fresh water pump problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keith c

Vessel Name
Princess M
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 34
Spent 3 days on the boat and noticed it takes the fresh water pump 30-40 sec. to repressure the system.I have owned the boat for 5 years and the pump was always taking no more than 3-5 sec to repressure. Pump also making a different sound now. I have looked at all the pex tubing and fittings that I can see and bilge areas and do not see any water. Also after system has pressured up there is no intermittent repressuring. Need MS brain trust help.

When was the last time the pump head was rebuilt? Gaskets, seals, diaphragm, etc.

Also, does the system have an accumulator tank and if so, is it pressurized and does it hold pressure?

Last edited:
The Jabsco accumulator in my 34 Pilot has been giving us problems I just found out. We have noticed the pump pulsing more and slightly louder. We also hear the pump cycle 1 second once or twice a day. I checked all water per fittings for a slight leak and found nothing. I ran my hand around the outside of the accumulator at the split line and it was wet. The diaphragm has failed and appears to be original. I ordered a new accumulator tank from West Marine which should be delivered tomorrow. I'm sure this was the problem with mine. I believe this has been an issue for a while. But never addressed it.

I think the pump is original from 2006. Also the pump is a jabsco 8400092.I do not see an accumulator in the system. The pump does work except for the long repressuring and strange noise. Something I did not mention, we did have a rather cold spell prior to my return to the boat. Low temp around 20. I do not think I had a freezing problem since I drained all the piping, ran my heat at 65 and tested the water after the cold spell. River water temp around 50.

Check the elbow connecting to the water heater. Mile had come loose and there was just a bit of water but once we reconnected pump worked fine

Back
Top Bottom