Grand Banks 32

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woody5

Veteran Member
I’m recently retired and looking to do some extended cruising of the East Coast and Great Lakes. I like the small trawlers like Albin 25, 27 and Grand Banks 32. I see that the 1980s Grand Banks are often Repowered with larger 200hp diesels. With extended travel in mind won’t this big engine become unnecessarily more expensive to operate? Owners claim these boats are in great shape but what is a fair ballpark price for such an old boat even if a survey is delivered immaculate. Is a well maintained glass Grand Banks a better investment than most other boats?

Too many variables to give a good answer. Is a glass GB 32 a good boat, yes. Can it do the ICW and great lakes, yes. Will it satisfy your needs, no one knows. As a newbie, there are far more issues to consider than whether a repower to 200hp is going to be a problem. Are you going to live full time on the boat, have a spouse, friends visiting along the way, working at all from the boat, like to DIY maintenance, boating experience and capabilities? Many issues will determine size and style vessel not which the least is $$$ For right price a GB32 might be a good investment, a starter boat that will let you know what you really need. It may satisfy everything right off, but that is highly unlikely. You can always sell if it does not work out.

Somehow I struggle with "investment" and "boat" in the same sentance......As the saying goes, the best way to make a small fortune in boats is start with a large fortune and know when to stop.

That said, GBs are sort of top-of-heap for their class of boats. Many imitations out there, but few equals. So they have a modicum of brand cachet. I see your 'city' listed as "Boca." If this is one of the Florida-based Boca XXX, you may want to consider maintenance effort and expense. GBs and their imitators have a lot of exterior woodwork that can get away from you quickly in the Florida climate.

While a 200hp engine would not be my choice, I would not shy away from an otherwise strong boat because if it.

I wish I could help on price. I would think a good condition boat in this size range would be in the $60k-$75k range, but that is a WAG. I could be way off.

If you're open to alternatives, consider a Rosborough 265 (I prefer the OB versions). Also like the Acadia/Atlas 25, though that's a bit smaller. The Albin 31 Tournement Express, while a sportfisher with a larger Yanmar, is also an interesting twist; but at over $100k.

Good luck -

Peter

Those repowers with 200 hp engines that the OP mentions, are probably no bigger displacement than the ones they replace, just a turbocharger for more power. The Cummins 6BT vs the Lehman 135 come to mind.

With nearly the same displacement, the Cummins will be just as efficient as the Lehman at moderate power loadings.

David

1980s GBs only get repowered with larger engines because later GBs came with the larger hp engines and seem to please their owners.
As for any boat as an investment, the GBs are as good there as any other brand, just pegged a little higher on the original cost and on resale. For example, when shopping in 1994 I looked a some GBs. A decent 42 from the 80s was fairly priced then at about 1.3 x what I paid for my C&L 44. In the present decade, I have a few friends in 70s or 80sGB 42s, and they either paid or have had a surveyor valuation done recently, putting their GBs at around the same 1.3x the present valuation of my boat, so I have neither made nor lost in comparison to them.
If you value the loss due to inflation, by starting lower, I have lost less than those with GBs.

Somehow I struggle with "investment" and "boat" in the same sentance......As the saying goes, the best way to make a small fortune in boats is start with a large fortune and know when to stop.

Peter

I guess what I was trying to say is a GB32 in avg condition should hold its value and be easier to sell than an off brand (please, not insulting any off brands) if the newbie decided it was not the boat he really wants to do his cruising. "Investment" probably is a poor choice of wording when talking boats LOL. That said, I bought a woody 1970 45ft Newport Trawler in 1978 for $75k and sold it in 1983 for $150k. Just was great timing when trawlers became hot commodities. I wouldn't count on that as a general rule LOL!:socool:

Once a trawler gets to be over 40 years old condition is everything. Even more important than name brand. All Taiwan Trawlers of a certain age group will price out pretty near the same. The one huge price differential is when a trawler is wood construction, somewhat over 50 years ago, generally. But then again all wooden trawler of a similar condition will fall into the same price range. ( about half or less of a fiberglas boat.)

Look to spend about $30,000 or less for a well equipped, well maintained 32 foot trawler manufactured in 1980.

Many, if not most trawlers are overpowered. A 32 could easily get by with 90 hp. Although most in the 32 - 36 foot range have 120 hp .(For a single engine) Quite simply, most twin engine trawlers in that size range have twice the horse power. Here again I am speaking of true semi displacement or full displacement boats in the size and age you refer to.

More horsepower is not necessarily a bad thing but it is not necessarily needed. (Until you get into the more modern, faster trawlers.)

pete

Last edited:
More horsepower is not necessarily a bad thing but it is not necessarily needed. (Until you get into the more modern, faster trawlers.)

pete[/QUOTE]

Absolutely agree. Our 30' Willard Vega had a 50hp Perkins. Ran hull speed at less than 1 gph. We could sail down wind with a small spinnaker at hull speed with the steading sail mast! 200hp would be 150hp too much.

There was a video on the old GB forum of a 32 running almost 30 knots. If fiberglass they are an easy boat to restore and if under cover maintain. They are very nice fishing boats and weekend boats. If you learn to do brightwork can be a beautiful little boat.

Was recently on one and fell in love, and I have a 36 Europa that I love.

Done right could park it next to 65 Flemming and hold your own.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom