Generator Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmullins

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
VroOom! VroOom!
Vessel Make
2000 Formula 41 PC
I have a Phasor LP1 generator that has stopped making power. The diesel engine runs fine. So far I have checked the fuse, changed the AC circuit breaker and changed the relay. Any other basic checks I can to before calling a mechanic?

Inspect wiring and connectors of obvious damage or debris.
If possible clean out as necessary.

Is it the 3.5kw generator? If it is, on the right/front side of the generator there will be a black round ish cover. Under the black cover there will be a capacitor that gets things happening. Common failure on the phasor and next gen generators. When they fail, you get no 120vac output.

Is it the 3.5kw generator? If it is, on the right/front side of the generator there will be a black round ish cover. Under the black cover there will be a capacitor that gets things happening. Common failure on the phasor and next gen generators. When they fail, you get no 120vac output.

I'll check tomorrow. Thanks!

I'll check tomorrow. Thanks!

Second the capacitor, have the same genset.

It’s a great little unit, except for that capacitor, and it’s nasty habit of shrederrating the raw water impeller and letting you know by melting the water hose that injects water into the exhaust, filling the cabin with smoke :)

Alan & Darina on Sea Moose
You Tube: “The adventures of Yorksie and Me”

Is this the capacitor?

Attachments

• IMG_5036.jpg
    IMG_5036.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 48
Yes. The silver can shaped item, 40 microfarad. But that one looks like it goes (obviously an add on) to a fan motor. Trace the wires to be certain! I'm guessing the PO moved it outside of the casing because of poor accessibility.
Really bad shock hazard to leave those uncovered terminals on top of the capacitor like he did. Slide unused 1/4" female insulated quick connect terminals (just like the blue ones present) over the empty terminals as a quick fix.

Last edited:
It was the capacitor. Thanks for the help guys!

Solid thumbs up [emoji1360] for the response guys! Another win for Trawler Forum!

Awesome!

And thanks for posting the result. May help someone else at a later point.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom