Fuel Leak Solved!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 38'
I've had a small but nagging fuel leak on the Port Perkins for a long time. It's not much, and would be contained in the pan under the engine, just enough to wipe up once in awhile. I have spent a fair amount of time searching for the source but couldn't quite pinpoint it. Over the weekend I added some dye I picked up at Napa to the Racor (as suggested here) and ran the engine for about 10 minutes. Using a flashlight with blacklight bulb (from Amazon) I found the leak in about 10 seconds. One of the fuel supply lines to the #3 injector had a small drip. It was hard to see because the fuel lines were in the way, but with the lights out and using the black light was plain as day. It may have been going on since I had the injectors rebuilt. I backed off the nut a ways and re-tightened, no more leak. For once, a problem solved much easier than I had expected.

Yes, the dye is nice for finding leaks like that. Congrats.

And it makes it through the secondary filter ok. :thumb:

Great to hear that it was an easy fix. Those blacklights and dye are worth the money, eh?

I've had a small but nagging fuel leak on the Port Perkins for a long time. It's not much, and would be contained in the pan under the engine, just enough to wipe up once in awhile. I have spent a fair amount of time searching for the source but couldn't quite pinpoint it. Over the weekend I added some dye I picked up at Napa to the Racor (as suggested here) and ran the engine for about 10 minutes. Using a flashlight with blacklight bulb (from Amazon) I found the leak in about 10 seconds. One of the fuel supply lines to the #3 injector had a small drip. It was hard to see because the fuel lines were in the way, but with the lights out and using the black light was plain as day. It may have been going on since I had the injectors rebuilt. I backed off the nut a ways and re-tightened, no more leak. For once, a problem solved much easier than I had expected.

A good result, it’s the first time I’ve heard of the dye and black light solution.

Some years back I toured the John Deere Dubuque Works, where they make all JD engines less than 12 liters. Every completed engine goes into a test booth, gets connected to fuel and coolant hoses, and run through a cycle. At some point the tech turned the lights out in the booth and used a black light to scrutinize the running engine. They use different color dyes so they know immediately what it is if anything leaks. A really amazing experience, anyone who thinks that American industrial know-how is a thing of the past should take that tour. Glad you found your leak!
Regards,
Scott

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom