genset problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kpinnn

Vessel Name
Periwinkle
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
I have a 5 KW westerbeke genset that stopped producing power last spring. The diesel runs fine. I see smoke when run. I do not smell or see burnt wires nor do I find a short to ground when testing the rotor and windings. I was told it did not smoke when the switch is turned off. Checked switch function by continuity and see nothing to indicate a problem. I could not check the diodes or capacitors without removing the back end, not an easy job. Marina wants to cut hole in floor. I now have a better trouble shooting guide and my plan is to go back and recheck as much as possible. My question is why doesn't it produce smoke when the switch is off. Is there not exciter voltage when the switch is of. What does that switch turn off? I believe they are talking about the double breaker on the genset control itself. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Ken

Agree with Iggy. Next step is to get tech info on your gen set from the Westerbeke site. If your machine is 12 Vdc excited from the starting battery, then the “on” switch on the control panel likely energizes the exciter circuit. But some models have transformers and rectifiers to produce the exciter dc voltage internal to the gen set. In that case, the “on “ switch may only apply to the 12v control circuit for the Diesel engine. The breaker is likely only for AC output. Hope this helps.

I have a 5 KW westerbeke genset that stopped producing power last spring. The diesel runs fine. I see smoke when run. I do not smell or see burnt wires nor do I find a short to ground when testing the rotor and windings. I was told it did not smoke when the switch is turned off. Checked switch function by continuity and see nothing to indicate a problem. I could not check the diodes or capacitors without removing the back end, not an easy job. Marina wants to cut hole in floor. I now have a better trouble shooting guide and my plan is to go back and recheck as much as possible. My question is why doesn't it produce smoke when the switch is off. Is there not exciter voltage when the switch is of. What does that switch turn off? I believe they are talking about the double breaker on the genset control itself. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Ken

What “switch” are we talking about? Is it the output AC breaker? Can you hear the engine load down as well as smoke when you turn the switch on?

If it’s the AC breaker we are talking about then it seems you have a short somewhere on the load side of the breaker.

Is there good AC on the generator side of the breaker (assuming we are talking about the breaker) when the breaker is Off?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom