Gen set exhaust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SIBERNUT

Guru
I see many sportfish-type boats that have their gen exhaust out thru an engine exhaust port, plumbed in ahead. I really don't want another thru hull if I can avoid it. I'll be using a water lift muffler.
Input requested pls.

Part 2
If I do another thru hull, any reason it has to be bronze, etc,? Had a bad experience on another boat and made the gen exhaust run out of sched 40. No problem, years use.

Personally, I think sharing discharges like many sport fishes do is a terrible idea. Some generator manufacturers won't warranty an install like that either. To me, it's inviting excess backpressure unless the exhaust ports are high enough to never be submerged, plus you don't get a good view of what's discharging and what's not.

No reason the exhaust discharge has to be metal. The one downside of plastic is that if you ever have an impeller failure and the high exhaust temp shutdown isn't sensitive enough, the plastic parts of the exhaust may start melting before it shuts down (this includes fiberglass mufflers)

Tks. On a second search, I found a thread that flogged this to death.
I'm good!

I wouldn’t do it. One more hole isn’t that big a deal, at least not to me.

In addition, the larger diameter main exhaust will act as a megaphone for the gen exhaust noise plumbed upstream from the exit and amplify gen exhaust noise when the main(s) are not running
:socool:

Depending on where it's plumbed into the main exhaust, exhaust gas can back up thru the the main engine when it's not running. Same for the main exhaust, unless it's blocked by a water muffler or some other method.
When I was a fisherman, a guy in an old boat killed himself running a generator plumbed into the main exhaust. He was anchored for a couple days when everyone else was fishing. Someone eventually checked, generator still running. The exhaust in the boat nearly killed the guy checking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom