fuel polisher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulga

Guru
Vessel Name
DD
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Sundeck 40'
last time a mechanic found some water in one spin-on filter bowl. i'm considering to remove the water and other gunks from the fuel tanks. the tanks are completely sealed in heatshields, I didn't find an access port. is it possible to remove the gauge measure and insert a syringe tube via the hole to the bottom to pump the water out?

Really the only way to clean a tank is to open each section up and spray fuel to break up the crap and a high speed pump to filter the fuel. If you are just getting a bit of water then keep changing the Racors and drain them. Much cheaper and easier than going through all the work of polishing it. Then find out how the water is getting into the tank and fix that. First check the O ring on the filler cap, actually just put a new O ring on since it is so cheap. It could be coming in with the fuel from the fuel dock. Check with them and see if they are charging the filters on the pump.

Using a good fuel conditioner will kill the organisms that make the gunk in the tank. It will also help a Racor remove water from the fuel.
It's possible to clean fuel tanks just by circulating the fuel thru filters and adding a strong dose of conditioner.

last time a mechanic found some water in one spin-on filter bowl. i'm considering to remove the water and other gunks from the fuel tanks. the tanks are completely sealed in heatshields, I didn't find an access port. is it possible to remove the gauge measure and insert a syringe tube via the hole to the bottom to pump the water out?

I did that once on my old 34 Mainship. I had water in one tank. I removed the dip tube since it was near the aft corner of the contaminated tank then I moved some things in the boat to make it list so the water would settle on the corner
Then I made a rig with an outboard engine squeeze ball and guided to the corner. Pumped out about a quart of water untill I was getting solid diesel.
I got all the water out that way

I didn't find a dip tube. Is it possible to reach the bottom from the fuel fill?

Attachments

• IMG20231105112224.jpg
    IMG20231105112224.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG20231105112345.jpg
    IMG20231105112345.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 25

=====================================

s it possible to remove the gauge measure and insert a syringe tube via the hole to the bottom to pump the water out?

That is how I do it in mine. Not a syringe.A pump

Purchased a fuel 12 volts electric pump.
a copper tube long enough to reach the tank, the copper tube hooks to a fuel hose, the hose fuel to an in line little filter (about 20 microns).
from the fuel filter, another piece of fuel tube,
connects to electric pump,
another length of fuel line, this one longer, either goes back into the tank or to an external container if you want to remove all fuel.

All parts purchased in Auto Parts shop

Do not ask for "Transfer fuel pumps" they are more expensive, just an external regular about $ 40 will the job

PS
use a permanent black marker to mark the position of the gauge screws, to insure the gauge goes back in the exact same position.
Removing the screws, make sure they do not roll to the side and disappear into the black hole.

Plenty paper towels/rugs

Thanks. Sounds creative. I'll add some biocide and additives, change the filters, and see how it goes. I'll postphone the polishing to later.

Is the o ring in good condition? I would replace the orings first. I remember the cap dia measures 1.75in. is there an sku number for the oring?

Paula. Tell us more about your tanks. Do they have inspection ports? Always good practice to replace the “O” rings on the filler caps each year.

If you have inspection ports, and your tankage is <50% full, transfer the fuel from one side to the other through the fuel filter and open the inspection port on the empty tank. Inspect. It may be a mucky job but wipe down the sides with paper towels (not oil absorbent pads). Inspect towels to ensure no paper is left behind. Check for water.

I have done this.mit is time consuming and tedious but not as bad as it sounds.

Jim

I plan to install polishing set ups on both of my storage tanks. With the same pumps I will be able to pump clean fuel to a day tank. I can control any list by selecting which wing tank I pump from into the day tank. I will feel better about the fuel condition and the tank condition by being able to polish the fuel on board.

I plan to install polishing set ups on both of my storage tanks. With the same pumps I will be able to pump clean fuel to a day tank. I can control any list by selecting which wing tank I pump from into the day tank. I will feel better about the fuel condition and the tank condition by being able to polish the fuel on board.

From other ppl's replies, I have planned to just change the racor filters frequently and rely on them to remove water and impurities.

It would be interesting though to see what polishing set you installed and get running.

Each tank has a measure guage in the bilge near the forward bulkhead. Tanks are completely behind insulation panels. The surveyor also confirmed there are no inspection ports.

Paula. Tell us more about your tanks. Do they have inspection ports? Always good practice to replace the “O” rings on the filler caps each year.

If you have inspection ports, and your tankage is <50% full, transfer the fuel from one side to the other through the fuel filter and open the inspection port on the empty tank. Inspect. It may be a mucky job but wipe down the sides with paper towels (not oil absorbent pads). Inspect towels to ensure no paper is left behind. Check for water.

I have done this.mit is time consuming and tedious but not as bad as it sounds.

Jim

From other ppl's replies, I have planned to just change the racor filters frequently and rely on them to remove water and impurities.

It would be interesting though to see what polishing set you installed and get running.
Your approach would certainly be adequate to protect the engine(s). I am hoping to remove more contaminants from the tanks and provide some protection for them. I will be building my own systems and have only performed a cursory investigation into pumps at this point.

Your approach would certainly be adequate to protect the engine(s). I am hoping to remove more contaminants from the tanks and provide some protection for them. I will be building my own systems and have only performed a cursory investigation into pumps at this point.

Understood the cause. I may get back to polishing after addressing other more immediate concerns

Just make sure that whatever pump you get is rated for continuous duty and pushes enough PSI and GPM to effectively use the filter element(s) you choose.

The article I posted above goes over much of this and has some diagrams of systems - although they are pretty tough to see.

Link Captn Wil's Fuel Polishing System: Trawlers & Trawlering How To

The filter he uses - the F1 from Gulf Coast Filters - is very large, with a high-volume water separator, and uses rolls of Bounty paper towels for elements. They are also quite expensive - about $600 - but if you have the space, you can add a very nice polishing setup to an existing system.

Fuel Tank access

Took a little time, but I got it cleaned out.

Attachments

• 68279176294__DD0CCDF6-0AC6-4144-8B4A-D790128DF772.jpg
    68279176294__DD0CCDF6-0AC6-4144-8B4A-D790128DF772.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 28
Back
Top Bottom