Fuel Leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Seas The Day
Vessel Make
2007 Mainship 400
The bottom of my port side fuel tank has developed a very slow leak around one of the supports. Guessing the tank will have to be replaced uless you have better advice. Has anyoneh ad this happen on their MS 40 and can you recommend a repair service in Eastern NC?

There is not an easy way out. You need to remove the tank and replace it.

Well, not really surprised. Thanks for the confirmation.

There are multiple threads on this topic. There have been some that have coated the inside of the tanks. Some have had good success.. I don’t know but you might look at the threads. Otherwise replacing the tank is the only option.

Are you able to see area of leak? In a welded seam or in the sheet metal? Assuming tank is alum. If leaking in a weld you may me able to stop the leak temporarily by taping with a hammer then use a sealer to solve the leak. If you cannot see leak area most mechanics will demand tank removal/replace , $20000 etc

Since it’s a fairly new boat it seems strange for the tank to have failed. Can you see the leak? Is it a weld? If it is find the exact spot in the weld, get a center punch and stick it right in the hole and smack it with a hammer. That will seal the hole. Will only work on a weld not the tank itself.

Last edited:
https://floridamarinetanks.com/ make tanks for many US manufacturers and custom as well. Look on your tank for a label tag.

People have cut off 1/2" of the bottom nd welded on a new bottom. IMO removing and replacing the tank is where the big expense is so a new tank was my decision.

Many makers do a lousy job mounting tanks on a rubber pad that does not allow air flow.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom