GB 36 teak decks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nakika_guru

Nearly all GB 36 have teak decks. The teak decks are likely held in place by screws which can leak. What can you do, as a prospective buyer to prepare yourself for this ? Do you just assume there will be a multi-tens of thousands repair in your future ? Would proud screws, missing bungs, and poor caulking between the boards be a sign of potential disaster in the future ?
Thanks,
Rob

Oh, yes. If the decks are screwed down they will eventually leak. Some of the newer boats have glued down teak decks but the older ones are screwed.

Teak decks can leak in various places:
- missing or loose-fitting bungs
- failing caulk
- around the edges (skylights, corners, etc.)

If there are leaks, the ease or even the possibility of repair depends of how thick or thin the deck is. If the deck has been repeatedly sanded or otherwise abused it might be too thin to hold many of the bungs and caulking. This is one thing to check for.

Even if screw-heads are showing close to the surface or if the notch for the seam caulk is vanishing, the deck can be repaired, assuming it is thick enough (GB decks tend to be), but it is a lot more work.

A test of entry points for leaks is to wet the decks with a hose, let it dry, and see if many bungs and seams remain wet after the rest has dried.

Last edited:
The hidden and very costly thing is when water starts to get into the core around the hundreds of screws and rots the core. It can be very difficult to diagnose since the teak can give moisture meters wrong readings about the core. Usually if the core is rotten you will have to cut the fiberglass deck out and remove the rotten core and replace the glass deck and refinish it. The thin teak and missing bungs may or may not be an indicator of the core getting wet.

On my previous boat GB36 1971 the teak deck did not leak. The older boats had the teak strips bedded on glue of some kind and they were held in place until set/dry by nails. The underside of the plywood deck was dry and showed no signs of wet. The only vulnerable area is where thru deck fittings are attached.

The newer boats the teak was laid dry over sub surface and screwed. Those are the ones that leak in time when the caulk separates from the teak.
Still bothers me how teak decks are stereotyped, if one leaks they all leak.

What you describe is neither "potential" nor "in the future, it`s now. A GB Europa with overhangs along the sides and cockpit aft may be partly protected, it`s why many new boats have painted fiberglass on the unprotected fwd bow areas and teak aft where it has some protection. It`s how I redid/had done my IG, but it still cost a small fortune, and my core was foam so not rotted. Much cheaper if you do the lot in painted fiberglass, still not cheap. Factor it into what you pay for the boat.

All the info above info is correct. However The decks can be maintained as long as there is sufficient wood left. You will probably have a leak or two. I remove any bung with a stain around it. Remove the screw, drill out the hole to 3/8, and fill with thickened epoxy. No horror show yet. If things get out of hand I will remove the teak and glass over. These boats are solid well made boats. Unless a previous owner has bastardized the boat they are worth the effort’s and cost of maintaining them IMO. You can throw a lot of money at an old GB and still not approach the coast of a new one. Find one that has been loved and you won’t regret it. Even a 40 year old boat like ours is a lot of boat for the money.

<<Nearly all GB 36 have teak decks.>> I have never had a GB 36, but, we have a GB 32 currently, and have had a GB 42 and 2 different GB 46's in the past, all fiberglass boats with teak decks, and have never experienced a leaky deck. All in the PNW where we get a lot of rain. About 13 or 14 years ownership combined. YMMV.
Good luck!
Regards,
Scott

Back
Top Bottom