Green Bananas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jerry formally Epoxy Lady

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
KEEPAH
Vessel Make
43 ALBIN
I recently read a post here where the O P lamented that due to his increased age and limited agility he was going away from owning/maintaining a bigger boat. He did not see himself 'buying any Green bananas' ! I am not buying any either. So, I just listed my boat in the Forum Classified, much to my regret. No sympathy required, thx- it's time...

Greetings,
Mr. J. When one door closes another opens...Enjoy.

iu

Much appreciated

Many thx to you for the sentiment, I hope the 'door' doesn't hit me in the --- !

My mom lived with us after my dad died. She would always tell my wife not to buy her large items like toothpaste, etc because she wasn’t going to live that long. She live with us for 20 years before passing away at 101.

I couldn't live in a house or apartment in a neighborhood. My plan, when someone tells me I need to move into a rest home, is fuel the boat, go to sea, and wait for it.

........., is fuel the boat, go to sea, and wait for it.

The thing is, while that is a good idea. I am not sure I could do that.
I mean, what is the correct amount of fuel for this kind of thing?

Is it a full tank?
Half tank?
Just enough to get off shore?

Then there are so many other considerations?
What about the water tank.
How about the waste tank.

Do you fly a quarantine flag? Diver down? Or I am altering my course?

Does one continue maintenance routines? VHF on or off?
Then there is the whole matter of what to wear.

So many choices and no guidelines. Not sure I could really do that.

I'm sure you made the right call. She's a beaut, hope the new owners appreciate her!

In my travels, I've seen a lot of "broken dreams." Boats whose owners weren't able to keep up with the maintenance for whatever reason. It's really sad. I've promised myself I won't let that happen to any boat I own. I hope I will know when it's time, and do the right thing.

Want a Viking funeral. Unfortunately it’s illegal in Massachusetts. So changed plans. Will go out to international waters with two boats. Loved ones come back on the boat not burning. They stick around until it’s certain my boat goes down a 1m or burns completely. Have no issue using a wooden 12 1/2 as my coffin.

Been surprised by the number of 80+ year olds I saw internationally cruising. They take on one or two personal attendant(s) to meet daily needs and serve as skipper and just kept going. Not infrequently one of the couple was actively dementing or physically compromised. Calculus was they could avoid SNIF or NH expenses for a much longer time before the big sleep so the cost could be absorbed.

People shrink their horizons. International to domestic . Sail to power. Snowbirding to seasonal. Big to little. Even with that you’re still on the water above the fish and below the sky regardless of what boat and where. But boats deteriorate faster when not used than when used. For us we’ll back out when the boat tells us to. I hate abandoned or grossly under used boats slowly dying. If you love boats I don’t see how you can be a party to that.

Want a Viking funeral. Unfortunately it’s illegal in Massachusetts. So changed plans. Will go out to international waters with two boats. Loved ones come back on the boat not burning. They stick around until it’s certain my boat goes down a 1m or burns completely. Have no issue using a wooden 12 1/2 as my coffin.

Been surprised by the number of 80+ year olds I saw internationally cruising. They take on one or two personal attendant(s) to meet daily needs and serve as skipper and just kept going. Not infrequently one of the couple was actively dementing or physically compromised. Calculus was they could avoid SNIF or NH expenses for a much longer time before the big sleep so the cost could be absorbed.

People shrink their horizons. International to domestic . Sail to power. Snowbirding to seasonal. Big to little. Even with that you’re still on the water above the fish and below the sky regardless of what boat and where. But boats deteriorate faster when not used than when used. For us we’ll back out when the boat tells us to. I hate abandoned or grossly under used boats slowly dying. If you love boats I don’t see how you can be a party to that.
===========================

at 82 with 40+ sailing and cruising like to add to the above

overall costs increase, more slip stay vs anchoring
repairs from DIY to using mechanics, etc.
hiring crew for specific stretches (gave up on volunteers)
Flight back home costs to check the house, visit with loved ones.

Transition from a couple to single again if a loss, that means smaller boat?hanging on to existing?

If we assume, getting to the boat is already a destination, then any port is a plus, gravy sort of speak.
Shrinking horizons vs changing opportunities?

Left home in Morehead City late May, currently in New Bedford, MA.
Initially to Halifax, cancelled due to weather and fires raging in Canada.
Leaving aboard for last 4 months.
No watering and mowing the lawn, a plus.

Found to be a topic of interest, people are curious about my age, sailing alone, etc

In general, found the community to be very considerate and helpful, when approaching a new marina have no problems telling I am alone and "a very old guy" and appreciate all the help they can provide.

Got to go, walk to New Bedford downtown for exercise,then on to Tia Maria for a Portuguese omelette, and back.

Just unplugged the slow cooker,Thai pork for tonight.

Life is good

A boatbuilder once told me that couples cruising on one of his boats would add 20 years to their active lifes. I think he's right.

Look at anyplace cruisers congregate - many are OLD - in their 80's but still cruising. There's no doubt in my mind that cruising couples stay physically active longer than those who retire ashore.

It's the physical excercise because almost every boat has steps, there's walking on docks and ramps, the boat yoga of reaching into the bilge, the mental excercise of fixing a broken bilge pump. The core expertise, reflex training, and balance of moving around a boat in a swell.

I once chatted with an 80 year old cruiser in The Bahamas who said he hated to go back to his Texas home town because all of his friends just sit around and talk about their physical problems and how many pills they take a day. He said he didn't take anything but an occaisional Tylenol.

Of course, it doesn't work for some - some ailments even living on a boat can't fix.

On our circumnav, at Neiaufu, Tonga, we met David Lewis, who wrote We, the Navigators. He was 80 at the time, sailing into the harbor on a 32 foot sloop, singlehanded. If I remember correctly, he was coming from Samoa, around 300 miles away.

We the Navigators is a great read -- basically a text on how the Polynesians managed to sail thousands of miles between the islands of the Pacific.

Jim

D you’re someone I’d like to meet. A man after my own heart. Good on you. For a good meal the New Bedford yacht club is a surprise. The whaling museum is worth a look. The Portuguese food festival is amazing and great fun.

green bananas

D you’re someone I’d like to meet. A man after my own heart. Good on you. For a good meal the New Bedford yacht club is a surprise. The whaling museum is worth a look. The Portuguese food festival is amazing and great fun.

nice tip re Yacht club

Found New Bedford a delightful place to spend time.
Staying at Pope's Island Marina. Very cruiser friendly.
Walking distance to downtown, the Museum extremely educational on the history of whaling as well as the e
almost extinction of whales.

National Parks has also a very nice museum.

Uber educated me on the Portuguese influence (many drivers with Portuguese background.)

life is good

PS

Now at 600 mg of ibuprofen a day
Joints need to get on with the program:dance:

I'm an 81 yo liveaboard. The admiral is....not a youngster, not a trophy. We each play tennis at least 3 times a week. We play 2 hours of doubles each time. On off days I go to the gym and maintain our boat. Living aboard for 13 years now and wouldn't have it any other way. We're convinced the boating life keeps us young.

I'm an 81 yo liveaboard. The admiral is....not a youngster, not a trophy. We each play tennis at least 3 times a week. We play 2 hours of doubles each time. On off days I go to the gym and maintain our boat. Living aboard for 13 years now and wouldn't have it any other way. We're convinced the boating life keeps us young.

=========================

we are fortunate
boating, living aboard
the physical and psychological power to keep up, as well as the financial freedom to afford it.

I respect those feeling their time to move out of this lifestyle is up, as long they keep their interest in life

There is no right answer, there are no established milestones, just the determination to enjoy life in our own terms.

Boating is a lifestyle and also a tool to continue involved

Our society still hanging on either a concept of "too old" or keep a "youthful outlook"

I used to be "geriatric" now "octogenarian" (82)

Not sure if I can tell the difference.
May be how much ibuprofen?:D

again

life is good

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom