Fresh Water Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roger Long

Vessel Name
Gypsy Star
Vessel Make
Gulf Star 43
On medical advice, I drink a LOT of water, too much to keep up with bottled stuff. I think (hope) any harmful stuff has leached out of our 1975 FW tank and am getting tired of throwing away our current in line R/V filters. I plan to go to something with better filtration and replaceable elements. We cruise only the U.S east coast so don't have significant concerns about contaminated sources.

Any thoughts, experience, or comments on this unit?

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/rv-water-filter-system

Flow rate on the carbon filters in that size is pretty limited. I've been planning out a system for my boat and settled on using the 10" height big blue housings when I put it together. Likely candidates for filters are the Pentair DGD-2501 as a 1 micron sediment filter followed by the Pentek FloPlus10-BB carbon block filter (0.5 micron) to take out chlorine or anything else undesireable. An EP-BB as the second filter would be cheaper, but not as fine filtration (5 micron), plus it actually flows worse than the finer filter.

Flow rate on the carbon filters in that size is pretty limited.

We've done just fine, including showers, with the Camco and ClearO2 cartridges we've been buying from Walmart, aside from the latter not lasting very long. They are plugged in just after the pump and a tee to the deck washdown fitting. I'm not too concerned about flow. We seldom have more than one faucet going at the same time.

Last edited:
We've done just fine, including showers, with the Camco and ClearO2 cartridges we've been buying from Walmart, aside from the latter not lasting very long. I'm not too concerned about flow. We seldom have more than one faucet going at the same time.

If you're fine with flow being limited to about 1 gpm, then that setup will do just fine. Only thing to watch for is that if your pump is strong enough to push higher flow (than the spec-ed 1 gpm) through the restriction from the carbon filter, it will be somewhat less effective at removing chlorine and other stuff at the higher flow.

Best thing I did on our boat was to put deck hatches on the top of the water tank. Before a trip I drain it, open it up and clean it from the inside thoroughly. Then any marina on city water, the water stays fresh. We don't run a filter, but that would not be a bad idea. With a known clean tank, we drink straight from the tap.

We also travel with several 1gal jugs of drinking water, instead of the little pint bottles. When at a marina with known good water, we just fill them back up. That is our backup water as sometimes marinas have skunky well water and you don't really know it til you detect the stank!! Ask them how good the water is, always say it's great. Then out come the gallon jugs.

I installed one of these housings in my boat:

https://www.filtersfast.com/mobile/...wy1EAQYDyABEgJL4vD_BwE&fsrc=G1F5F&kpid=150234

This isn't the filter cartridge, but it's similar. I'll post a link to the correct one when I go to the boat.

https://www.filtersfast.com/mobile/Pentek-CBC-20BB-water-filters.asp

The housing and filter are quite large, but the .5 micron carbon block filter cartridge does an outstanding job of filtering including removing the chlorine. With the large size cartridge, you get 4+ GPM flow rates. I typically change the cartridge once a year.

Ted

https://www.filtersfast.com/mobile/...wy1EAQYDyABEgJL4vD_BwE&fsrc=G1F5F&kpid=150234

This isn't the filter cartridge, but it's similar. I'll post a link to the correct one when I go to the boat.

The housing and filter are quite large, but the .5 micron carbon block filter cartridge does an outstanding job of filtering including removing the chlorine. With the large size cartridge, you get 4+ GPM flow rates. I typically change the cartridge once a year.

Ted

The stuff I was describing is basically the half height version of those housings. Not as much flow as the full height ones, but easier to fit, and for those of us happy with a 3 gpm water pump with no filters, they should flow plenty (given a slightly more powerful pump to account for pressure drop through the filters).

Why not just filter the drinking water spigot? The shower and toilets dont need special filtrations.
Clean tanks and water lines and a carbon filter on the galley faucet worked well for us.

Our boat came with a Nature's Pure QC 2 tap and filter at the galley sink (https://generalecology.com/products/420600). We drink from our tank using this filter for all of our drinking water, coffee, and lots of tea. It flows well, and one filter lasts us the entire summer of boating where we go full time on board for 3-4 months. I change the filter at the start of each new year of boating, but I am sure it would last longer if we boated longer than the 4 months.

The water tastes and smells good (no smell).
I also sanitize our entire water system each spring (not the water heater), and pre-filter the water using one of those RV in line water filters when filling the water tank. I am also careful about the water quality I will put in the tank. Some places we go have only "cedar water" which comes out of the tap looking like brewed tea. I don't put that into our tank.
We are happy with our setup and the results it has given us.

Ted

Here is a link to the cartridge I use, that's been discontinued. :banghead:

https://www.discountfilterstore.com...ced-water-products-whole-house-carbon-filter/

It's a 5 micron carbon block filter with a 7 GPM flow rate and supposed to be good for 30,000 gallons or 3 months. Doubt I run 3,000 gallons through it in a year.

Ted

Flow rate on the carbon filters in that size is pretty limited. I've been planning out a system for my boat and settled on using the 10" height big blue housings when I put it together. Likely candidates for filters are the Pentair DGD-2501 as a 1 micron sediment filter followed by the Pentek FloPlus10-BB carbon block filter (0.5 micron) to take out chlorine or anything else undesireable. An EP-BB as the second filter would be cheaper, but not as fine filtration (5 micron), plus it actually flows worse than the finer filter.

Thanks for this! I have been researching filters and housings for a few months off and on. I have a single Racor one aboard with a decent filter, but have wanted to replace it with dual filters and this exact sort of size/microns.

I have also been searching for a dual element filter housing that is compact as possible. The 10" housings are quite large, and I'd like to have a setup that takes the least amount of space. I saw a couple that had a molded connection between the two, which I could do on my own with piping, but always like something built to purpose if I can find it.

I have a single filter in-line after my Marco pump, and plan on adding a second. In addition, I filter all the water going in with a hose filter, and most of my water comes from a watermaker as I'm out for longer stretches.

IMG_9681.jpg

I added an Acuva Eco NX-Silver UV (https://acuvastore.com/products/eco-nx-with-smart-faucet) water tap a few months ago after looking at it for a year or so, and am extremely happy with it. It has a pre-filter before the actual UV-LED piece, and that part runs off of 12V DC. It has a nice dedicated faucet with an indicator light that shows you when things are good, and if there are faults or maintenance needs. It was relatively easy to install the under-counter pieces - the worst part was drilling the hole for the faucet.

Since install, I have noticed a difference in the water taste, and am very glad I did it.

On a related note:

Since the filters we are using now have garden hose connections, I inserted one of these and it has worked great. I filled the tank, emptied it to verify the capacity and we haven't run out of water unexpectedly since. You can also use it to quickly figure out how much a shower or dish washing uses.

https://www.orbitonline.com/product/hose-water-flow-meter/

Why not just filter the drinking water spigot? The shower and toilets dont need special filtrations.

Makes good sense. However, we already have garden hose fittings just after the pump for inserting the cartridge filters. I need to get the boat up and running after we return to it without a big plumbing project. All the under sink stuff is old copper and hard to reach.

Coincidentally, just this morning I installed a Pentair Big Blue filter housing with a FloPlus 10-BB carbon block filter. Works just fine. No drop-off in volume and pressure. I have no need to filter the water to a finer level for general use. The water tastes good. But, we do have a Seagull IV galley sink spigot that filters to a higher level that we use for coffee and ice-making.
20201227_174001.jpeg

4 years on and still no filtration and haven't died once.

Even the rain water only gets a run through a 100 micron fish tank filter sock - a chux dishcloth and then into water tanks for drinking.

Even the rain water only gets a run through a 100 micron fish tank filter sock - a chux dishcloth and then into water tanks for drinking.

I've consumed my unfiltered tank water and been fine. And we regularly use it for ice, coffee, and cooking. But I'm sure good filtration will make it taste better.

I don't know what filters cost Down Under, but I've always felt I was worth a $60 filter cartridge per year. All my water comes from municipal water sources. This includes enough chlorine to kill anything in the water. The chlorine keeps the water tanks sanitized. Having a whole boat filter that removes the chlorine taste and odor is wonderful.

Certainly nothing wrong with catching rain water for your drinking supply if the surfaces are clean enough and the particulates in the air aren't to toxic. :rolleyes:

Ted

On medical advice, I drink a LOT of water, too much to keep up with bottled stuff. I think (hope) any harmful stuff has leached out of our 1975 FW tank and am getting tired of throwing away our current in line R/V filters. I plan to go to something with better filtration and replaceable elements. We cruise only the U.S east coast so don't have significant concerns about contaminated sources.

I installed a similar filter on my boat. We rarely drank water from the tank, but did use filtered water for cooking.
At our home we have a 3 filter system that we use for all of our drinking water and cooking, coffee, etc.
In both cases I also installed a stand alone spigot like the one shown in a previous post.

I have been doing lots of looking at filtration as well..... but I am also looking at UV light water sterilization systems to be put in line after mechanical filtration.... anyone looking at that?

After the pump, 10 micron Nominal sediment pre-filter; then .35 mic or 1.0 mic Absolute filter for removal of bad stuff. 10 inch Single filter housings are adequate will give plenty of run time. Filter cartridges and housings are very reasonable in price. If desired, follow up with a 5 mic charcoal block filter to eliminate chlorine/taste/odor, but not necessary.

For boats that sit for awhile and use variable sources for water, bugs are the big risk; so something smaller than 3 - 5 micron is required. City treatment will not typically catch something like iron bacteria, or similar armored bacteria, so the small, Absolute micron noted above is 99.999% effective. Nominal sub-micron cartridges are less expensive and will likely do the same job. "When they are dirty, they are working!"

Water filtration

If you're looking for the best of the best fresh water filter, go with Seagull. Not cheap, to be sure, but, they removed most anything and everything (other than salt) from your water. We've been using 'em on our boats for over 35 years and have never been disappointed. We change the filter element once a year.

What REALLY got our attention (1984) was taking our 32-foot ketch into Wardrick Wells in the Bahamas. This was before everybody had a watermaker, and we were right down near the bottom of our water tank so we jerry-jugged water from the wells in the harbor back to the boat and filled the tank. Then we began running the water and discovered that it had a serious odor to it, a strong taste of tannin from the roots of the casuarina trees there, and it was the color of bourbon. And I don't mean light-colored bourbon.

But we diverted the water through our Seagull filter and found that it removed all the brown color, all the taste of tannin, and all the odor. If the Seagull can bring water like that up to snuff, just think what it can do to tank water.

But as I like to remind: your mileage may vary.

No connection with Seagull other than as a longtime highly satisfied customer.

Milt Baker, Nordhavn 47 Bluewater

https://www.amazon.com/Seagull-X-1F-Drinking-Water-Purifier/dp/B0002BRPMS

I have been doing lots of looking at filtration as well..... but I am also looking at UV light water sterilization systems to be put in line after mechanical filtration.... anyone looking at that?

The UV bulbs last about one year and cost around $100.

If you're looking for the best of the best fresh water filter, go with Seagull. Not cheap, to be sure, but, they removed most anything and everything (other than salt) from your water. We've been using 'em on our boats for over 35 years and have never been disappointed. We change the filter element once a year.

What REALLY got our attention (1984) was taking our 32-foot ketch into Wardrick Wells in the Bahamas. This was before everybody had a watermaker, and we were right down near the bottom of our water tank so we jerry-jugged water from the wells in the harbor back to the boat and filled the tank. Then we began running the water and discovered that it had a serious odor to it, a strong taste of tannin from the roots of the casuarina trees there, and it was the color of bourbon. And I don't mean light-colored bourbon.

But we diverted the water through our Seagull filter and found that it removed all the brown color, all the taste of tannin, and all the odor. If the Seagull can bring water like that up to snuff, just think what it can do to tank water.

https://www.amazon.com/Seagull-X-1F-Drinking-Water-Purifier/dp/B0002BRPMS

Makes us thankful that our boat came with a Seagull IV. Water tastes great. No need for bottled water, ever.

We wanted and now have filtered drinking water. Here is a link to youtube and some photos of how it looks now.

I recently put in the corian counter and undermount sink and finally got around to putting a little varnish on the trim I made.

The valves let us fill the water tanks from inside the boat. We are connected to shore water while at the dock (safety precautions include auto shut off of the water and an easy ball valve to turn the water on and off outside). This allows us to flush the tanks every time we connect back up to water at the dock after a trip.

There is plenty of room for the 3 filter system behind where the oven used to be. It isn't super easy to access but we don't have to do it often and we like having the extra space under the sink.

We also have an RV type filter outside for the whole boat. We felt like we would like our drinking water to be more filtered.

https://youtu.be/M78spnaxMAA

Attachments

• 20210104_125944.jpg
    20210104_125944.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210104_130045.jpg
    20210104_130045.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210104_130022.jpg
    20210104_130022.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210104_130027.jpg
    20210104_130027.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 20210104_130014.jpg
    20210104_130014.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 44

I have been considering purchasing a small water distiller (4-6 Liter) to run off shore power or an inverter while under power to provide clean water from my boats water tanks. I filter the input water and treat the water in the tanks currently. I am planning on using it on the Great Loop so that I do not have to store bottled water. They are inexpensive and the purity of the water should not be a concern regardless if where I fill my water tanks.

Yes, I installed an Acuva system which is a DC powered UV-LED unit and dedicated faucet at the sink. I'm working on a whole write up about that + filters + pumps and a bidet thrown in for good measure. I've known a few other people who have the Acuva system, and I can say after about 3 months of it, that it is worth it if you want UV protection.

IMG_9680.jpg

Pic is of the countertop faucet and indicator light. I went with the NX Silver with the countertop piece, but you can get it without that as well: https://acuvastore.com/products/eco-nx-with-smart-faucet

We use a Seagull filter run into the galley sink. All our water is run through the boat water tanks, softened and filtered as well by a whole house filter before putting aboard. No taste or smell, Seagull also removes contaminants the whole house does not. Every glass is fresh, I fill empty plastic water bottles as well as a pitcher and put them in the refrigerator. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom