Gulfstar 36 to 37 Nordic Tug?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kpinnn

Vessel Name
Periwinkle
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
Looking for some thoughts and possible experiences. For the last 9 years we have owned a 36 ft Gulfstar trawler. Cruise about 6 to 7 knots twin 65 hp diesels and one 5kw westerbek genset. It was built in 1975 and has been a good boat. Good bones basic maintenance. We have traveled the entire East Coast in it. If I had any complaint it would be it's rolling in beam seas. The most recent issue is the need to climb the stairs from the swim platform to rear deck. This is something my wife does not enjoy when on mooring in rough seas. After looking at a Nordic Tug she liked a lot about it especially walking form swim platform to rear deck and into salon. I like single engine mantenance. I am told a lot of room in engine room. Burn 2 to 2 1/2 gal per hour at hull speed. general build seems to be much sturdier than Gulfstar. of course along with this sturdy build comes a price. Being a semi displacement hull what can I expect in beam seas. (say 3 -4 ft)? If it weren't for the climbing to deck issue I could install a gyro for a lot less than buying a Nordic Tug.

Most trawlers dislike a beam sea because of their full keel gets pushed by the beam sea at slow speeds, the pilothouse adds weight up top (increased tipping motion) and smooth bottom. Does the Nordic have stabilizers ? I am not a fan of NT because I think they lack storage inside and out. We look at them every year and walk away.

Speed can very much be your friend in a SD boat. I have no direct experience with the NT, but I'd bet the ride gets better if you bump it up to 10 knots or so. Plus you spend less time in the unpleasant conditions.

I have a Nordic Tug, love that boat. Yes, they are pretty rolly in a beam sea. My solution is to tack! It often takes just a few points off the your course to make a big improvement in comfort.

Gulfstar makes great boats. I can't understand why so many of them have twin engines.
Gets a little tight in the bilge. But like one Wag stated, "It only takes one engine to get home, that's why I have two"

I guess I could modify that to say, "It only takes one engine to get home, that's why I have a Ford Lehman"

pete

The trouble with two engines is it doubles your chances of an engine failure.

The trouble with two engines is it doubles your chances of an engine failure.
Better still, with no engine there`s no risk of engine failure.

The ONLY thing I don't like about my NT 37 is rolling in beam seas. Can avoid by changing course, speeding up some, or sometimes just staying put. Does not greatly annoy me very often.

We cruise BC and SE Alaska approx 4,000 nm each summer, at 7-7.5 knots, less than 2 gal/hour. A good bit single-handed, a lot with one addtl crew, and some with 2 or 3 addtl crew on board.

We eat really well, very often fresh caught seafood. Our galley and pantry are very well equipped.

Admittedly I tend to compare with our earlier trailer cruisers, but storage, comfort, and amenities seem like plenty for one, two, or three of us and our small dog.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Trawler Forum mobile app

The ONLY thing I don't like about my NT 37 is rolling in beam seas. Can avoid by changing course, speeding up some, or sometimes just staying put. Does not greatly annoy me very often.

We cruise BC and SE Alaska approx 4,000 nm each summer, at 7-7.5 knots, less than 2 gal/hour. A good bit single-handed, a lot with one addtl crew, and some with 2 or 3 addtl crew on board.

We eat really well, very often fresh caught seafood. Our galley and pantry are very well equipped.

Admittedly I tend to compare with our earlier trailer cruisers, but storage, comfort, and amenities seem like plenty for one, two, or three of us and our small dog.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Trawler Forum mobile app
Hi Richard,
You are the guy I would like to speak to. We are looking at the 37 ft NT. I have a number of questions. Our cruising is generally on the coast of Maine. Quite similar to the areas you have mentioned. If you would send me your number and when best to reach you I will call you or you can call me. Ken 1-413-237-0897. This is Massachusetts so Eastern time zone. I think we have three hours difference.
Thanks, Ken

One thing to watch for on the NT is chine slap. I thought the Gulfstar had soft chines, so no chine rail hence less chance of slap. The NT is notorious for wave slap on the chines and since the sleeping accommodation are in the bow you can't avoid hearing it. Some people don't mind this, some people hate it. You can read about people who have actually filled the chines to stop it, but then I imagine the spray is worse. I know that for us coming from a round bilged wood boat (very quiet) to a hard chine FG boat the noise from the chine slap was an unpleasant surprise. I've adapted but I wish I'd known about it first.

Have the 42 not the 37.
Find there’s plenty of storage but it’s in weird places. We use the very large unoccupied space under the master stateroom queen berth. There’s extensive storage under the stairs leading up to the master as well. That space has the grey water tank down in the bilge but otherwise is across the entire beam of the boat. There’s two large stringers running fore to aft to demarcate it into three spaces and allow you to put in straps to keep everything in place even when it gets bumpy. The lazerette is large. We lost the middle section to the SeaKeeper but use the starboard side. There’s room on the port side but also plumbing, the fresh water pump and other stuff so I keep it empty.
All the engine stuff is in the ED but store tools in the port salon locker and one small chest in the guest stateroom. Electrical and the rest goes behind the starboard settee with my raft, emergency stuff and miscellaneous under that settee.
We initially used the guest stateroom for storage but now other than the washer dryer in the lower half of the closet it’s empty
Under the flybridge settees there’s more storage (haven’t used it yet). And a large storage area under the flybridge bridge. May put light things in there. Don’t want to put weight up that high. So it’s been like any boat I’ve ever owned. Doesn’t matter what size. There’s never enough storage. Compared to other trawlers we looked at storage is good imho.
As others have said just because we’re in a SD and coastal stabilization is a life changer. Hadn’t seen serious weather but have seen 3-4’ occasional bigger. Is has been either going down or up Jersey coast so on the beam. The SeaKeeper makes it pleasant as does being in the pilot house not the flybridge. Would think there’s no reason fins or Magnus wouldn’t be the same.
So far have found the chine slap varies. Haven’t figured it out entirely yet. But seems more annoying in a small range of wave heights. More annoying with chop than swell. I actually like it. Find it reassuring when it’s unchanged. Means no dragging nor wind shifts. Hasn’t effected my sleep. Wife isn’t so sanguine. She likes to read or use the iPad in bed as much as I tell her every formal study shows this is bad for your sleep and health. Then she doesn’t like it. But like me says not worth doing anything about it. Boat is surprisingly dry while running. Even above hull speed. We frequently leave the pilot house doors open.

Last edited:
One thing to watch for on the NT is chine slap. I thought the Gulfstar had soft chines, so no chine rail hence less chance of slap. The NT is notorious for wave slap on the chines and since the sleeping accommodation are in the bow you can't avoid hearing it. Some people don't mind this, some people hate it. You can read about people who have actually filled the chines to stop it, but then I imagine the spray is worse. I know that for us coming from a round bilged wood boat (very quiet) to a hard chine FG boat the noise from the chine slap was an unpleasant surprise. I've adapted but I wish I'd known about it first.

We have a 2006 Nordic Tug 37.

It is a very seaworthy and confidence inspiring vessel.

The chine slap was a very real issue for us & would significantly interfere with our sleep. (Think of a midget with a bad sense of rhythm intermittently pounding on the hull with a rubber hammer…)

We filled in the chines and it has made a world of difference.

I do not notice it being any wetter when driving into brisk head seas & we’ve seen plenty of those in our travels.

- evan

Last edited:
We have a 2001 NT 37 that we’ve cruised on long trips to Canada and Alaska in the PNW and have the same experience as other owners who have chimed in on this thread.

A bit rolly in a beam sea but significantly mitigated by speed and course adjustments. Have looked into various stabilization options but not worth the money/space/power consumption.

Bow slap is intolerable without chine fill in, which we did. Not cheap but worth every penny.

Easily accessible storage is limited but there is lots of space under the bunks we have never filled up. No problem provisioning for two weeks or more on the hook at a time.

Insanely solid build quality. Have been in some big, steep seas, felt uncomfortable but never unsafe. An absolute tank of a boat. Electrical routing is clean and logical. Systems are top notch. Room to work in the engine room. Interior is gorgeous.

Bottom line: there is nothing else I would rather have at that size, not even close. The range at trawler speeds (up to 1200 nm) combined with the ability to go faster (14-17 knots) if you need in a package that will accommodate a couple comfortably for extended trips and guests for shorter ones, handle any reasonable coastal weather, and fit in a forty foot slip is just unbeatable in my book.

DM me if you would like to talk!

Back
Top Bottom