General government policies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soin2la

Guru
The Canada Customs thread was, to no ones surprise, closed.

This caught my eye and I believe it requires clarification;
“General discussions, statements, images and links that are political in nature or that reference general government policies, weaponry, gun rights and religion are not allowed in ANY areas of the forum.”

General government policies are regularly discussed in relation to all manner of the marine world. Is this violation overlooked, or obsolete?

Hard to avoid discussions like these when government policies are so entrenched in our every day lives.

I think this is a good catch, and should be revised. There are lots of gove policies that directly relate to boating. Just consider all the discussions about registration requirements, licensing, use taxes, property taxes, visiting boat exemptions, fishing regulations, prohibited areas, etc, etc. All are legitimate discussions.

Perhaps it should say "general government policies unrelated to boating". I think that's how it's currently being enforced. Or maybe it's fine left as is with moderator discretion applied, like it is with all of these policies....

From the Community Rules:

General discussions, statements, images and links that are political in nature or that reference general government policies, weaponry, gun rights and religion are not allowed in ANY areas of the forum. Discussions about current or pending legislation or regulations, weapons and religion that directly pertain to Boating are acceptable but will be closed or removed if they wander off topic or become disruptive.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=rules

There's never been an issue with government regulation's as long as it is the regulation being discussed.

If it's why the regulation was implemented...as long as it was related to boating and not government philosophy or a "personal issue of a politician" again it was fair game.

But just me discussing what is/isn't within TF policy or moderator discretion is probably prohibited so I will just leave it as the same as any topic....everyone will not always agree on everything.

Looks like Larry just beat me to it.... :D

As the OP on the Canada customs line the question posed was purely to see if other's had experienced this type of questioning. It is well known that border crossing information is shared between nations. It is likely that information beyond just border crossings is shared especially with nations as closely tied as the US and Canada. For example anyone conviced of a fellony can not enter Canada. Ignorance of the laws of the country you're entering is not a viable defense for violating those laws and any question asked by a government official, anywhere in the world, should be answered truthfully. That said having travelled internationally for business very frequently plus having lived abroad (Europe), the line of questioning was sufficiently out of the ordinary to trigger my question. My extensive experience (litterally hundreds of border crossings around the globe) is that questioning has been limited to what was being brought in, the purpose of the visit, nature of my business, and prior countries visited, and sometimes prior trips. Never had I ever been asked about what I owned at home by any customs agent anywhere in the world.

... My extensive experience (litterally hundreds of border crossings around the globe) is that questioning has been limited to what was being brought in, the purpose of the visit, nature of my business, and prior countries visited, and sometimes prior trips. Never had I ever been asked about what I owned at home by any customs agent anywhere in the world.

Can't remember if I said this in the closed thread, but I was questioned in Dublin while waiting in line to check baggage which was kinda odd, but hey, were in line doing nothing, so whatever. :lol: We were LEAVING Ireland, this was an Irish official, and they had not idea where we were going. Eventually, we went through the TWO security screenings, including US Border Patrol. For those who don't know, Dublin is one of the few airports in the world where you can go through US border control while outside of the US. Once back in the US, you are good to go.:thumb:

Anywho, I was asked by the Irish official, who was a nice and polite lady, the name of my manager. Obviously, they don't know the name of my manager so it was a question to get my reaction. :D I surprised her with a question, which manager? I have two. :rofl: I don't think she expected that answer. :) The funny thing was that it took a moment to remember one of the manager's name. I just completely forgot the name. :eek::facepalm::lol:

Later,
Dan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom