Greetings from a new GB32 owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tazling

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
DARXIDE
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 32
I just recently bought a 1969 GB32, a little rough around the edges but sound and serviceable.

So I thought I'd drop by and say hello. Certain to have some questions later as I dig into projects, but one immediate trivial question is...

... what diameter is the shaft for the flybridge steering wheel and is it standard? Please don't throw anything :) but after my first exciting experience getting away from a dock I think I'd like to replace that salty, pretty spoked wooden wheel with a stainless destroyer wheel plus suicide knob for manoeuvring in tight quarters.

Such wheels are out there but I have no idea whether they will fit the shaft.

I come from the tiller steered sailboat world -- gone to the dark side due to age and injury -- and so am not familiar with these cable steering systems.

Welcome. Those woodies are nice. Can’t help with the shaft diameter on a 32. I can measure ours if you want to take a chance. (84 GB 36)

Welcome.

80% likely your helm pump shaft is a 1" straight shaft. 15% chance it's a 3/4" tapered shaft. 5% its something crazy. Wheels are pretty expensive so not something to buy without verifying. You may need a puller to get the wheel off and check.

Good luck. Cute boat.

Peter

Welcome.

80% likely your helm pump shaft is a 1" straight shaft. 15% chance it's a 3/4" tapered shaft. 5% its something crazy. Wheels are pretty expensive so not something to buy without verifying. You may need a puller to get the wheel off and check.

Good luck. Cute boat.

Peter

Well it is cable steering not hydraulic so there's no pump :). but I see what you mean. I'll look before leaping! thanks for the warning.

PS like your Willard. The little Willards were definitely a candidate when I was shopping, but this old GB32 popped up and was hard to resist.

Last edited:
Welcome.

Good luck. Cute boat.

Peter
Island Gypsy copied GB, on my IG I didn`t need a puller removing it for some polishing.
The traditional wheel is a pretty thing, shame to replace it with a destroyer type, the old style one spun easily enough for me.

There's probably a key in the helm wheel shaft which will likely come off with the wheel. My GB wheels always wiggled off without too much effort.

Welcome aboard! You did not come to the dark side, you came into the light.

Attachments

• 8A972BE4-DE05-4F44-ABCA-85123EDF124C.jpg
    8A972BE4-DE05-4F44-ABCA-85123EDF124C.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 46
Welcome to the dark side - we have cookies!

I have the chain/sprocket / cable steering too. The shaft is probably metric like the bores of a guide pulley I replaced. The nut is easy to remove and the wheel also.

I have the chain/sprocket / cable steering too. The shaft is probably metric like the bores of a guide pulley I replaced. The nut is easy to remove and the wheel also.
Like he said. A bit of cunning twisting of a stout screwdriver blade behind the wheel hub where it meets the shaft will generally see it come away.

But yes, please don't toss that lovely wheel and go for a horrible stainless one. Those ship-like wheels are one of the outstanding features of those boats. They strip back and varnish up nicely with a bit of TLC. I did the same to the FB one later.
If I might give you another tip. Get familiar with manoeuvring your boat from the downstairs helm before you do it from the FB. Believe me, it is easier to judge distances, and you're nearer the action when it comes to docking lines, etc. yeah - I know some will disagree, but my old CHB 34 was very similar to your GB 32.

that gave me a much needed chuckle today, thanks!

I had two of those big teak wheels on my GB42, and their weight in a spin was helpful in getting the cable driven rudders where they needed to be. After an end-to-end loosening and lubing, I could put a finger on a spoke and with a mighty heavy spin the rubbers from lock to lock - no suicide knob needed. In bending down to do this, I found the spokes a bit too close to my chin for comfort. Off to the welder and on with a custom shiny SS ring. The added weight made it even easier to steer the boat.

Attachments

• helm seat from rear.jpg
    helm seat from rear.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 38
I had two of those big teak wheels on my GB42, and their weight in a spin was helpful in getting the cable driven rudders where they needed to be. After an end-to-end loosening and lubing, I could put a finger on a spoke and with a mighty heavy spin the rubbers from lock to lock - no suicide knob needed. In bending down to do this, I found the spokes a bit too close to my chin for comfort. Off to the welder and on with a custom shiny SS ring. The added weight made it even easier to steer the boat.

Nice mod on the wheel. Looks great.

The flying bridge wheel was a bit weary in the varnish department over the years, and I took in to a furniture refinisher to be dipped and stripped. I then did all the sanding and varnishing, but brushing on varnish was not going to cut it; so, I got a few aerosol cans of varnish. It came out quite well.

GB32 wheel

I agree with Peter B about docking from the lower station. When we first got our GB-32 the previous owner worked with me on docking from the flybridge but we soon learned that it was much better to be at the lower helm to deal with lines etc when needed. Getting up and down the ladder can be slow and somewhat hazardous, and especially now that I am 20+ years older than when we got the boat
GB32-277 1972

I would also think replacing the wheel would degrade the value of such a lovely classic boat substantially and needlessly.

You can add a “suicide knob ”to the original wheel, if you want. A PO did it to the upper helm wheel in my boat.

Last edited:
I too recently moved to "the dark side". GB32 are beautiful boats, good choice. My GB36 is 1973 and I am replacing the cable system with hydraulic. The equipment is in good shape but a few "fish hooks" on the cables in a few spots. Worth getting a look at the entire length of cables. Good luck.

I don’t know why people say the dark side is power boats. All of the power boats I have owned are much brighter than most sailboats.

Welcome aboard Tazling!! I recently bought a GB as well and this forum is priceless.

Welcome aboard fellow GB Woodie owner! We have a 1967 and the shaft for the helm wheel is a straight shaft with a keyway. We have gone over the steering from one end to the other including the steering boxes and have photos if you need them. Our steering is smooth enough that we could spin that wheel from chock to chock with one finger and it is all cables and pulleys. If it is extremely stiff I would suggest at the dock disconnecting the cables in the lazarette and try turning the wheel with no rudder and seeing whether the stiffness is the rudder itself or the cables and wheel. It also could be as simple as replacing the rudder packing on the rudder shaft if the rudder packing is very old. Gorgeous boats!

Back
Top Bottom