codfish and zero retention of windowpane, wolf fish and certain size stripers. There are a couple of hook requirements, mostly size and type, circle or J but nothing the average fisherman would find mystifying. There are states that make it quite complicated but Maine isn't one of them.

Agree regs are a PIA. Same applies to bird hunting. For fresh water fishing you often don’t know what you hooked until it’s boated. Occasionally due to exhaustion or swallowing the hook deeply you’d be releasing a dead fish. I’ve taken to going barbless and not taking fish out of the water using forceps instead so kill a very rare fish. I use circle hooks in salt and barbless on steamers. Pretty much stopped using treble.

But if you clip one hook off a treble you wind up with a manageable dehook....

...and just crimp down the barbs

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom