Flat orientation of Starlink.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I believe my Starlink is Gen 2. I saw someone at the dock in Port McNeill with a flat Starlink. I mentioned “I see you did the hack to make it go flat.” He said no, there’s an option for flat orientation within the Starlink app, but you need a recent update. It’s under “Settings” “Starlink” and “Tilt”. Choose “flat orientation “. This is probably already “old news”, but it was “new news” to me.

Jim

IMG_7507.png

Last edited:
yes, thank you for then info. just yesterday i saw same on a boat at the dock. he told me same and said it works great here in south central alaska.

Interesting. Starlink responds to consumers but does not advertise it. When gen2 hacks were done to keep dish flat for boats, they came out with gen3 flat dish. Now since many did not jump on bandwagon to buy gen3 they are keeping customers with the option to keep it flat.
Perhaps it also had something to do with my complaints (probably with many similar complaints) that the throttle down peak usage for the roam dish was going to lose customers as streaming video showed a Microsoft spinning wheel every few minutes. Make the dish flat and no spinning wheel. They gave into the consumer needs with a proven hack that perhaps 10% knew how to do.

My dish is currently flat. I’m at the dock in Port McNeill. I did a few speed test comparisons flat and tilted and the results are up in the air. Sample size is too low.

Jim

Last year I either mounted our dish too close to the fixed rail and it broke something when it hit or the mechanism failed. The dish wouldn't move like it had when first received, it acted like gears were stripped. In Pruth Bay I got the dish flat and got out the saw and cut a hole to disconnect the mechanism. The dish performed better than when it was brand new. The only issue we had was at night streaming in heavy rain we had trouble staying connected. I assumed it was the rain minimizing reception and possibly priority since we only noticed this at night.

I want to caution people on perceiving the benefits of flat vs angled. Sometimes one is going to perform better than the other. The satellites are not stationary nor are they evenly distributed. In fact the satellites are not all the same in abilities. The benefits between the two are going to be very random. I have found that flat works well and angled works well. I have found times when angled worked better than flat but I have not found that flat is always a deficit.

I have never had issues with rain, I live in the PNW so I know rain. I rarely have issues when on low priority but occasionally low priority can cause streaming to down grade. What I can say is that there is not enough consistency to say with certain what is the best method of using Starlink.

Back
Top Bottom