Fresh Start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Okydowky

Vessel Name
Bygone
Vessel Make
40' TollyCraft Sundeck
Ok removed old windlass and all ground tackle. Our bow deck thickness consists of the actual boat deck being 1 1/2” with some type of wood core. On top of this is our Pulpit which is 2 1/2” thick consisting of 2 layers of a mahogany type hard wood.

The old Maxwell shaft was mounted through both layers including a 1” mahogany backing plate making it 5” deck.

What I found was a little rot around the 4 studs going through the deck. And the other holes which were 4” for the winch shaft assembly and a 2” for chain to go down to the locker. The bigger rot issue was between the 2” & 4” hole only in the cored bow hull only not the pulpit.
I was able to pick any rot and did a complete dry out of the good core that was solid. We have since done the repair with 1” puck. These pucks were a plastic air tight honey comb structure in cased between 2 layers of fibre glass. These 2” & 4” pucks were 1” thick so we did only one lift at a time mono pouring epoxy resin allowing it to pour in between the deck layer voids till we got back to gel.

We are trying to mount a Lofrans 1500w X3, it’s only good for a 3” thick deck and getting a shaft is not looking very good at the moment.

1st question?
Any one run into a certain brand/make of Windlass that fits well to a thick deck and or shaft options available?

Right now the Lofrans I purchased lines up pretty good over the old holes and base plate will cover them both cleanly. The new holes however will go through my new hole plugs I epoxied in, but will also cut into some wood deck again exposing raw wood.

2nd question?
Do they make a stainless tube to go through the deck that I can seal so the water off the chain doesn’t touch the wood again and rot?
Or any idea of preventing water penetration?

All screw and bolt holes will eventually leak. When I drive screws, I put some epoxy down the pilot hole first. The epoxy sticks better to the screw than fiberglass and core wood and seals the hole. Bolts need a long lasting sealant under the heads and whatever they are holding. You can epoxy the sides of the holes or buy a ss tube. There are metal companies online that sell stainless cut to size. Here's one: https://www.onlinemetals.com/

All screw and bolt holes will eventually leak. When I drive screws, I put some epoxy down the pilot hole first. The epoxy sticks better to the screw than fiberglass and core wood and seals the hole. Bolts need a long lasting sealant under the heads and whatever they are holding. You can epoxy the sides of the holes or buy a ss tube. There are metal companies online that sell stainless cut to size. Here's one: https://www.onlinemetals.com/

What would be your thoughts of using SCH40, SCH80 PVC pipe for a sleeve? Obviously getting the appropriate ID diameter pipe for specified hole sizing from winch manufacturer.

Or make a Teflon sleeve?

If the deck is that thick I would look at a horizontal shaft windlass. Then you just need long mounting bolts/all thread.

2nd question?
Do they make a stainless tube to go through the deck that I can seal so the water off the chain doesn’t touch the wood again and rot?
Or any idea of preventing water penetration?

We had welder fabricate a stainless steel pipe to direct our anchor rode from the windlass through the deck to the locker.

I have considered a horizontal, but having to off set it to line up chain to the bow roller I wouldn’t cover the old holes. I would rather not have try and match texture and gel at such an obvious place.

When I did my windlass replacement, I looked at the Maxwell RC8 and RC10 before settling on the HRC10 horizontal. I remember the limit being something like 4 inches for the standard version, 6.5 or 7 for the extra deck clearance version. My deck and pulpit is almost 8 inches thick total, so I had to go horizontal with very long mounting studs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom