Ground wire on starter considerations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryastu

Veteran Member
I’m replacing my starter. Th old starter I could ground between the starter and the engine block. However, the new starter, I’m required to connect the the ground to a post in the front of the starter. The ground cable I have is about 3-inches to short to make this connection work. Is it acceptable to get a short extension and tie it between the starter and existing ground, or is replacing the entire ground the preferable option?

Thanks for the replies!

I’m replacing my starter. Th old starter I could ground between the starter and the engine block. However, the new starter, I’m required to connect the the ground to a post in the front of the starter. The ground cable I have is about 3-inches to short to make this connection work. Is it acceptable to get a short extension and tie it between the starter and existing ground, or is replacing the entire ground the preferable option?

Thanks for the replies!
It's typical for a starter to ground through the engine it's bolted into.
As long as the engine is well grounded, why not connect the dedicated
starter ground wire to the block, via one of the attaching bolts?

My port engine was running rough and conking out a few weeks ago. Had the hardest time figuring out why -- plug wires good, changed the fuel filter, checked all the routine items (Marine Power (GM) 454, electronic fuel injection). In looking everything over I found the relatively small casing ground wire from the alternator to a post on the engine block had fallen off. Ring connector, the ring just broke in half, maybe screwed on too tight. Of course I fabricated a new one, one gauge heavier wire just for kicks, marine-grade connectors both ends, properly crimped. I didn't expect it to make any difference though -- thought it was just an incidental problem. Heck some alternators don't have separate or additional ground wires from the casing at all and the whole thing is bolted to the bracket and block anyway, how could that little wire possibly make a difference? But the wire flopping around bugged me so I replaced it just for general purposes. To my surprise, made a huge difference -- my rough-running problem vanished. One of the guys on the dock said that EFI engines are very fussy about voltage flow.

Anyway, don't know what you have but there's my story on doing a proper job with a grounding wire. I guess you could do an extension, and not to be fussy, but why not just do it right? Relatively minor expense and task. My two cents anyway.

I rebuilt a started this year. I was surprised to find a connecting wire the length of the starter, going from the post that you reference on the front to one of the mounting bolts that mount the starter to the block. The long ground from the battery connects to a more accessible mounting bolt at the block.

Thank you all for the replies. After considering the feedback from the post, and from outside sources, I went ahead and made up a brand-new cable.

Thanks again, Ryan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom